Staintune sound, just "OK"

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Installed my Staintune yesterday.
Not all perfect though.....I think the sound is a little too "boomy" or like its coming from a megaphone, little too hollow, little to cheap sounding. Mostly from idle to 3K RPM, at highway speed and no load, you can barely tell its on.
This is all based from sitting "on" the CB, have not heard from afar as a bystander would. Also compared to what my older 600 and 900 Ninjas sounded like with 4 into 1 headers. They seemed a lot tighter, less boomy. Kinda like a high end stereo with good bass compared to cheaper system.
I'm still glad I got it as compared to stock, but was hoping for more sophisticated sound.
Anyone else feel this way about the sound?
 
With exhausts, I really think you need to hear your bike differently..as others would hear it. My Bonneville with Triumph off road pipes sounded differently when I stood there and let my brother ride it up and down the road, away from me and coming towards me, and when we went for a ride and I rode behind him or he passed me. Sounded louder. Sounded better. When I was riding it or standing there revving it, they didn't sound much different than stock.

Try that and see if your reaction to your pipe is any different.
 
Well, finally...someone has realized what crap Staintune really is!
I've been trying to warn people, but no one seems to care.

The cold hard truth is the pipe you bought is inferior and useless.

I'll be a good person, and take it off your hands for $200 (it's probably worth that in scrap). PM for shipping details...try not to scratch it while taking it off the bike.


;)
 
Thread starter
Jim21680_imp said:
Well, finally...someone has realized what crap Staintune really is!
I've been trying to warn people, but no one seems to care.

The cold hard truth is the pipe you bought is inferior and useless.

I'll be a good person, and take it off your hands for $200 (it's probably worth that in scrap). PM for shipping details...try not to scratch it while taking it off the bike.


;)
Jim did you have one and not like it? Was wondering what you are basing your opinion on.
 
Lol he's messing with you, trying to get yours cheap!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Lol he's messing with you, trying to get yours cheap!
Ahh...seemed a bit odd, I usually catch on sooner, must have been distracted by the ringing in my ears from the crappy exhaust :-)
 
Lol, next time I'll have to pile on the sarcasm a little heavier.

I don't think there's anyone on this forum who wouldn't agree that Staintune is one of the top options for aftermarket exhaust on our bike. Like it or not, you got the goods!
 
From the few videos I have heard of the Staintuned pipe on the new CB its a slight, slight, slight bit better sound than the stock Honda Fit sounding bike. It does look awesome and from the past with other bikes the quality from those Aussies is top notch. In honesty i have not heard it in person so I might just be bad audio on the clips but I'd like a little more volume and rumble for the $$$.

My last ride was a Scrambler Twin 900 that ran Triumph Off Road (TOR) pipes that sounded oh so sweet under 3000rpm and then would make your ears bleed and beautiful women faint at WOT...



I'm hoping that Staintune offers a full system minus Cat in the future that brings the full audial potential of this great bike.

BTW I'll give you $225 for that sh1tty old pipe! ;)
 
Oh boy, I can see where this is going. Soon Jim and Utah will be spewing obscenities at each other over this pipe. That sort of thing is contagious and will slowly lead to the demise of this forum. One need look no further than the oil thread to see a dangerous trend. While I too think the sound of the Staintune is akin to a feral piglet being dragged by the hind leg, I cannot...no I WILL NOT sit by and allow this to happen. So to stop the fighting, I will pay $250 for that useless piece of sheetmetal with Staintune stamped on the side.

Chip, I know you are thinking of duals and will make this same magnanimous gesture to you...because I care
 
Gentlemen,

Taste in sound is like taste in women. There is no right or wrong and desirability is not a choice, it just "is". For me, I'm willing to spend a lot of money to try different stuff in order to find what I like best. I have five different exhaust systems for one of my cars. I really like the black pipe that Fuzzy has on his CB and I was going to try one out. But every time I ride my CB with the Staintune I am so enamored with the deep, rich, and soulfull sound (to my ears) that I REALLY don't want to change it even though a black pipe would look better on my Bad Seed replica. I've got a lot of bikes and have bought countless exhaust systems. I have never bought one that was of equal quality to the Staintune, or that sounded better. Plus, I really like the way it looks.

To each his own. My son actually likes rap music that makes me want to jump off a bridge!! Other than that, he's a great young man.

Chip
 
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

Taste in sound is like taste in women. There is no right or wrong and desirability is not a choice, it just "is". For me, I'm willing to spend a lot of money to try different stuff in order to find what I like best. I have five different exhaust systems for one of my cars. I really like the black pipe that Fuzzy has on his CB and I was going to try one out. But every time I ride my CB with the Staintune I am so enamored with the deep, rich, and soulfull sound (to my ears) that I REALLY don't want to change it even though a black pipe would look better on my Bad Seed replica. I've got a lot of bikes and have bought countless exhaust systems. I have never bought one that was of equal quality to the Staintune, or that sounded better. Plus, I really like the way it looks.

To each his own. My son actually likes rap music that makes me want to jump off a bridge!! Other than that, he's a great young man.

Chip
 
Actually I wish the guy who made my customer muffler for my old XS850 where I packed the baffle myself to get the right sound, could make a new one for this bike. I was able to make a nice deep sound for my XS850. Sure it was rough looking bare metal, but I could get it ceramic coated and it would look sharp.

Now anyone here in the forums good with metal like that?
 
"feral piglet being dragged by the hind leg"........OLDGOAT01...THANKS FOR THE BEST LAUGH OF THE DAY, I'M SURE, FOR ME!...now i will spend rest of today chuckling about my mentally picturing/hearing this while people in wally world supermart aisles shy away from my seemingly random laughter!...thanks again...squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!(squared)!
 
Installed mine today and it is actually has less of a deep sound than I thought it would. Hoping I installed it correctly, although I don't see how I couldn't have. Looks beautiful though. Looking forward to tomorrow's commute.
 
Thread starter
I still find it to be kinda hollow and lees controlled then I would like.
Although I have found myself learning to play the engine to get the sound I want out of it....like an "inline four fiddle" :-)
 
Okay there are two CB1100 exhaust systems I'd like to hear and or see video of, first off the Yoshimura black full race pipe and second the guy who posted on the site about a custom built system based on a Ducati Yoshimura pipe. Both look like the cat/s have been omitted and might have a promising sound.
 
The other day I was filling up and a fellow about my age (mid 50's) came up and struck up a conversation. (Nothing unusual about that). He was a long time rider of lots of bikes, including old CBs. He said he had gotten tired of HD and had been riding a Speed Triple for a couple of years. In any case, he really liked the bike and asked how it sounded. I said it was very sedate. He said, that's OK, he liked a quiet bike. I told him that this was real quiet and, as a result, many people upgraded the exhaust right off the bat. He again reiterated that he liked quiet. So I fired her up. "That's not bad at all", he said. Then I revved her up. He smiled and said "yeah, I would be changing that" :D
I know this is on my list at some point. but not sure which direction I want to go. First on the list, however, is trying to come up with rational reason to tell my wife that it makes sense to replace a perfectly good, functional and quiet exhaust with a louder one. I mean she doesn't even believe that the only reason I have a bike is because it uses less gas so I preserve the environment for our children, their children, whales and the three-toed spotted salamander!
 
Back
Top