stock mirrors

I too went with the CB500F mirrors that I just put on last night and I just came off my first ride with them in traffic (I'm just warming up from it). There are three things about them :
1) They are more outbound than the stock mirrors in that they extend pretty much right over each grip full length (though a bit forward) and they are slightly lower than stock.
2) The rectangular shape means I can see much better behind me than the stock mirror. With the stock mirror it seemed like I was just seeing my shoulder and I had to move out of the way to see behind me. If the mirrors were adjusted so that my shoulders didn't show, they were too much at an angle looking sideways.
3) The flat black finish isn't nearly as pretty as the stock mirror. I can live with that.
 
I too, am fine with the stock mirrors but think the 500F mirrors look great, and from the reports of those that switched and like them, I may try them. They're not like real cheap, are they? :P
 
Happy with the stock mirrors.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I am going to go with the CB500F mirrors. I think they look better and those that have them report better visibility. So I feel like I would be killing two birds with one stone. Thanks to Chip Beck for the pics also to confirm my decision.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I am going to go with the CB500F mirrors. I think they look better and those that have them report better visibility. So I feel like I would be killing two birds with one stone. Thanks to Chip Beck for the pics also to confirm my decision.
Happy to help bro.

Chip
 
I don't like the mirrors, they look like small ufos attached to the handlebars. :rofl:. I removed mine and am presently waiting on some bar end mirrors to arrive in the mail.

If it wasn't for a possible confrontation with 5 0 for not having mirrors, I wouldn't have any on the CB. I rode Buells for many years and they shake so much that I was never able to use the mirrors so I got used to not using them.

Update: I found a helmet made by Reevu that has a rearview mirror system built in. Mirror problem solved.
 
I didn't like the stock mirrors. I thought they were too tall & to much chrome, looked liked two big lollipops. I bought the shorter black ones from Samurider, stayed with round ones cause I thought they were more period correct.
 
tomas_imp said:
I didn't like the stock mirrors. I thought they were too tall & to much chrome, looked liked two big lollipops. I bought the shorter black ones from Samurider, stayed with round ones cause I thought they were more period correct.
Interesting. Given the comment that they look like two UFOs, and considering your avatar, I figured you would have stayed with the stock mirrors.

I happen to be a fan of UFOs, lollipops, and the stock mirrors. Then again, there's no accounting for taste.
 
twiin640_imp said:
I don't like the mirrors, they look like small ufos attached to the handlebars. :rofl:. I removed mine and am presently waiting on some bar end mirrors to arrive in the mail.

If it wasn't for a possible confrontation with 5 0 for not having mirrors, I wouldn't have any on the CB. I rode Buells for many years and they shake so much that I was never able to use the mirrors so I got used to not using them.

Update: I found a helmet made by Reevu that has a rearview mirror system built in. Mirror problem solved.
I put these bar end mirrors on my bike. I really did not like the stock ones.
 
CBAnonymous,

Those are the same type of mirrors I ordered. I'll put one on the left side just for legality as I really don't use mirrors. I'm saving up to get the rear view helmet. :banana:
 
I've only had 4 sets of mirrors on my bike: stock, CB500F, Tanex Lute, and Magic Racing.

Stock worked good, CB500s were excellent but too wide to easily get through the door, Lutes looked wicked but vibrated above 3500rpm, and Magic Racing are superb - but cost $400.
 
I also like the stock mirrors. I see them on pictures of and old 750 or 900 I think, this means they are authentic? Anyways, I do like the way they copy the fluid design of our bike, especially when you look from the top back looking forward and see the tank is also a fluid design that flows into the narrow back end and transitions beautifully into the broader tank and front in general, look at the mirrors and you will see they also flow like that intentionally and at some point that design became the norm for the Honda Four.
 
CBAnonymous_imp said:
twiin640_imp said:
I don't like the mirrors, they look like small ufos attached to the handlebars. :rofl:. I removed mine and am presently waiting on some bar end mirrors to arrive in the mail.

If it wasn't for a possible confrontation with 5 0 for not having mirrors, I wouldn't have any on the CB. I rode Buells for many years and they shake so much that I was never able to use the mirrors so I got used to not using them.

Update: I found a helmet made by Reevu that has a rearview mirror system built in. Mirror problem solved.
I put these bar end mirrors on my bike. I really did not like the stock ones.

I put these bar end mirrors on my bike. I really did not like the stock ones.
[url=http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/cstanley040254/media/image.jpg3_zpshxhdhveo.jpg.html]
im looking for some bar end mirrors, can you give me a review on those mirrors and were can i order them?
 
So I purchased a separate pair of OEM bar-end weights and had them milled so I could fit bar-end mirrors onto the weights and not lose the benefit of the additional weight and whatever you call the barrel inside the handlebars that the weights screw into. Well, everything matched up perfect (2 half moons) and the guy that milled the bar-ends did a great job however, what I didn't realize until I assembled everything was that the internal barrels actually float inside the bars and consequently the weights move (rotate) as well. This was an epic fail and now I need to use the original compression fitting that came with the mirrors.

(see attached image for an example of above)

Anyone have experience removing the internal barrels? I gave it a little pull and although they are not secure enough for my little bar-end mirror experiment it looks like they are going to be pretty difficult to remove.

 
Back
Top