Sticker shadow

Rantsc_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
The previous owner of my newly acquired ‘13 CB1100 removed the caution labels from the gas tank at some point. When I picked up the bike, I assumed what I was seeing on the tank was simply adhesive residue. After several attempts to remove I’m left with dark areas where the stickers were. I’m reluctant to get any more aggressive in fear of damaging the finish. Anyone experience anything similar?
 
I vaguely recall and I used kerosene to remove what I saw was a residue, but no remaining "dark areas". Although not required, I cleaned up the area with a bit of NuFinish polish.
 
Purely speculation, but if the stickers were removed after the bike had been exposed to sun and oxygen for several years, the paint underneath may simply be less weathered. Some kind of oxidation-removing polish may be called for; NuFinish that GoldOxide mentioned may do the trick.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Purely speculation, but if the stickers were removed after the bike had been exposed to sun and oxygen for several years, the paint underneath may simply be less weathered. Some kind of oxidation-removing polish may be called for; NuFinish that GoldOxide mentioned may do the trick.
(+1) On the possible sun fade of paint around sticker area. If that is the case, I am much less confident that NuFinish will make a difference. However, maybe Forum members can suggest a product that will safely "blend in" the patch area.
 
Hmmmmm I'm watching this post with interest because I have the same problem but on a much much bigger scale. I bought a two year old van which is highly polished and looks brilliant but on cold mornings or damp weather the old sign writings and logo's all show up as plain as if they were still on the van. Every panel has had a sticker on it in the past.
I've tried many things but at the end of the day its there to stay but only shows under certain weather conditions.
The only logical but not practical solution I've heard is to cover the rest of the van with stickers just leaving the sign written part open to the sun for two years.

Being your tank sticker is small one solution I would think about trying is mask off the area around it and try a sun lamp on it for a while and see if it fades. Other wise just leave it or buy a sticker of your choice to go over it.
 
Or just ride it a heck of a lot not looking at the tank? :D
 
Can you " clay " the tank and than use different grades of polish to get an even color ?
Perhaps a GOOD detailer can do this for you.
 
lesson learnt here, just peeled my tank sticker off and no shadow.

If there is clear coat over the paint no amount of polishing will help.
 
Back in the day a number of us removed the stickers after we got home from the dealer so as to avoid the problem.

Our tanks are clear coated.

If one wants to put the stickers back, they can be ordered.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Back in the day a number of us removed the stickers after we got home from the dealer so as to avoid the problem.

Our tanks are clear coated.

If one wants to put the stickers back, they can be ordered.
That's exactly what I do with a new bike, remove the stickers immediately before the bike is exposed to the elements; the sun in particular.
 
I have used 3M Finesse-It 39003 by hand ( it is intended as a machine buffer applied polish ) with great success for removing light scratches and blemishes in paint and clear coat. It takes time and patience to use by hand, but it is so fine that I have never caused accidental damage with it either. It was originally intended to remove swirl marks left from buffing paint/clear coat with a machine buffer. It can be ordered and shipped from numerous sources, I believe including Amazon. Size is 16 oz liquid.

Actual sticker adhesive residue can be removed with Gojo Creme Hand Cleaner. There are two varieties of Gojo, Original Formula White Gel, and Natural Orange With pumice. Obviously you don't want Gojo Orange! Dab the gel on the adhesive residue and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, and it will start dissolving the adhesive. Wipe with a soft cloth and repeat if necessary. It wont harm your skin as a hand cleaner, so it wont harm your paint or clear coat. Store it inside where it is cool. If it is stored in a hot garage, the gel will melt into a liquid. The resulting liquid will still work, but messier to work with.
 
I have let Honda stickers bake daily in hot, humid southern Ontario summer sun for a few years. I just never got around to removing them. Once I did, I didn't notice any significant paint fade, although I was expecting it. What I did notice, however, the sticker itself was tedious to remove as the sun UV weakened it.
 
Why do people leave the stickers on the gas tank? Does anyone leave other stickers on their bought items...on microwaves, printers, tv, lawn mowers, etc?

Or is it just on mc tanks?
 
I do, but sometimes I remove them from motorcycle tanks, but not always.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Why do people leave the stickers on the gas tank? Does anyone leave other stickers on their bought items...on microwaves, printers, tv, lawn mowers, etc?

Or is it just on mc tanks?
I hate stickers in general, and remove them immediately, because they are usually easier to remove when an item is new. As far as on a motorcycle I have removed tank stickers going way back to the day. Why, because I hate tank stickers AND I knew leaving them on would show sticker shadow to some extent if they were ever removed, AND I knew that most stickers on tanks usually get crummy looking over time. I do leave most stickers on chrome and non painted plastic, particularly if they have tire pressures and chain slack specs for quick reference.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Why do people leave the stickers on the gas tank? Does anyone leave other stickers on their bought items...on microwaves, printers, tv, lawn mowers, etc?

Or is it just on mc tanks?
For me, it was just laziness.
 
Back
Top