Summer/Fall 2020 Adventure v2

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
So, I didn't get to do Summer 2020 Adventure v1 because of stuff (Thread: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15549). Looking to do a Sep 21 thru Oct 9 ride instead. I have moto'ed thru 29 of 48 US States and have devised 2 trip routes I could do this and next year to get the remaining 21 ... dum or fun, not sure but its something to do. One route is a southern route and one is a northern route although they both have Minnesota in them (missed it last year while in Dakotas ... stupid me). Both have Maryland,Virginia,Michigan because have friends/relatives there)
*
Any forum thoughts on which route would be preferred for this time of year (strange year that it is)? Guesstimate that I have to do 483 miles/day on average. Both routes have Bing Maps link below.
*
South Route:
Bing Maps
*
San Diego, CA
Amarillo, TX
Van Buren, AR
Shreveport, LA
Jackson, MS
Mobile, AL
Pensacola, FL
Atlanta, GA
Greenville, SC
Asheville, NC
Johnson City, TN
Centreville, VA
Annapolis, MD
Detroit, MI
Caledonia, MN
*
North Route:
Bing Maps
*
San Diego, CA
Little Rock, AR
Memphis, TN
Centreville, VA
Annapolis, MD
Middletown, DE
Newton, NJ
Spring Valley, NY
Waterbury, CT
Providence, RI
Boston, MA
Kittery, ME
Concord, NH
Brattleboro, VT
Cleveland, OH
Detroit, MI
Caledonia, MN
San Diego, CA
 
Thread starter
On way as of Tuesday 9/22. Made it to Flagstaff. Albuquerque, Amarillo on I40 (Route 66). Will decide which way to go in Arkansas. Trying to learn how to use my New GoPro ... maybe upload some time lapse later
138f4dd887ffc320ee8bf9fe4ba27a75.png
d8f0e1a07e714f0732fad532d1ab0582.jpg

6ab65a76a2d9514427c96ef1a31c1056.jpg

bb0fbbcb7496a17c362f233e20760bb1.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sounds like a long haul, bike loaded with cargo...enjoy your safe trip backed by picks
:thumbsup:
 
Safe travels. 483 a day is pretty aggressive looks like the closest you come to me is Cleveland at the other end of the state.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Safe travels. 483 a day is pretty aggressive looks like the closest you come to me is Cleveland at the other end of the state.

Avg 478 over 3 days did 589 today. Pretty sure the overall plan will have some modifications to keep me sane.
c9046afbdd9d0bea7d6e8de61550496a.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Houtman_imp said:
If you come close to Asheville NC than please contact me and we can meet !

Thanks. Will do if in area
aec61724128fbc2ce617a02ece6b6605.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
My 2014 CB1100 DX definitely uses oil when riding at sustained speed of 90mph. Barely registered in oil window. Added 1/2 quart this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
bflint_imp said:
My 2014 CB1100 DX definitely uses oil when riding at sustained speed of 90mph. Barely registered in oil window. Added 1/2 quart this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
 
I’m in Asheville this week as well so if you meet up with Houtman you may get me as a bonus
 
I look forward seeing Inhouse Bob and his wife Tracey again . Hopefully Bill Flint will also be here to meet them and we think that Amos might come to Asheville as well.
Sierra Nevada brewery is still closed but the restaurants at the Biltmore Estate are open as well as some other places to eat as well. I left message on Bill phone , my wife offered to wash his cloths if he is here as I think that he is "tenting "
 
Thread starter
it’s Sunday night... finished 6 days on my South Route trip. Left Pensacola this morning but got stuck just North of Atlanta. Don’t have many pictures this year because just “riding hard” which is fun in its own way. Met young man at ham sandwich shop In Oklahoma who was traveling from Jersey to California on Harley Sportster. .. crazy kids
00c26b30b3d37862c4f05a9c0deaa142.png
. As a SoCal guy every road from Arkansas to Pensacola to Atlanta looks the same to me .... 100 ft tall tree forests with a road cut down the middle of them. Beautiful but not really photo op stuff. Met Buffalo Soldiers biker club group at gas station in Montgomery AL today. Interesting folks... They are passing a “baton” thru all 50 states among their chapters with end point being Chicago in a couple of months.
4f410b6fab4d7d8c27669f5bc6c85c23.jpg

27d26b58a061a468b8ff9da5c544913e.jpg

ebe5c999b913a7b75c4df94491b3775d.jpg

934374218a2647d4e9d5803817c7d7f2.jpg

04d482c69059ef902dbecf19e98aa683.jpg

That’s my meager status
9f699963af73ea532b19f70267e9ee8c.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sounds to me like you’re doing OK, BFlint. :thumbsup:
 
Good to hear you are safely riding on. Great experience.
 
bflint_imp said:
My 2014 CB1100 DX definitely uses oil when riding at sustained speed of 90mph. Barely registered in oil window. Added 1/2 quart this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How many miles at that speed to burn that 1/2 quart?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
My 2014 CB1100 DX definitely uses oil when riding at sustained speed of 90mph. Barely registered in oil window. Added 1/2 quart this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, probably am, are you saying an HD would burn more oil?
I've been touring on Harley's out west for the last 12 yrs, usually putting on 3,500 to 5,500 mi, I will typically set the cruise at 85-86 mph and run for hours only stopping for gas in usually pretty hot conditions and I have never had to add oil before I got home.

2014 CB 1100
2020 HD Low Rider
 
Curious about the Buffalo Soldiers Group. Are they Ex army retirees or have some military affiliation or is the name a tip of the hat to a historically black unit? Can’t read the patches in the pictures.
 
Billie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
My 2014 CB1100 DX definitely uses oil when riding at sustained speed of 90mph. Barely registered in oil window. Added 1/2 quart this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, probably am, are you saying an HD would burn more oil?
I've been touring on Harley's out west for the last 12 yrs, usually putting on 3,500 to 5,500 mi, I will typically set the cruise at 85-86 mph and run for hours only stopping for gas in usually pretty hot conditions and I have never had to add oil before I got home.

2014 CB 1100
2020 HD Low Rider
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
My 2014 CB1100 DX definitely uses oil when riding at sustained speed of 90mph. Barely registered in oil window. Added 1/2 quart this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, probably am, are you saying an HD would burn more oil?
I've been touring on Harley's out west for the last 12 yrs, usually putting on 3,500 to 5,500 mi, I will typically set the cruise at 85-86 mph and run for hours only stopping for gas in usually pretty hot conditions and I have never had to add oil before I got home.

2014 CB 1100
2020 HD Low Rider
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
+1, and this is one of the reasons why I do not ride or drive behind HD!
 
Back
Top