Supply Chain Issues

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
Has anyone else had challenges getting OEM parts for their bike lately? I have experienced difficulties never seen before getting OEM parts for my Hondas. Most recently, I ordered a front and rear sprocket for my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe, and was told that there weren't any available in any of the American Honda warehouses. The dealer told me that the expected date of delivery to the warehouse in California is August 21, but no promises. I have had similar experiences purchasing brake pads, and fuel injector o-rings. One reputable on-line retailer (that I will not state the name of) took my order for 2002 Honda VFR800 brake pads, then contacted me three weeks later and told me they were not available. Luckily, I was able to purchase these pads from another on-line distributor. I placed another order for brake pads for a different bike, my 1998 VFR800, with the same distributor that told me that brake pads for my 2002 VFR800 were not available (I went back to this distributor because they had the best prices for OEM parts). After waiting for four weeks my order was mysteriously cancelled, and my credit card was refunded. When I contacted this distributor by phone I was told that if they do not receive the parts from the supplier in thirty days the order is automatically cancelled because they assume the part is no longer available. When I went back to this distributor's website and looked up the exact same brake pads that I had ordered for both of these bikes I discovered that the prices had gone up significantly for both of them, but no mention that they were no longer available. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced similar supply chain issues.
 
I’ve had good success sourcing OE parts (and various moto accessories) from Europe, mostly Italy and the UK. They’re less expensive than buying from a U.S. retailer and the selection and availability seems to be better. Just today I ordered an unobtanium NOS part for my ‘75 CB360 from Brazil.
 
Thread starter
It's been almost one month now, and my OEM sprockets have not arrived yet. I am sure it has nothing to do with the dealer because I've been purchasing through them for over 30n years.
 
Yes, similarly here. I've been waiting on a right foot step that's status just went from 'backordered,1 month out' to 'backordered, no eta.'

I'll name the reputed sellers - discounthondaparts and partzillla. Their solution - cancel orders. After weeks of waiting.

I'm not impressed with the customer service and wish I could say otherwise.
 
Thread starter
I'm still waiting on my OEM drive sprocket from Honda; it's been almost six weeks since I placed my order.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
I’ve been waiting for two horns, stay ++ for ‘17EX almost six months :(
Six months is a long time.

Six weeks is long, but par for the course these days.

I had to wait 10 days for a large shipment received from China yesterday. (crazy)
 
I ordered some specific Honda bolts in June 2020. They still haven't arrived.
 
I see what you did there GO :)

Cormanus, what bolts? And, are you sure the order didn't get cancelled? That will happen sometimes if there is a big delay.
 
Au₂O₃ … :thumbsup: :rofl:

Lord Popgun, may have been cancelled. I’ve moved on now.
 
Worry about your Honda parts okay, but do worry more about your "body" parts too. Any more than harmless accident these days gets you into hospital, where the receptionist tells you that they are overworked, underpaid and more important seriously understaffed. It's not all due to Covid. People have to wait month for an operation which would have taken days to schedule in the past. So take extra good care of your Honda and the rider these days. It will pay.
 
Good advice for riders the world over, The Gecko.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Worry about your Honda parts okay, but do worry more about your "body" parts too. Any more than harmless accident these days gets you into hospital, where the receptionist tells you that they are overworked, underpaid and more important seriously understaffed. It's not all due to Covid. People have to wait month for an operation which would have taken days to schedule in the past. So take extra good care of your Honda and the rider these days. It will pay.
Agreed. This Honda rider is takin' care of business.
 
Boy did I ever have issues. As mentioned in another thread I just started, I had to have my fuel pump replaced. (Totally rusted out due to the seller in Florida withholding the info from me that the tank was filled with rust when I bought the bike from him. Grrrrrrrrr.......)

The mechanic tried to find an OEM replacement and from Honda it was going to be several months. He finally found a shop in San Diego that had perhaps the last one available and we got it, but at a premium price. I did not want an aftermarket unit.
 
Back
Top