Summer Approaches

The Spaceman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
And a young rider's thoughts turn to scorched butt-cheeks and sweaty scrota. Or not...if you shade your saddle while you're in the Burg-O-Rama pounding down lunch.

Here's a handy sun-shade I found at Bike Week. It's quite heavy-duty, it's got enough bungees to install it in a variety of ways, and it would probably even be useful as an overnight hotel parking lot cover to keep the dew off.

It's from Cycle Shade, which is a local (South Florida) company. They've got other goodies on their website you might find interesting.
 
You do have a way of conjuring images that leave one ever so faintly repulsed, Spaceman.

Like the sun shade.
 
in az we have the same problem with swamp crotch and charred cheeks from the seat, i the past ive wrapped a white towel around the seat. lost a few that way. your cover would def help keep the heat off.
 
Spaceman - nice find. Can it be folded and securely attached to the rear rack when not in use?

I also like to cover the guages to protect them from fading. I see they have that covered too.
 
scott will_imp said:
in az we have the same problem with swamp crotch and charred cheeks from the seat, i the past ive wrapped a white towel around the seat. lost a few that way. your cover would def help keep the heat off.
I don't mind the seat so much, but when it gets over 110F my clutch and brake levers start getting uncomfortably hot to hold in at stop lights.

I'm really not looking forward to the arrival of summer. I've been enjoying the great riding weather we've had since November. That'll be all over soon.
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
Spaceman - nice find. Can it be folded and securely attached to the rear rack when not in use?

I also like to cover the guages to protect them from fading. I see they have that covered too.
I forgot to mention it comes with a built-in carry case that it stuffs itself into. The stuffed case is about the size of a small ladies' purse.

Yeah, it could be silver and might be cooler, but the idea of this and covers like it are to put air between the sun and put the bike in the shade. Once you do that, it's going to drop 20/30 degrees from the surface temp of the shaded parts regardless of the color.
 
Thread starter
While we're on the topic, I might as well share my other cover. I like this one for overnight because it hides the bike, and does a better job keeping moisture off. It'll even keep a light rain off.

It's from
http://www.tourking.us/shop/

The fabric is much lighter than the Cycle Shade. I had one for my VStrom that lasted about 4 years.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I love spotless garages :thumbsup:
It's a bit of a "thing" with me. Several neighbors and friends have garage envy. Heh heh... Their wives turned their garages into storage units.

The key to getting it the way I wanted it was to spend the time grinding the floor down and doing an epoxy coating from U Coat It. Good stuff, it's holding up nicely and meets all the claims of being stain, oil, and rodent resistant.
 
I like that half (or whatever) cover. Last year I took a regular cover and made it into one like that. Since I'm not a seamstress or tailor, it isn't professionally perfect, but it works. I made it to just cover the top of the bike while it sits in the sun when it isn't in the garage.

Where did you get yours? I couldn't find one like that.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I like that half (or whatever) cover. Last year I took a regular cover and made it into one like that. Since I'm not a seamstress or tailor, it isn't professionally perfect, but it works. I made it to just cover the top of the bike while it sits in the sun when it isn't in the garage.

Where did you get yours? I couldn't find one like that.
Oh, sorry, I meant to post their URL:

Page Title

And this is a photo of my bike on their website, pimping their cover!
http://www.tourking.us/shop/PhotoGallery/Honda.htm
 
Thanks spaceman! Love your bike bing pimped! That is exactly what I want.

Wildezt, that one looks pretty good too.

Now I have to think about it...
 
Back
Top