Sunday ride to Big Sur

rdtshaw_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey All,

Just wanted to share a great ride I had on Sunday. I was supposed to meet up with a couple friends, but they couldn't make it. Happy to get out either way. :) Headed down to Carmel, CA at 9AM for coffee and a top off. Little chilly in the morning, but my fingers warmed up by 11. Light traffic and mostly courteous motorists heading down. Got to open it up to three digits on the straights passing Point Sur Lighthouse, and push it through some corners. Otherwise it was a nice leisurely roll amidst the normal ambling tourists. All this with a wonderful blues soundtrack playing in the BT headset. The CB is a wonderfully befitting vehicle for the winding road along the Pacific Coast. I couldn't ask for more!

Cheers,
Rob
rdtshaw









 
That's the ride I can't wait to do on mine. Used to live in Carmel Valley when I worked at the MBA Aquarium construction. Great place to be. If I get down there this summer I will send you a note and we can have a beer (or two) at Nepenthe (but you might have to wait a few minutes because my 3 digit speed days are long gone)...
 
Great photos! That's a beautiful drive and I've only done it in a car. I can only imagine how wonderful that must be on a bike, especially a CB!
 
Likely will be a long long time before I can ride my bike on these roads and see these sights with my own eyes. Thanks for the great photos in the meantime. :D
 
Looks like a brilliant place to ride. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Is that a black CB1100 with grey side covers? I thought the 2014 models had black side covers. It looks like my 2011 model.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the kind words. Would have been even better with a troop of fellow CB's riders!

HikerToo_imp said:
when does the fog start? All my pictures had fog in them, was that in July.....?
Spring and early morning tend to be best, but it's hit or miss. Sometimes its just nothing but fog and other times it's just in the low lying draws. The latter can be equally breath taking with the outcroppings jutting out of the fog and dying into the blue pacific.

Cormanus_imp said:
Looks like a brilliant place to ride. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Is that a black CB1100 with grey side covers? I thought the 2014 models had black side covers. It looks like my 2011 model.
It did have the black side covers but I bought a pair from another user here shortly after I got the bike. It was little too black, the grey/silver was a nice contrast. That said I've seen a couple all black ones here and there and it has grown on me. Cool to be able to swap it so easily.
 
rdtshaw_imp said:
Thanks for all the kind words. Would have been even better with a troop of fellow CB's riders!

HikerToo_imp said:
when does the fog start? All my pictures had fog in them, was that in July.....?
Spring and early morning tend to be best, but it's hit or miss. Sometimes its just nothing but fog and other times it's just in the low lying draws. The latter can be equally breath taking with the outcroppings jutting out of the fog and dying into the blue pacific.

Cormanus_imp said:
Looks like a brilliant place to ride. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Is that a black CB1100 with grey side covers? I thought the 2014 models had black side covers. It looks like my 2011 model.
It did have the black side covers but I bought a pair from another user here shortly after I got the bike. It was little too black, the grey/silver was a nice contrast. That said I've seen a couple all black ones here and there and it has grown on me. Cool to be able to swap it so easily.
Be careful what you wish for :cool:

I made it down there for a weekday hookey ride back in September, and I'm not opposed to heading back down some time. Must not be too shabby having quick access to it from where you sit!
 
I like the silver. Maybe it's just me :) Still looks good. That bike makes the scenery look even better :rolleyes:
 
rdtshaw_imp said:
Hey All,

Just wanted to share a great ride I had on Sunday. I was supposed to meet up with a couple friends, but they couldn't make it. Happy to get out either way. :) Headed down to Carmel, CA at 9AM for coffee and a top off. Little chilly in the morning, but my fingers warmed up by 11. Light traffic and mostly courteous motorists heading down. Got to open it up to three digits on the straights passing Point Sur Lighthouse, and push it through some corners. Otherwise it was a nice leisurely roll amidst the normal ambling tourists. All this with a wonderful blues soundtrack playing in the BT headset. The CB is a wonderfully befitting vehicle for the winding road along the Pacific Coast. I couldn't ask for more!

Cheers,
Rob
rdtshaw
Hey Rob ... I like that windshield .. Can you tell me which brand and series it is and is it a quick release ? I want one just like it !
 
Last time I was riding through Big Sur I had a lifted pickup pass me on my left, WHILE I was legally passing a car on their left in a passing zone. As in I'm in the oncoming traffic lane overtaking a car on my right and this guy passed me on my left at that same time. I couldn't believe it.
 
Thread starter
Johnboy_imp said:
rdtshaw_imp said:
Hey All,

Just wanted to share a great ride I had on Sunday. I was supposed to meet up with a couple friends, but they couldn't make it. Happy to get out either way. :) Headed down to Carmel, CA at 9AM for coffee and a top off. Little chilly in the morning, but my fingers warmed up by 11. Light traffic and mostly courteous motorists heading down. Got to open it up to three digits on the straights passing Point Sur Lighthouse, and push it through some corners. Otherwise it was a nice leisurely roll amidst the normal ambling tourists. All this with a wonderful blues soundtrack playing in the BT headset. The CB is a wonderfully befitting vehicle for the winding road along the Pacific Coast. I couldn't ask for more!

Cheers,
Rob
rdtshaw
Hey Rob ... I like that windshield .. Can you tell me which brand and series it is and is it a quick release ? I want one just like it !
Hi Johnboy,

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town.

The windshield is a National Cycle Deflector DX Light Tint.
N2595-01 Part Number
I paid $125 + shipping for it. I got it from partsfish.com but it looks like they don't have it now, but lots of other places do.
It is easily removable, you can see the 2 knobs in the picture on the handlebars. Just unscrew those and off it comes. It's a bit tedious to get it installed just right, almost too adjustable. Very happy with it.

Cheers!
 
Back
Top