Stories

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Many times I pass an old dilapidated house and wonder about the lives of the people who once called it home. I made a loop yesterday morning (started early to beat the heat) through Appling and Wayne counties and saw more of these old places than expected. The stories they could tell.

8a638ba377acd79b7b09693b4df002c6.jpg


a5fa7f5f0f4aea7ddd1e5303407b4960.jpg


48bc6e0f94d17d1c5e1e448a998edbe3.jpg


9e02d323aea52eef76b67f2ee863cf93.jpg


9d5089be4445e931f66b00344885603e.jpg


2ab9b7c764a133e6b80aefd72663186c.jpg


16606692a9530213383203d94918c563.jpg


de20198a5d70ebfda846cc687ef5f58e.jpg


4cb52be2163de4accd2bbb20e1efc0c6.jpg


0845c4f3f8b647288b233e5afe75e603.jpg
 
I'll bet not one of those houses had a media room lol.

Yea, I think about that stuff too. Looking at houses from back then, compared to what we require now, it's simply amazing. People lived simple lives a half century ago and had dwellings to match.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I'll bet not one of those houses had a media room lol.

Yea, I think about that stuff too. Looking at houses from back then, compared to what we require now, it's simply amazing. People lived simple lives a half century ago and had dwellings to match.
The 2nd one did have satellite TV. Simpler lives with too much work to do to allow time for luxuries that we deem as needs. A much older friend, now deceased, was raised in the mountains near Wilkesboro, NC. She had nine siblings and lived in a two room log cabin growing up. She had nothing but the fondest memories of her childhood. There was a roof overhead and food on the table, everything that was needed.
 
Great post. I often think about that, too. I also think about the road I'm on and wonder if it's an old trail used by settlers or even Cherokee/Shawnee. Easy enough to find out probably but it's probably just as fun to imagine. I go by an old Indian burial mound most days on my way home from work and think about the families that buried loved ones there in centuries gone by.
 
Thread starter
Thanks fellows. There are so many of these abandoned homes and farm buildings nearby. I need to take more photos before they surrender completely to the vegetation and termites.
 
DAC_imp said:
Great post. I often think about that, too. I also think about the road I'm on and wonder if it's an old trail used by settlers or even Cherokee/Shawnee. Easy enough to find out probably but it's probably just as fun to imagine. I go by an old Indian burial mound most days on my way home from work and think about the families that buried loved ones there in centuries gone by.
There are several roads where I live that are marked as part of the "Trail of Tears".

That is a topic that is pretty depressing to read about.

Map: Trail of Tears - Wikipedia
 
I always enjoy your photos redbirds and this was no exception. I share your curiosity about old houses and barns. Thanks.
 
Back
Top