Spring Tool

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I know that quite a few people struggle with getting the springs back on when dealing with side/centerstand . Motion Pro has a "new" tool called Tuff Hook , a heavy duty spring hook. Could be useful for some guys .
 
Ouch. $60 for a hook. I am not usually one to cheap out on tools, but in this instance it seems there is a lot of over-engineering going on. For as often as most folks need to pull exhaust springs, it sure seems like a $10 spring puller would be more than sufficient.

Then again, I would probably try and make due with a pair of vise grips that then slip off and scratch the exhaust while simultaneously marring the finish on the spring. :blush:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The tool would pay for itself easily if one were pullin' springs daily for a living.
True. I hadn’t considered a shop mechanic, just a home mechanic.
 
I once had to replace the center stand on my XS650.
To get the spring off the old stand and on the replacement stand I used a technique that I read about.
It is to insert coins between the coils of the spring in order to get it to hold the stretched position until it is long enough to remove when in the most stretched position. This was decades ago and I've forgotten the exact details but I do remember that it worked for me.
 
I made a spring hook from heavy steel wire from a political yard sign frame. Bent a tight hook in one end of the wire, drilled a wire size hole in a hardwood handle and then bent the wire in an "L" shape on the handle end. This is far stronger than the spring hook I bought from Motion Pro which straightened and failed when I tried to install the springs on my NC 750X center stand. BTW, those springs for the NC were the stoutest I've ever dealt with on a stand. I had to use a ratcheting cargo strap attached to the bike lift to actually stretch the springs far enough to place.
 
Thanks for this post. I just bought one.

Will be swapping soon over to a new dual exhaust and removing my Arrow header. Both the header, and the center stand require messing with springs. And I've had many other bikes and reasons to pull springs over the years.


Whoops_imp said:
Ouch. $60 for a hook. I am not usually one to cheap out on tools, but in this instance it seems there is a lot of over-engineering going on. For as often as most folks need to pull exhaust springs, it sure seems like a $10 spring puller would be more than sufficient.

Then again, I would probably try and make due with a pair of vise grips that then slip off and scratch the exhaust while simultaneously marring the finish on the spring. :blush:

It is actually the over engineering that sold me.

Many other spring hooks- even from Motion Pro- you can see pictures of people posting that the hook part breaks. This does not look that that will ever happen.

Additionally- this has 2 more features I like- the ability to lock solid or flex in the middle. The other being that it has a backside barb to function as a PUSH as well.
 
Thread starter
Thank you Josh for buying this spring tool , now they can send me the $ 10 commission they promised me for putting it on this Forum..... Anymore interested buyers to help out this poor retired pensioner......
 
Shall I amend you initial post to declare your interest in the product, Houtman? :P
 
Houtman_imp said:
Thank you Josh for buying this spring tool , now they can send me the $ 10 commission they promised me for putting it on this Forum..... Anymore interested buyers to help out this poor retired pensioner......
:rofl: :P
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Shall I amend you initial post to declare your interest in the product, Houtman? :P
No , but thank you for the offer . I plan to buy the Motion Pro Company and that way ALL the money will flow to me......
 
Is it just me, or is there a cognitive dissonance here: “I’m a poor retired pensioner” and “I plan to buy the company.”
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Is it just me, or is there a cognitive dissonance here: “I’m a poor retired pensioner” and “I plan to buy the company.”
Not really Cormanus , I plan to use this Forum as a GO FUND platform to buy Motion Pro and I will give you all a $ 10 discount when you buy the spring tool. Having the right tool will prevent a lot of bad words and that in itself will make this Forum a happy place.
 
Ah, so we’re going to buy the company?
 
There is some disjointed logic in all this.

Under new ownership, will the tool's list price increase by $10 before the Forum $10 discount is applied?

(we wouldn't want to jip company stakeholders)
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
There is some disjointed logic in all this.

Under new ownership, will the tool's list price increase by $10 before the Forum $10 discount is applied?

(we wouldn't want to jip company stakeholders)
It will all even out in the wash but of course some riders do not wash their bike......
 
Back
Top