Suggested weight limit

DBXXX_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Do any of you guys worry about the weight limits for passengers & cargo given by Honda and various accessory manufacturers? I'm on my second big trip, blatantly ignoring them both times.

Trip 1: camping with my wife.


Trip 2: working at a summer camp for a month.


Am I going to regret this?
 
I cant find the weight limit anywhere but I had me and my wife on the bike (without adjusting the suspension any stiffer than it was, which wasn't maxed out) and we were plenty fine. Bike did great! Almost 400 lbs total between me and the wife. Most of that was me...
 
Every tour I have ever been on 2 up has exceeded Hondas weight limits. They are ridiculously low. 2 Up on my ST ( a sport TOURING bike) I think I can carry a toothbrush, but if I carry the paste to go with it, I'm over the limit. Heck my trunk is over the limit for the factory luggage rack..EMPTY! and it's not even a large trunk.(won't hold one L full face helmet). Crazy.

Come to think of it I don't even know what the GVWR is on the CB.

Ok went and looked it up in my 13 service manual... For the 13's, the weight limit is 351 pounds

Not sure what it is for 14 DLX
 
349lbs?! LOLOL I can carry me and my 4th grader. No, wait-I think he's almost 95lbs now. I can carry me. That's ridiculous.
 
Thread starter
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Can't say I notice much difference, other than it taking a while longer to stop. Seems like putting a lot of weight on the rear makes my own rear feel the road a little more sharply though.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
I guess it's designed for Japanese couples. Lol.

I think my girlfriend and I come in ok at: 205 + 115 = 320. Phew.
If that's nekid, with both geared up you'd be borderline.

I'd bet it's nearly 20 pounds for full face helmet, leather jacket, riding pants, gloves and motorcycle boots.
 
I think when I was 2 up on mine last year we were tipping the scales really close to 450 together geared up. The bike took it in stride with no issues and I never even down shifted going up into the hills.
 
I was thinking about this thread and wondered what the weight difference really was from nekid to fully geared. So after my shower I jumped on the scale 183 (dang it seems to keep going up lol). Got dressed for my morning ride... shorts, socks, Fieldsheer textile riding pants, Alpinestars tall waterproof riding boots, long sleeve t shirt, Tourmaster textile jacket, Tourmaster waterproof gloves, HJC modular helmet, wallet in back rt pocket, cell phone in front l pocket, digital camera around neck. Back to the scale.... 202. So geared up 19 pounds heavier.

For grins I changed to my Fox Creek leather which weighs a ton it seems. Back to scale, 204. Not much different than with the textile. I would have thought there would be 5# diff lol. Feels like it when you pick them up. Wearing jeans and shorter riding boots might save a pound or two. Will try that when I get back from my ride.

So reasonably gearing up 2 people could easily add 30 pounds it would seem. Almost 40 if fully geared.

Hmm wonder what my tank bag, saddlebags and tail bag would weigh loaded? and the windshield?
 
back from ride so more experimentation

tried on my favorite set up, Fox Creek leather jacket, long sleeve t shirt, HJC 3/4 helmet with flip shield, deerskin gloves, blue jeans and short Alpinestars waterproof boots.. came in at 199 lbs

next up the lightest outfit I wear, HJC open face helmet with flat 5 snap shield, short sleeve T shirt, Tourmaster mesh jacket, no gloves, jeans, and gym shoes ... a svelt 195 lbs
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rebel73_imp said:
I guess it's designed for Japanese couples. Lol.

I think my girlfriend and I come in ok at: 205 + 115 = 320. Phew.
If that's nekid, with both geared up you'd be borderline.

I'd bet it's nearly 20 pounds for full face helmet, leather jacket, riding pants, gloves and motorcycle boots.
If that's nekid, with both geared up you'd be borderline.

I'd bet it's nearly 20 pounds for full face helmet, leather jacket, riding pants, gloves and motorcycle boots. Oh well, I guess I'll have to put my girl on a diet!!!

:D
 
Love to be there when you tell her that!
 
Wow, yea, I just see that conversation going over extremely well lol. That outfit probably doesn't weigh 20 pounds, even with a full face helmet.
 
Back
Top