Suzuki GS1100e

We had that "gold" one in the shop. Big headlight, very odd color (I defy you to name it) but one of my mechanics said it had great handling. I should have bought it but I was a poor college student.
 
Those Suzuki GS's were such fine bikes. We nearly bought one after being much impressed by a test ride at the local dealer. We were in the process of house hunting at the time and so the GS was put on the shelf. Should have bought it.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Man we have had a lot of the same bikes

Here was mine. Big, fast, torquey and fun to ride. Gave it to my son when I bought a V65 Sabre.



BTW the Vance and Hines for into 1 made a lot of "tone" drove me crazy on long rides. Which is why it was my last aftermarket pipe.

I know - weird, isn't it?

I was really tempted to put an aftermarket exhaust on mine, but since much of my riding was a 70 mile round trip into the office in L.A., I figured it wasn't the best decision!

Massively comfortable, torquey-powerful bike. Made a great mile-eater, though I often wished for some kind of wind protection on the open road. This was actually the bike I was trying to re-live when I got the CB1100.
Rboe_imp said:
Hahaha - yeah, when telling people about my bike back then, I often heard, "Oh, is that that bike with the big-a** headlight?".
I always called mine "champagne" colored. Still love that color, and the way that shiny paint complemented the black on the bike.
postoak_imp said:
What year are those? They look like later models from the design.
I think mine was an '83 also...or was it '82...? :blush:
 
Here's a good site for info on this legend.
The GSResources

I've owned mine since 1983 and still puts a smile on my face. Purchased a 1982 in 83, its all stock except for a set of progressive rear shocks.
 
I think the 81 had the square headlight didn't they, and they went to round in 82 and 83?
 
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but looking at a 1982 GS1100E tomorrow morning that looks very clean from the photos. Also considering another option a 2013 or 2014 CB1100. Fuel injection is definitely nice, but wondering if the GS might be almost as nice for about 1/3 the price.
 
Given the price difference, a lot of buyers would have a tough time justifying the cost of a CB over a vintage GS, but I agree, dollar for dollar, feature for feature, there's no comparison.
 
dr_rock, what do you want? An old bike because you love it? Or an old-looking bike with contemporary engineering, improved rideability, brakes and all that stuff?
 
If the 82 was thoroughly restored it might be a very nice reliable bike.. if not you are dealing with 36 year old electrics (alternators etc), , switches, light bulbs, fork seals, fork oil, throttle and clutch cables, carb boots, acid filled batteries, brake lines, fuses, master cylinders, clutch plates, chain and sprockets, possible rusty gas tanks, fuel lines, wheel bearing and seals, .... and carburetors. Take it from someone who has owned a few "classics", keeping an old bike running on a daily basis is not as much fun as riding a new bike on a daily basis. If you don't ride much, a few hundred miles a month, 2000 miles a year, and don't mind working on them, then it's no big deal,. People LOVE looking at old bike, LOVE reminiscing about them, very few LOVE owning one, if it's their daily rider.
 
I'm a big fan of the GS, they look great, they handled great (have not been on one in years so who knows now that I have more experience). But the CB has a beefier frame than the other models - even GS's.

Carbs: EFI is alone worth the price of admission in my book.

Brakes: CB has wonderful modern brakes. No experience with GS brakes though.

Age: New materials are always better than well aged ones. Especially the plastics (read an article on the problems museums, e.g. Smithsonian, have with aging plastics as compounds leach out and discolour or simply turn the plastic to mush - one striking case was a liner for the older spacesuits).

Emotionally: Toss up here as there may be reasons in your ID that demand you get the GS in which case you must. But get the CB too. :D

Case study (of one :) ) I have had a hankering for a naked Goldwing of the early 80's. I rode a buddies late 70's (79?) naked wing and the CB was a much better machine. Rose coloured glasses and all that. If you get a chance to ride them back to back I'd be very surprised if you still picked the GS.
 
I just swapped out my Tiger 800 for a buddy’s ‘80’s CB900F for the weekend. Comparing it to the CB1100 I just sold, it’s unthinkable that I’d go for one, or something like it, instead of the modern CB-1100 to get my I-4 Honda rocks off. Mind you, the 900 is a lovely bike, looks fabulous and is smooth for what it is. But the passage of time and technology is real, especially if you wish to ride rather than wrench.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top