Speedo dial - change from kph to mph

Ninemeister_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I think my 2014 6 speed K10 is a Japanese import (has Japan spec HyperPro shocks) and as a result has a kph only speedometer which I would like to change to a mph or combined mph/kph version. I have no issue leaving the trip in km. UK law says that the speed has to be in mph, hence the importer has carefully coloured out the k of the km/h to disguise the calibration.

Easiest way would be to change the speedo face plate for one from a used speedo or have the current one re-printed with the appropriate scale(s).

Any suggestions to where I can get this done (or does anyone have a spare speedo?).

Thanks in advance.
 
If you can take a picture of a meter face in miles, you can take it to a printing place that makes vinyl stickers. The center hole for the needle would have to be larger so you could slip the needle through. Or you could just do a curved perimeter strip.

If you don't have access to a picture of one, it can be done on Photoshop.
Fortunately, the cover on the CB1100 meter cover can be removed to access the face.

There was a discussion on speedometer faces with pics to show the meter face spacing. Most liked the mph only face compared to the mph/kph.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15295
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
If you can take a picture of a meter face in miles, you can take it to a printing place that makes vinyl stickers. The center hole for the needle would have to be larger so you could slip the needle through. Or you could just do a curved perimeter strip.

If you don't have access to a picture of one, it can be done on Photoshop.
Fortunately, the cover on the CB1100 meter cover can be removed to access the face.

There was a discussion on speedometer faces with pics to show the meter face spacing. Most liked the mph only face compared to the mph/kph.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15295
I have a good mate who is a dab hand with Photoshop so this is definitely an option - provided we can think of a work-around for the hidden warning icons at the bottom of the speedo.
The perfectionist in me knows that I wouldn't be happy to use a number overlay segment, however this might be a good temporary solution until I can find a used mph speedo.
 
Randy B_imp said:
This is the cheapest I could find a new one.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/honda/37200-mgc-a41/b3262927?m=155474&sch=847989

You might want to see if you can locate that part number in the UK.
Yikes, a bit rich for something that is a linear conversion ...



Would be easier to print the mph scale on a clear "static cling" sheet and overlay on the speedometer dial? Maybe not the entire dial circle, but the overlay would be a crescent ring or a smaller pad that would be overlaid so you can still see the indicator needle clearly.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
This is the cheapest I could find a new one.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/honda/37200-mgc-a41/b3262927?m=155474&sch=847989

You might want to see if you can locate that part number in the UK.
Yikes, a bit rich for something that is a linear conversion ...



Would be easier to print the mph scale on a clear "static cling" sheet and overlay on the speedometer dial? Maybe not the entire dial circle, but the overlay would be a crescent ring or a smaller pad that would be overlaid so you can still see the indicator needle clearly.
Yes, it would, I totally agree.

Unless you are a perfectionist who (from driving a lot of LHD cars) has enough experience to convert km/h to mph in my head.

I also suspect that something so "non-Honda" would diminish the karma from fitting a pair of RLETs, but that's a whole new conversation that's probably best discussed on another thread.
 
Ninemeister_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
This is the cheapest I could find a new one.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/honda/37200-mgc-a41/b3262927?m=155474&sch=847989

You might want to see if you can locate that part number in the UK.
Yikes, a bit rich for something that is a linear conversion ...



Would be easier to print the mph scale on a clear "static cling" sheet and overlay on the speedometer dial? Maybe not the entire dial circle, but the overlay would be a crescent ring or a smaller pad that would be overlaid so you can still see the indicator needle clearly.
Yes, it would, I totally agree.

Unless you are a perfectionist who (from driving a lot of LHD cars) has enough experience to convert km/h to mph in my head.

I also suspect that something so "non-Honda" would diminish the karma from fitting a pair of RLETs, but that's a whole new conversation that's probably best discussed on another thread.
Yes, it would, I totally agree.

Unless you are a perfectionist who (from driving a lot of LHD cars) has enough experience to convert km/h to mph in my head.

I also suspect that something so "non-Honda" would diminish the karma from fitting a pair of RLETs, but that's a whole new conversation that's probably best discussed on another thread.
Like these, but reversed image. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEEDO-OVE...-or-KPH-WHITE-SPEEDOMETER-DIALS-/183768199598

or better yet:
http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/kph_to_mph_speedo_conversion.html
 
Thread starter
Besides the fact that $600 (which is more like £700 when shipped and taxed) is nearly 10% of my budget to date, where is the fun in using a credit card to solve your problems? I'll continue my search for a broken or damaged one to play with, seems like the most likely resolution provided I remain patient.
 
I know that you are mandated to have the speed in MPH, but what about the odometer? Does that need to be in MPH as well? If so, then any overlay would be out of the question.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
I know that you are mandated to have the speed in MPH, but what about the odometer? Does that need to be in MPH as well? If so, then any overlay would be out of the question.
The km ODO is no issue, especially since the MOT tests have recorded the mileage in km already.

I totally agree that overlays make sense for most, except I'm just one of the minority who want to have things "right".
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Ninemeister_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
This is the cheapest I could find a new one.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/honda/37200-mgc-a41/b3262927?m=155474&sch=847989

You might want to see if you can locate that part number in the UK.
Yikes, a bit rich for something that is a linear conversion ...



Would be easier to print the mph scale on a clear "static cling" sheet and overlay on the speedometer dial? Maybe not the entire dial circle, but the overlay would be a crescent ring or a smaller pad that would be overlaid so you can still see the indicator needle clearly.
Yes, it would, I totally agree.

Unless you are a perfectionist who (from driving a lot of LHD cars) has enough experience to convert km/h to mph in my head.

I also suspect that something so "non-Honda" would diminish the karma from fitting a pair of RLETs, but that's a whole new conversation that's probably best discussed on another thread.
Yes, it would, I totally agree.

Unless you are a perfectionist who (from driving a lot of LHD cars) has enough experience to convert km/h to mph in my head.

I also suspect that something so "non-Honda" would diminish the karma from fitting a pair of RLETs, but that's a whole new conversation that's probably best discussed on another thread.
Like these, but reversed image. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEEDO-OVE...-or-KPH-WHITE-SPEEDOMETER-DIALS-/183768199598

or better yet:
http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/kph_to_mph_speedo_conversion.html
Yes, it would, I totally agree.

Unless you are a perfectionist who (from driving a lot of LHD cars) has enough experience to convert km/h to mph in my head.

I also suspect that something so "non-Honda" would diminish the karma from fitting a pair of RLETs, but that's a whole new conversation that's probably best discussed on another thread.
Like these, but reversed image. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEEDO-OVE...-or-KPH-WHITE-SPEEDOMETER-DIALS-/183768199598

or better yet:
http://www.speedofixer.co.uk/kph_to_mph_speedo_conversion.html
I kinda like these overlays. ʘ‿ʘ
 
Yeah, I like both of those options.
 
Thread starter
Hey, that's great news:
I'll send you my km/h speedo backplate, you swap them over and stick on a super cool overlay, then send me your ordinary mph one and we're all happy!

:rofl:
 
Thread starter
Matthew 7.7:
Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find...

(or you will in exchange for a few dollars)

:beerchug:
 
Back
Top