Sturgis 2015?

Ghis_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I live in Denver (Brighton), and every year for the past 6 years I've been going up to Sturgis. Granted most of the vendors there are Harley focussed, and most bikes are Harleys, but there is still a really good mix of bikes of all brands and kinds. Many manufacturers offer free demo rides on their entire line of motorcycles, including Harley-Davidson, Indian, Victory, Yamaha, Can Am Spyder, as well as local Honda, and Suzuki dealers. Riding the Black Hills is a blast, and border line magical. Of course I will be going up again this year. It will be a well attended rally year, since it will mark the 75th Black Hills Motor Classic Rally. Anyone else here going from Colorado, or passing through Denver on the way there? If you ever wanted to ride along, I will be heading up there on Saturday August 1st. Let me know. Also if you've ever been to Sturgis before, please tell me why you like it or hate it. I like to hear it all. Every year, I'm thinking it will be the last for a while, but when comes June and July, I just can't resist the call of the Black Hills.


 
I'm not a good person to ask - I'm not a crowd guy or even a people guy. I'm a solitary type.

But I stumbled into Sturgis, a week before Bike Week. Long story...it had me, my new R1200GS, and a week off, all parked in South Dakota. I thought a ride to Rushmore would be a great thing; and it would be neat to ride through Sturgis as they were setting up.

Little...did I know.

It was MOBBED. Imagine a county fair on opening night...that was the sidewalks. The streets? PLUGGED with bikers. Couldn't move about - I overheated in traffic. Hotel room at the Super 8 was $270. I didn't have camping gear and I'd have had to go a ways, probably to Pierre, to find some in stock.

The roads were packed all the way to Rushmore. Oddly, the actual monument wasn't so full; and a lot of the visitors were family; but the roads...it was like a never-ending parade.

I didn't hit the bars. Years ago I had a liquor problem - so I try to stay away; and liquor and riding don't mix. I suppose I could have gotten in line for a Diet Coke...but...not realy.

That's my take. Other riders who're more attuned to that sort of scene, will tell you drastically different.
 
Good one Ghis. Love to join you but I've spent my travelling allowance this year. I'm a bit like JPT in that I'm not much of a one for crowds but I would go just for the experience. Having said that, I just can't keep away from the MotoGP or WSBK at Phillip Island. I'm sure it is not as "wild" as Sturgis though.

Cheers and enjoy.
 
I'm with Pterodactyl on a number of fronts, Ghis: good post, I'd be up for it, my travelling allowance is well spent, etc. There was an Aussie motorcycle journalist went to Sturgis last year and wrote about it. I think I posted links somewhere. I recall he really enjoyed the ride there on a review bike.
 
Good post! I'll go some day to experience it. I go to Daytona Bike Week every March...the crowds a bit different than those I hang around with, but it's fun anyway. I'm sure Sturgis would be similar in that sense.
 
Sounds interesting. It hasn't really been on my radar screen, but I wouldn't mind going some year. We have been out that way before the event and seen a lot of bikes enroute.

My big thing is 'Airventure' in Oshkosh most every summer, usually late July. This one is all about airplanes and everything aviation, bikers are welcome too.

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh | Oshkosh Air Show | Oshkosh, WI
 
The riding is a Ton of fun out there. Its a ten hour drive for me from MN. I went three years in a row some time over 12 years ago. I am not into crowds much either but It is an experience! The riding in the hills was the best for me, loved it. Rode to devils tower. Rode to rushmore. Jumped off a 70 foot cliff into cool water on a hot day. Rode in an absolute downpour coming back from wall drug and the weird wax museum. Hung out in Deadwood which I love and checked out tons of rolling art work made of steel everywhere everyday. Hope to make it back one day, I want to go watch those hill climbs!
 
Love the area .... hate the event, the spectacle, the show, the crowds, the attitude, the noise

Same for Daytona for me

I avoid crowded places like the flu.. give me Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon...big quiet open places, few people

How anybody lives "in" a city is beyond me
 
The ferret_imp said:
Love the area .... hate the event, the spectacle, the show, the crowds, the attitude, the noise

Same for Daytona for me

I avoid crowded places like the flu.. give me Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon...big quiet open places, few people

How anybody lives "in" a city is beyond me
+1, I go back to Jacksonville occasionally and after an hour or so I am ready to leave, wondering how I ever stood living amidst all this congestion and noise. Twenty-two years now of rural living has spoiled me to the good life.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I'm not a good person to ask - I'm not a crowd guy or even a people guy. I'm a solitary type.

But I stumbled into Sturgis, a week before Bike Week. Long story...it had me, my new R1200GS, and a week off, all parked in South Dakota. I thought a ride to Rushmore would be a great thing; and it would be neat to ride through Sturgis as they were setting up.

Little...did I know.

It was MOBBED. Imagine a county fair on opening night...that was the sidewalks. The streets? PLUGGED with bikers. Couldn't move about - I overheated in traffic. Hotel room at the Super 8 was $270. I didn't have camping gear and I'd have had to go a ways, probably to Pierre, to find some in stock.

The roads were packed all the way to Rushmore. Oddly, the actual monument wasn't so full; and a lot of the visitors were family; but the roads...it was like a never-ending parade.

I didn't hit the bars. Years ago I had a liquor problem - so I try to stay away; and liquor and riding don't mix. I suppose I could have gotten in line for a Diet Coke...but...not realy.

That's my take. Other riders who're more attuned to that sort of scene, will tell you drastically different.
Even with the new wet head motor? I thought that was cured now!

BMW=Bikes Made Weird
 
I grew up in Broadus Montana so we visited the Black Hills every summer (not the rally). Went back in the late 70's and it was more built up - I was disappointed. I fear it's worse now. From the pictures I've seen (from fellow riders and the Internet) and from the traffic I've seen along I90 that time of year; not my kinda thing.

I have wanted to ride Needles Highway though, and I'd like to see Mt. Rushmore again. But all my fond memories are from the early 60's. I fear you can't go home again.

At one point I considered "doing it just once", I suspect what I could tolerate was back in the early 70's. Even the Datil Rally for Moto Guzzi guys is getting a bit big for me and that is only 50-60 guys!
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I'm not a good person to ask - I'm not a crowd guy or even a people guy. I'm a solitary type.

But I stumbled into Sturgis, a week before Bike Week. Long story...it had me, my new R1200GS, and a week off, all parked in South Dakota. I thought a ride to Rushmore would be a great thing; and it would be neat to ride through Sturgis as they were setting up.

Little...did I know.

It was MOBBED. Imagine a county fair on opening night...that was the sidewalks. The streets? PLUGGED with bikers. Couldn't move about - I overheated in traffic. Hotel room at the Super 8 was $270. I didn't have camping gear and I'd have had to go a ways, probably to Pierre, to find some in stock.

The roads were packed all the way to Rushmore. Oddly, the actual monument wasn't so full; and a lot of the visitors were family; but the roads...it was like a never-ending parade.

I didn't hit the bars. Years ago I had a liquor problem - so I try to stay away; and liquor and riding don't mix. I suppose I could have gotten in line for a Diet Coke...but...not realy.

That's my take. Other riders who're more attuned to that sort of scene, will tell you drastically different.
Even with the new wet head motor? I thought that was cured now!

BMW=Bikes Made Weird
Even with the new wet head motor? I thought that was cured now!

BMW=Bikes Made Weird
I don't know about the old airheads. This was the first BMW I owned; and the other one was also an oilhead.

But...sure, you can overheat it. If you idle it in traffic for 45 minutes in 85-degree temperatures.

Fortunately there was an oil-temperature gauge to let me know things were getting warm. I rolled it off onto a dead-end alley and let it cool - along with about five Harleys and their frustrated riders.
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
JustPassinThru_imp said:
I'm not a good person to ask - I'm not a crowd guy or even a people guy. I'm a solitary type.

But I stumbled into Sturgis, a week before Bike Week. Long story...it had me, my new R1200GS, and a week off, all parked in South Dakota. I thought a ride to Rushmore would be a great thing; and it would be neat to ride through Sturgis as they were setting up.

Little...did I know.

It was MOBBED. Imagine a county fair on opening night...that was the sidewalks. The streets? PLUGGED with bikers. Couldn't move about - I overheated in traffic. Hotel room at the Super 8 was $270. I didn't have camping gear and I'd have had to go a ways, probably to Pierre, to find some in stock.

The roads were packed all the way to Rushmore. Oddly, the actual monument wasn't so full; and a lot of the visitors were family; but the roads...it was like a never-ending parade.

I didn't hit the bars. Years ago I had a liquor problem - so I try to stay away; and liquor and riding don't mix. I suppose I could have gotten in line for a Diet Coke...but...not realy.

That's my take. Other riders who're more attuned to that sort of scene, will tell you drastically different.
Even with the new wet head motor? I thought that was cured now!

BMW=Bikes Made Weird
Even with the new wet head motor? I thought that was cured now!

BMW=Bikes Made Weird
I don't know about the old airheads. This was the first BMW I owned; and the other one was also an oilhead.

But...sure, you can overheat it. If you idle it in traffic for 45 minutes in 85-degree temperatures.

Fortunately there was an oil-temperature gauge to let me know things were getting warm. I rolled it off onto a dead-end alley and let it cool - along with about five Harleys and their frustrated riders.
WOW,
I would think the electric fan would work like all other liquid cooled bikes in traffic and turn on.

What year bike were you on?
 
Thread starter
It does get crowded no doubt. If you go to Main Street, the main attraction, with bikes lined as far as the eyes can see, in the early evening, when everyone wants to hang in town, both main streets, Junction Ave., and Lazelle St. are just a total mess. You could be there for 45 minutes, in stop and go traffic. I stay away from that time of the day, same as with lunch time. Most locals just get out of town for those two weeks (the rally is in full swing the week/weekend leading to the official rally dates), and rent out their homes, and front yards to campers. So, there are cars and trucks on the I-90, but mostly it's just bikes everywhere.
I-90 can handle all those bikes quite well, and everyone is able to travel at the posted speed limit of 60 mph anywhere from Spearfish to Rapid City. The entire region is busy with bikes everywhere, regardless of where you go, that it be Sturgis, Deadwood, Lead, Central City, or Keystone, but not so much Rapid City. My take on that is that the cars (though still present) have been replaced with bikes, and I don't mind that. Most riders know how to behave around other riders, and understand what we know about riding a two wheeler. I have found most of them to be respectful. Going to Deadwood from Sturgis is always a pain, and that road will get backed up, at certain times of the day, especially mid morning. Sturgis is the only place in the world, and call me crazy if you want, where I leave my leather jacket, my helmet, and anything else on my bike so I can walk free of stuff, and not worry about it. Other bikers are always there, and we all know better than touching someone else's bike, and steal from another biker. One year, after spending the entire afternoon in town, and while returning to my bike, I reached into my pocket to retrieve my motorcycle key, and it wasn't there. I thought I had lost it (I had the spare at camp), but upon getting back to my bike, I saw that I had simply left it on the bike! It had been there for hours, and I'm sure plenty of people noticed it, but no one stole my bike. I wouldn't try that in Denver, even in the safest neighborhoods. At times it does get to be too much, and it can be frustrating, in the 90º weather, but I love that for a week I get to live in a world where everyone rides a motorcycle around, instead of driving a car. Utopia is bliss, I guess. I stay at a campground that is family oriented, unlike many other camps (namely the Buffalo Chip) that are just big biker party camps. For $30 a night, I get a spot for my tent in the shade of the trees, a shower, a clean bathroom, a pool, a bike cleaning station, a washer & drier, a café that serves Breakfast, and dinner, as well as a bus shuttle to town, if I'm ever too tired to ride to town. There is also a bar with live music. I love sitting in/at the pool all afternoon, and watch all the bikes rolling back to camp, after whatever fun day they had for the day. Everyone at the pool is talking bikes, and the rides/roads around the hills. Pretty awesome biker dream. I realize this is definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm really enjoying reading the pro's and con's in this thread, and other places people like too. Thanks for being straight up, and up front. I like that.
 
Ghis, well written. I say again, I would like to try it just for the experience. Nothing remotely like that here in OZ. My best out of country motorcycle gathering of any size was, funnily enough, at Assen in the late '90s. The Dutch TT. Doohan took out the 500cc, Rossi the 250cc. The atmosphere was fantastic, a lot of fun, almost too much fun ;).

Cheers
 
What ever spins your prop. :D From all the folks being there it is certainly a blast for many folks. Good for them!

It's like pickled herring. A little bit is very good, but much more than four pieces and bleah! :D

If I could teleport into the mess for an hour or two and teleport back out I bet it would be a hoot. :)
 
Rboe_imp said:
What ever spins your prop. :D From all the folks being there it is certainly a blast for many folks. Good for them!

It's like pickled herring. A little bit is very good, but much more than four pieces and bleah! :D

If I could teleport into the mess for an hour or two and teleport back out I bet it would be a hoot. :)
Ain't that the truth. About a lot of things.

Cheers
 
I certainly wouldn't go again. Been to them all. Perhaps lake George....Circa 1980...but that memory is something I cant relate without Ferret finally showing me the door. Leave it at that. :D
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
What ever spins your prop. :D From all the folks being there it is certainly a blast for many folks. Good for them!

It's like pickled herring. A little bit is very good, but much more than four pieces and bleah! :D

If I could teleport into the mess for an hour or two and teleport back out I bet it would be a hoot. :)
Ain't that the truth. About a lot of things.

Cheers
Ain't that the truth. About a lot of things.

Cheers
+1 (or 2)
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
What ever spins your prop. :D From all the folks being there it is certainly a blast for many folks. Good for them!

It's like pickled herring. A little bit is very good, but much more than four pieces and bleah! :D

If I could teleport into the mess for an hour or two and teleport back out I bet it would be a hoot. :)
Ain't that the truth. About a lot of things.

Cheers
Ain't that the truth. About a lot of things.

Cheers
+1 (or 2)
Ain't that the truth. About a lot of things.

Cheers
+ 1 (or 2) 3
 
Back
Top