Stranded

flynrider

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm sitting on the side of hwy 28, 20miles south of Nephi, UT.

The engine just quit as I was riding along at 65 mph. Won't restart.

The oil temp light and oil pressure light come on when I turn the key, but no fuel pump sounds.

Verified that the kill switch is in the run position and cycled it a few times.

Tow truck is on the way, but if you've got any ideas I'd love to hear them.


Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Kick the side stand up and down a couple of times. Look on the clutch switch and make sure the connections are on tight. That's all I got off the top of my head without the manual to look at.

Might check the fuses. I can't remember how the pump is fused, but it might be on its own.
 
hate hearing this and wish i had some tips but no fuel pump sound eliminates a lot if there is no way to check fuel pressure . wishing you the best.
 
When my VFR750 quit it was my regulator. It needs fuel. It needs electricity. My regulator was not helping charge the system anymore so it just ran down the battery which was in effect running the spark plugs and lights and then just quit.
 
Check your battery connections also
I have a 2013 corolla that gets corrosion on terminals and all lights and accessories work but no stater turnover till I pour a coke on Battery post and wipe off post
 
Oh no that's not good. Is there a fuel pump fuse?
 
Thread starter
Crisis averted. When the tow truck dropped me off, the bike started right up. The Honda tech poked at the kill switch and it died again. Definitely a problem with the kill switch. I had tried cycling it on the road, but he got it to work by just pushing both sides of the switch simultaneously.

The guys at Garrett Honda here in Nephi pulled the switch apart and cleaned up the contacts. Starts every time now.

I'm going to get back on the highway and head for home (with fingers crossed).

BTW, the service manager at the shop owns two CB1100s. Not a forum member, but we may see him soon.

Thanks guys!



Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
FWIW:

I have noticed quite a few riders that use the emergency cut-off switch as an engine shutdown switch each time the engine is to be stopped.

Don't do it.

Emergency shutoff switch is made to be used in emergencies, when it is for whatever reason impractical or impossible to turn the ignition key to the "off position". It has it's place, but mostly in motorcycles with the ignition key "down by the engine". With the ignition key on the handlebar, it is unlikely it will have to be used at all during the life of the bike.

The ignition key switch is designed to be cycled thousands of times, much more than the number of times it is expected that the engine will have to be shut down in an emergency.
 
rotor_imp said:
FWIW:

I have noticed quite a few riders that use the emergency cut-off switch as an engine shutdown switch each time the engine is to be stopped.

Don't do it.

Emergency shutoff switch is made to be used in emergencies, when it is for whatever reason impractical or impossible to turn the ignition key to the "off position". It has it's place, but mostly in motorcycles with the ignition key "down by the engine". With the ignition key on the handlebar, it is unlikely it will have to be used at all during the life of the bike.

The ignition key switch is designed to be cycled thousands of times, much more than the number of times it is expected that the engine will have to be shut down in an emergency.
There may be reasons not to use the Kill Switch on some bikes, but the one you suggest seems to have been de-bunked.
You may want to check out this MC Garage Video:

 
Very glad "it was nothing."

I've been to Garrett Honda in Nephi. Last time I was there, in 1999, they had two brand new, unsold, white and red 1990 CBF1000 Hurricanes still on the showroom floor. My riding buddy had a '98 VFR800. It was the first time they had seen that bike. True story.
 
Here in the USA the MSF(Motorcycle Safety Foundation) "Rider-Coaches"(formerly termed: "Instructors") stress to new riders & experienced riders in their courses to ALWAYS shut down bike with the "kill-switch" before switching off the ignition key/switch...rational is that by doing the act repeatedly this will become part of "muscle-memory" and will likely be an action in the emergency situation... the Rider-Coaches STRESSED this in the Experienced Rider Course I took a couple months ago... whether or not I will follow this drill after the completion of course is my decision...
Regarding the sudden shutdown of bike while riding... previous experience of having kill switch being the temporary fault had me quickly learn from bike shop mechanic that a quick squirt of contact cleaner along edges of switch & cycling switch a number of times cleared that problem & had no subsequent problem involving kill switch... also, as mentioned have had the sudden shutdown due to the sudden death/failure of the voltage regulator/rectifier of a VFR...noted as a somewhat common failure of early/middle generation of the VFR's
 
i stop the engine bcos i want leave the bike...well so i take of course always too the key for go away...also, what i shall care about killer and battery ...LOL

and if i wait to long at a redlight or so and switch off , i dont leave the bike..so logical...

and by the key-less bikes...i guess you have only a kind killer for stop the engine...smile
 
I worked in the motorcycle industry for 17 years. Wish I had a dollar for every guy that used the kill switch to turn off his bike, and then called me to ask why his new bike wouldn't start. I could probably buy a new 17 CB1100.
 
emergency ?

i guess in 99% of emergency situations i am far in the green with broken bones and not of my bike LOL
 
Glad you sorted it Flyn. Good ride otherwise?
 
Thread starter
Hey guys,

Made it to Kanab, UT without a problem. Should be home by tomorrow.

For the record, I never use the kill switch to shut off the bike. The only time I did was when that deer knocked my over a few years ago.

Back in the olden days I used to do that, until the switch fell apart and I couldn't get my old KZ to start. Since then I've maintained a hands off policy.

There's no guarantee that this fix is going to last, so I think I'm just going to replace it when I get home. Just for my own peace of mind.

This is the first time I've ever ended up stranded on the side of the road on a road trip (and I've been doing this for 35 yrs.). Kudos to the folks at AAA. I upgraded my membership to cover motorcycles 6 months ago and they were great. They had a tow truck out there in 30 min. and the 25 mile tow didn't cost me a dime.

I'll post the results of the switch teardown when I replace it. It shouldn't go bad after just 4 years in a dry climate. I think I may have got a bad one.



Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top