Stories Part III

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Decided to ride the northwest part of the county to look for more old barns and houses. There was a nice rain last night and this morning was cool (75F) and damp.

Rode to Blackshear first and then went north to Guest Road which has recently been paved. Less than a mile on the new pavement and I found this old farm house and Tobacco barn across from a peanut field.

f9390346d388630a54a3f785612d9753.jpg


e91a92e4852df159789a779b92a3ae7e.jpg


089f78cca23583a40ed1161cb6077771.jpg


b944b5b6a57a84d0d002f774213a74e5.jpg


d794420c381ca5d8ef76ca6f1dbc8277.jpg


ecd8b28e47ab66760ddf1e5de0c8359f.jpg


At the terminus of Guest Road stood an old barn at an abandoned dairy farm.

b80af72750313cc21e59705844b9d2e9.jpg


Heading north on 203 I pass through some lovely farms and find this crumpled old house.

486dbd7746da71b866f4018a4a34fa33.jpg


dea658ea8d5a562a7bbfea779a5cd3b4.jpg


285afe689c22839e620911088f34e344.jpg
 
Great pictures and the premise behind the series is worthy. Good job, Steve.
 
Thread starter
I've covered about 60 miles and it's heating up so I head for home. On the way Back I pass through the Mershon Community and stop at the old schoolhouse. Many of these schoolhouses lie vacant in small towns since the county built new and larger schools. Across from the school is an old store.

6a6d9b6656f699ffc20037167287fba7.jpg


fe0a1cf0f569fda328c3b92f4004a67f.jpg


The ride was so nice I hesitated to go on to home. A very nice ride.
Thanks Mickey.
 
Another fabulous series of photos, redbirds. At one level, it's sad to see the empty houses, abandoned schools and shops speaking of lives abandoned and people driven away by so-called progress. At another, though, they make for beautiful photos and interesting stories.

Look forward to more of them.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Another fabulous series of photos, redbirds. At one level, it's sad to see the empty houses, abandoned schools and shops speaking of lives abandoned and people driven away by so-called progress. At another, though, they make for beautiful photos and interesting stories.

Look forward to more of them.
I always think about when they were being built. The sweat that went into creating something. The happiness of the people/families that used them. The history of what went on there. And, what caused all that to cease, such that they were allowed to wither.
 
Thread starter
Thanks fellows for the feedback.

Often, what seems a tale of despair is actually one of progress. Many of these old farmhouses are the ancestral homes of the current land owners, farmers who have now built large estate style homes on the land that has been in their family for a hundred years or more. Some farmers rebuild the old homes and use them as gathering places for reunions and other family get-togethers. Others simply let them slowly get reclaimed by the land that has sustained them. And others, are of course what they appear, sad reminders of dreams and ambitions lost and forgotten.
 
Back
Top