still confounded

jimgl3_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am still confounded by Honda putting radial tires on the CB. It has suspension commonly associated with bias tires and tire sizes (shapes) commonly associated with bias tires. So why radials? I haven't tried BT45 yet, but am coming to end of Pirelli Sport Demons and very happy with them. Same mileage as OEM Dunlops and no scalloping of front tire like with Dunlop. And they cost less. So why? Anyone? Metzler Z8's are intriguing and now come in our sizes, but why pay the extra $50 ?
 
The BT45 is the bias tyre, isn't it? I had a set of them and was very happy with them. I even replaced them but the rear tyre was damaged soon afterwards and I swapped them for PR3s in the belief—perhaps ill informed—that radials are better tyres. Given that it's hard to find radials that fit the CB's wheels, I'd have no hesitation in going back to the BT45s if necessary.
 
Just fitted a set of BT45's for the rally down under as the Sport Demons will probably not last the distance. So far they feel pretty good.
 
Thread starter
yeah, I just don't see how you can go wrong with bt45 bias tire. a radial tire my be a hair lighter, but my gas mileage improved by one mpg with the bias demons, so no radial advantage seen there. I'd just love to be able to ask Honda why though. that one global Honda website explains many things about the design of the bike, but not tire selection. Why would Honda and Bridgestone go to the expense of designing a whole new tire for only one bike (the bt54 radial) when they already had the bt45 out there?
 
The radials have just a very little more "cush" then the bias do and up here in Wisconsin with some of the worst roads
in the US we need everything we can get.
 
that must be it then. that's the second time i've heard about rough roads lending to radial tire choice. mystery solved! since the roads i ride are nice and smooth i think i'll save my money.
 
I have the bt45s on now as I replaced the oem tires. They were the cheapest I could find and they work just as good if not better than oem. The tread is great and the wear has been great. Over 2k on tires and still look new both front and rear. We are not racing these bikes so bias tires are absolutely fine.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The radials were designed to flex more, warm up quicker and evenly dissipate the heat, all characteristics for a racing tire on the track. For out leisurely rides and occasional spirited jaunt bias tires are more than adequate. 99% of riders will never take a tire to its full potential so no worries here. Love these tires.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I selected the pr3's for 2 reasons. My research of the forum indicated that I would easily get in excess of 10k miles out of them, and they have exceptional traction on wet roads.
 
I replaced the originals with BT45's at about 7500 miles due to front tire cupping.

Right out of the gate I noticed a bit of an increased ride harshness that had never been there with the stock tires. I thought I'd made a mistake putting these less costly tires on the bike.

I was wrong.

The BT45 is an excellent tire for the CB and I'm expecting to get more than 7500 out of this set. The fix for the slightly harsh ride feel was in finding the right tire pressures.
 
Z8's on their way to me, partly thanks to the $40 rebate! the rest is due to their fairly good reputation and the fact they come in the correct sizes.
 
Opinions please; have 6k on original tires on the bike. The front tire is done, have about a third left on the rear. I was going to replace the front with a Metzler Z8, but now I'm considering the BT 45. Any thoughts on mixing a bias tire on the front with the original radial on the rear till it's time to replace the rear?
 
jimgl353_imp said:
Z8's on their way to me, partly thanks to the $40 rebate! the rest is due to their fairly good reputation and the fact they come in the correct sizes.
I'd say, the Z8 is one of the best tires, you can get in correct size for the CB1100. This one I put on the race track:

eb75dc2653fd9b4fef8d5391b70161cb.jpg
 
TCinNC_imp said:
Opinions please; have 6k on original tires on the bike. The front tire is done, have about a third left on the rear. I was going to replace the front with a Metzler Z8, but now I'm considering the BT 45. Any thoughts on mixing a bias tire on the front with the original radial on the rear till it's time to replace the rear?
I personally wouldn't, but RevZilla says that some bikes come with a bias front and radial rear. Motorcycle Tire Guide 101 and FAQ - RevZilla

Scroll down some to see the quote
 
Thread starter
yeah, i'm about as cheap as they come and I always replace front and rear street tires together. race track is a different story since the front won't be 6 months to a year old.
 
Thread starter
oh these metzelers are sweet! a "plush" ride. I guess going from the worn out oem dunslops to the sport demons I did not notice much difference, but then the d's were at their end. but going from the demons which wore much better than the d's, boy what a difference. I suspect these will not be high mileage tires. they are just too plush.
 
Back
Top