Sure Beats Workin'

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
My wife is an accountant and, like many in her profession, some of her Sundays prior to April 15th are consumed with preparing income tax returns for friends and family members. Today was her brother, sister-in-law, and nephew's turn to stop by the house with their paperwork and drink beer and watch basketball while she crunched numbers. Her father also decided to stop by, although he is a retired accountant himself and so has no need for Cheryl's assistance or, for that matter, that of any fancy computer program. I love her family, I do, but the weather looked good and once I heard "I have to work. Just be back for dinner because my brother is buying", I was out the door.

Like my friend Mentalyguitarded recently reported, I had no particular route in mind as I pressed my left grip and turned my CB1100 northbound out of my driveway. There was a fair amount of traffic for a Sunday afternoon and i decided that I'd just scoot on down to Sheridan Road for a ride along the shore of Lake Michigan. I could check out how The Ravines survived the winter and still be back in time for potstickers and Hot Pepper Beef from our favorite Chinese place. Probably a beer to wish it down, too.

As I meandered along typically boring suburban streets, I thought about Cheryl balancing debits and credits or whatever it is that accountants do. It dawned on me that, even in traffic on boring roads, riding sure beats working. This "sure beats workin'" phrase kept popping into my head with each car stopping to turn into a shopping center and with each green light that turned to red before I could get through the intersection. It became my day's riding mantra, I guess.

I had mantra'd my way across Niles, Morton Grove, the Village of Golf, Skokie, and a little sliver of Evanston. I was heading east through Wilmette when i realized that I was within just a few blocks of where I first started working and within just a few miles of the second place. I figure that my mantra put this notion into my head. A slight change in route took me past both places.

My first place of employment. Mid-Central Printing and Mailing. I kept the place clean, drove deliveries, fetched ink for the pressmen, and sometimes got to run some of the machines. My boss, John, was strict, but fair. I learned to be on time and to do my best here.
73053665d9d4a8f05f15b7aa0cbf9962.jpg


I worked there for a few years after school, weekends, and summers. I was lured away by the glamor of being a pump jockey at a gas station in my hometown of Winnetka, just up Green Bay Road a piece.

Fred's Winnetka 76 (although it's now a Mobil station). Fred passed away very recently. He was a very good man. He treated his customers and employees with respect and expected to be treated the same way in return; and usually was. He taught me the value of quality customer service and that the key to providing it was having empathy. In those days, we checked the oil and cleaned the windows on every car. Fun Fact: For reasons unknown, it typically takes 20% longer than average to clean a windshield on convertible with a pretty girl behind the wheel.
cdffda91fbe5f0346e238a08d561f999.jpg


Fred's is about a mile from the lake, so I was quickly back on my unplanned planned route. As I approached Sheridan Road, I noticed that the street I was on continued east across it and looked like it might provide me a path down to the lake. Alas, it dead-ended at a private drive. Some of the wealthiest people in Illinois live along Sheridan Road and membership in that club includes "on premises" access to one of the most magnificent bodies of water on the planet.
"Entry Prohibited"
416e222d351020b03e2c91d5279ce83c.jpg


The Ravines survived the winter better than I expected, but the road really is in desperate need of resurfacing and the snow, ice, and the removal thereof have left tiny scree fields along the shoulders. The bare trees reveal the beautiful homes planted on the hillsides that are virtually invisible from the road from May through November.

There's a distinct lack of places to stop along this short stretch of curvy roads, so I attempted to capture a few pictures while on my "test run" through the ravines. I managed take a few more passes at speed, but still a bit slower than had it been mid-June, before turning west and south to complete my counterclockwise loop for the day.
db2370b465ad6c077e19e35b9a02d71a.jpg

b45052473eeff03a2f5b97f832603e56.jpg


The last interesting road on this loop is Forest Way Drive, it sweeps along to the east of the Skokie Lagoons, which are not in Skokie and, as far as I can tell, are not even lagoons. They are pretty, though. My bike is parked on the bicycle path for this picture. Coincidentally, my brother rode his bicycle along this path within an hour of when I parked on it. In a few days, maybe a week, my sister will be kayaking on the water beyond; just as soon as it becomes water again. I felt pleasantly connected to them both while posing my bike for the picture.
5889663dc41882ae509280c603b5c073.jpg


I found a new route back home that avoided, for the most part, the suburban grid with traffic lights every 1/4 mile. It took a little longer, but it was prettier, just not photo worthy. I arrived home with time to spare ahead of dinner. My IPA paired nicely with the Chinese food and they both paired nicely with time on my bike and some time with my family, too. Sure beats workin'.
 
Looks like a great ride. About 3/4 of my rides start out with no destination or route in mind. They're the best ones.

Looks like Chicagoland is warming up. I was born in Evanston and lived in Willmette for awhile before my family decided to escape the Chicago winters and move to the desert. I still remember Sheridan Road along the lakefront. Great views!
 
I've never been to Chicago, but I enjoyed the report a great deal. Nothing like a meandering ride with no particular destination in mind.

Thanks MTC.
 
Great report Sea. Neat that you were able to visit the first places that you worked, and that they both brought back fond memories for you.

My only contact with Chicago is begrudgingly riding through it on my way north, or trying to figure out how to get around it so I don't have to begrudgingly drive through it. To me Chicago is right up there with Atlanta as places I hate to have to go through. Kind of nice to see there is a "not a bumper to bumper 80 mph 24 hours a day" area of Chicago, that can actually be enjoyed by motorcycle.
 
Thread starter
The areas I described above are suburbs of Chicago. There's very little in the way of what we would normally consider good motorcycling areas within the city itself. However, I could take you on a motorcycle tour of Chicago that, I think, would explain why I would choose to live with the traffic, and the politics, and the cold. All I need is a couple of hours of your time, preferably early in the morning. Next time you're headed north, don't bypass Chicago, embrace it. For half a day, at least.
 
I was actually thinking about heading that way one day this summer to ride your "my road", just to see what it's like. Maybe spend 2 nights then head back home on the third day. It's what, like 8 hours from here to your place?
 
Thread starter
8 hours or so, I guess. Maybe a little longer if you're staying off the interstate. I avoid I65 north of Indy like the plague, even in a car.

We could meet you for dinner on your arrival night, maybe tour the "Alphabet" roads in southeast Wisconsin on your full day here, and ride downtown via Lake Shore Drive EARLY on your departure day. I'd recommend a Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday trip--a lot less traffic downtown on Saturday and especially Sunday mornings.

Let me know your prospective dates. I can check my schedule and Chicago's festival schedule. May be able to provide some lodging advice, too.
 
Another excellent write up. I really enjoyed the read and the photos. I have a brother and sister-in-law in Chicago and recently started toying with the idea of taking a few weeks off and riding out to see them after their baby is born. I would take the historic Route 66 a mere 2100 miles (one way) and give myself a week to get there, a week in the windy city, then a week to get home. I'd stay at the kitschiest motels I could find along the way. If I make this trip a reality, I'll reach out to you and hopefully we can get together for a ride and some of that famous deep dish pizza.
 
Thread starter
MG...I'm a Rt. 66 fan (don't know how else to describe this affliction). I'm not an expert on the history, but I did manage to annoy the h*ll out of my wife for a couple of weeks when we drove to Arizona. I was armed with a "Mother Road" book which had maps and descriptions of places that once were and that still are. "Look, hon. There's a section of the old route 66" I would say. She would typically reply, "Looks like any other frontage road I've ever seen". I would randomly pull off or, more annoyingly, make her pull off the interstate to see some hotel shaped like a wigwam or a restaurant with a cool neon sign. The point is, though, that a ride that follows historic route 66 would be epic, I hope you do it, and of course we would ride together for fun and pizza.

Also, if plans change and you fly or drive out here, let me know that, too. It might be possible for you to experience the speed of the red for a day or so while you're here. :)

(PS. I REALLY need to learn to be more concise in my posts....I sure can blather on sometimes.)
 
Very nice report and pics ES.

I especially like the shot of the dead-end road with the fancy homes also showing in your mirror. Not sure if that was intentional but it was a nice touch....also, you made me hungry for Chinese food!
 
Thread starter
Blockhead. ...it was intentional.

Ferret: So, are you heading to this part of the world this summer? If so, let me know when so we can roll out the candy-red carpet for you.
 
I hope to Sea, just depends on how things go, but I'd certainly like to.
 
Back
Top