Spent the day on an Africa Twin

Hovmod_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The Africa Twin is a delight to ride. I love the sudden jerk of power you get on a good twin when you shift up (2nd to 3rd, say), and there was plenty of it in the AT. I found myself going way faster than I thought many times today. But it is playful, too, and corners beautifully. I felt more confident going hard into familiar corners than I do on my CB1100, after just minutes on it. It's great!
But I hate that I can't plant my feet properly on the ground (I have short legs). Backing it up was almost impossible. The screen also caused turbulence in any position, and I would get a stiff neck and tinnitus from a long ride.
Getting back on the CB1100 it felt kind of stiff and heavy, but it didn't take long to rekindle the passion. I do NOT miss all the bells and whistles, nor all the plastic on the Africa Twin, but I wouldn't mind ten or twenty more hp, tbh.
Fun day, always great to get to try new bikes.
 
I am actively looking for at AT. Recently test rode a '17, '19 DCT, '19 Adventure Sports and '20. All very nice, thought I would like the DCT more and could get a great deal on one but I just enjoy the manual better. They are TALL especially the Adv Spt, I would definitley need a low seat at a minimum. My favorite to ride was a '17 with seat in low position, but I feel like i may should push for the '18/'19 for some upgrades.

The '20 is a fantastic machine but i am not one to buy new . . .

So now just shopping for the right deal/color/miles, etc

As a side, I also test rode a new BMW F850GS Low . . . beautiful machine and if the right one came along i would seriously consider but it will probably be an AT
 
Was that Ferret on an AT :P :D
 
If he can jump on and off like that guy (unless he IS that guy)... :)
 
I have been fortunate enough to own both my CB1100 DLX and an Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT for the last 18 months. I have just sold the Africa Twin not because I didn’t like it, quite the opposite I just found that I could not justify two bikes and cannot see getting rid of the CB. Ride wise the AT was more comfortable, more powerful (just) and gave such a road prescence I felt more seen by traffic, oh and the sound was great.
It’s not fair to compare the CB as they are totally different bikes to own and ride. I got a lot of thumbs up on the AT and wish I could keep both but it has been sold now to a neighbor so at least I can still see it.
The CB had been sitting unused for a while and I have just recommissioned her (needed a spark plug as one had failed) some fresh oil and a new filter and she is back to normal. First ride yesterday brought back the love of this bike along with a numb backside! She will be used a lot more now but just turned 2,000 miles yesterday.
 
SB, I've never owned an AT, but agree with your opinion: as they are totally different bikes to own and ride
 
You are safe PB.. I know I'm short lol. I have not tried an AT but I have ridden a Yamaha Super Tenere and a lowered Yamaha T7. Both were sky high seat wise. On the Super Tenere when I got in from the test ride I couldn't deploy the side stand, my leg wasn't long enough. My son had to run over and put it down so I could climb off. I've also ridden a nephew's KTM 696, and it was really tall. Legs dangled on both sides sitting still.

I have a cruiser body with a sport tourers soul lol
 
Question for those that have spent extended time on an AT, what's the ride like on a highway? When going 70+mph on the CB, I very much feel like a sail in the wind (I don't ride with a windscreen).

I don't understand how other forum members tour on the CB. I love the bike on most rides, but I find extended highway rides to be pretty fatiguing - mostly due to the wind. Which would you rather take on a longer ride, the CB or the AT?

And for those that can put in 4+ hours of highway riding on the CB - how the hell are you doing it!
 
For me, the CB is the most comfy on a highway, can easy clock from 300-1150 kms, daily average if long distancing is 600-800 kms...:biker:
 
motoWest_imp said:
Question for those that have spent extended time on an AT, what's the ride like on a highway? When going 70+mph on the CB, I very much feel like a sail in the wind (I don't ride with a windscreen).

I don't understand how other forum members tour on the CB. I love the bike on most rides, but I find extended highway rides to be pretty fatiguing - mostly due to the wind. Which would you rather take on a longer ride, the CB or the AT?

And for those that can put in 4+ hours of highway riding on the CB - how the hell are you doing it!
I can't speak for the AT specifically, but my dinosaur KLR650 seat height is similar at 35". I'm sure the AT suspensions is better than that of the KLR650...but I have done 700 miles days on the KLR, ridden it to Central America and back (Oregon), and it's very comfortable on the hiway--albeit not fast. Point is, I feel like I can ride on it forever and perhaps the AT provides riders with a similar feeling.

motoWest_imp said:
Question for those that have spent extended time on an AT, what's the ride like on a highway? When going 70+mph on the CB, I very much feel like a sail in the wind (I don't ride with a windscreen).

I don't understand how other forum members tour on the CB. I love the bike on most rides, but I find extended highway rides to be pretty fatiguing - mostly due to the wind. Which would you rather take on a longer ride, the CB or the AT?

And for those that can put in 4+ hours of highway riding on the CB - how the hell are you doing it!
I did a round trip OR to Illinois ride on a '14 standard, and it has much less leg room than my KLR. Because of more cramped riding posittion for me, it takes me a while to build up stamina. I took a week to ride to Illinois, I think it was 7 days and 6 nights, averaging 425 miles per day. The first day was rough...wondering if I was gonna make it. Then by the middle of the second day, I think I settled in and found a groove. By day 3, my back and neck muscles seemed fine and the rest of the 3 week trip I felt at home on the CB.

This isn't to say that the CB1100 is better than this or that for long distances; rather, it took me a few days to feel comfortable on it, and that wasn't the case on an "adventure style" bike.

I need to take more frequent stops on the CB to stretch legs. I added a seat pad forthe seat. Added hiway pegs on the engine guards. I'd say it made the trip do-able, but I'd never say it was totally comfortable...but it's the bike I wanted to do the trip on at the time, so that makes a difference.

The CB for me is rock solid as far as wind turbulance. I use ear plugs which greatly reduces the wind noise to the ears--a small detail that shouldn't be overlooked. I'm planning a few more long rides on the CB once things clear a bit.
 
pdedse_imp said:
motoWest_imp said:
Question for those that have spent extended time on an AT, what's the ride like on a highway? When going 70+mph on the CB, I very much feel like a sail in the wind (I don't ride with a windscreen).

I don't understand how other forum members tour on the CB. I love the bike on most rides, but I find extended highway rides to be pretty fatiguing - mostly due to the wind. Which would you rather take on a longer ride, the CB or the AT?

And for those that can put in 4+ hours of highway riding on the CB - how the hell are you doing it!
I can't speak for the AT specifically, but my dinosaur KLR650 seat height is similar at 35". I'm sure the AT suspensions is better than that of the KLR650...but I have done 700 miles days on the KLR, ridden it to Central America and back (Oregon), and it's very comfortable on the hiway--albeit not fast. Point is, I feel like I can ride on it forever and perhaps the AT provides riders with a similar feeling.

motoWest_imp said:
Question for those that have spent extended time on an AT, what's the ride like on a highway? When going 70+mph on the CB, I very much feel like a sail in the wind (I don't ride with a windscreen).

I don't understand how other forum members tour on the CB. I love the bike on most rides, but I find extended highway rides to be pretty fatiguing - mostly due to the wind. Which would you rather take on a longer ride, the CB or the AT?

And for those that can put in 4+ hours of highway riding on the CB - how the hell are you doing it!
I did a round trip OR to Illinois ride on a '14 standard, and it has much less leg room than my KLR. Because of more cramped riding posittion for me, it takes me a while to build up stamina. I took a week to ride to Illinois, I think it was 7 days and 6 nights, averaging 425 miles per day. The first day was rough...wondering if I was gonna make it. Then by the middle of the second day, I think I settled in and found a groove. By day 3, my back and neck muscles seemed fine and the rest of the 3 week trip I felt at home on the CB.

This isn't to say that the CB1100 is better than this or that for long distances; rather, it took me a few days to feel comfortable on it, and that wasn't the case on an "adventure style" bike.

I need to take more frequent stops on the CB to stretch legs. I added a seat pad forthe seat. Added hiway pegs on the engine guards. I'd say it made the trip do-able, but I'd never say it was totally comfortable...but it's the bike I wanted to do the trip on at the time, so that makes a difference.

The CB for me is rock solid as far as wind turbulance. I use ear plugs which greatly reduces the wind noise to the ears--a small detail that shouldn't be overlooked. I'm planning a few more long rides on the CB once things clear a bit.
Do you use a windscreen? Perhaps my issue is with the standard seating position, not the bike.
 
When I first did touring on a motorcycle the national speed limit was 55mph. At 55 wind noise, pressure and helmet buffeting is pretty much nonexistant.

Now with the speed much higher I find I need/want a windscreen. Otherwise, a naked bike just needs to be ridden slower. Your mileage may vary. :)
 
motoWest_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
motoWest_imp said:
Question for those that have spent extended time on an AT, what's the ride like on a highway? When going 70+mph on the CB, I very much feel like a sail in the wind (I don't ride with a windscreen).

I don't understand how other forum members tour on the CB. I love the bike on most rides, but I find extended highway rides to be pretty fatiguing - mostly due to the wind. Which would you rather take on a longer ride, the CB or the AT?

And for those that can put in 4+ hours of highway riding on the CB - how the hell are you doing it!
I can't speak for the AT specifically, but my dinosaur KLR650 seat height is similar at 35". I'm sure the AT suspensions is better than that of the KLR650...but I have done 700 miles days on the KLR, ridden it to Central America and back (Oregon), and it's very comfortable on the hiway--albeit not fast. Point is, I feel like I can ride on it forever and perhaps the AT provides riders with a similar feeling.

motoWest_imp said:
Question for those that have spent extended time on an AT, what's the ride like on a highway? When going 70+mph on the CB, I very much feel like a sail in the wind (I don't ride with a windscreen).

I don't understand how other forum members tour on the CB. I love the bike on most rides, but I find extended highway rides to be pretty fatiguing - mostly due to the wind. Which would you rather take on a longer ride, the CB or the AT?

And for those that can put in 4+ hours of highway riding on the CB - how the hell are you doing it!
I did a round trip OR to Illinois ride on a '14 standard, and it has much less leg room than my KLR. Because of more cramped riding posittion for me, it takes me a while to build up stamina. I took a week to ride to Illinois, I think it was 7 days and 6 nights, averaging 425 miles per day. The first day was rough...wondering if I was gonna make it. Then by the middle of the second day, I think I settled in and found a groove. By day 3, my back and neck muscles seemed fine and the rest of the 3 week trip I felt at home on the CB.

This isn't to say that the CB1100 is better than this or that for long distances; rather, it took me a few days to feel comfortable on it, and that wasn't the case on an "adventure style" bike.

I need to take more frequent stops on the CB to stretch legs. I added a seat pad forthe seat. Added hiway pegs on the engine guards. I'd say it made the trip do-able, but I'd never say it was totally comfortable...but it's the bike I wanted to do the trip on at the time, so that makes a difference.

The CB for me is rock solid as far as wind turbulance. I use ear plugs which greatly reduces the wind noise to the ears--a small detail that shouldn't be overlooked. I'm planning a few more long rides on the CB once things clear a bit.
Do you use a windscreen? Perhaps my issue is with the standard seating position, not the bike.
Nope. I have long torso so windscreens just force air right into my forehead. W/out, it all feels good to me.
 
I do a fair bit of touring, but I spend as much time as I possibly can on roads other than highways. We’re into change that, I’d either have to put a large screen on the CB to shoot the air over my head, or buy a different bike. But I can’t imagine a circumstance where I’d want to go long-distance touring via highway.
 
Back
Top