Speedo accuracy

hl9td_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I've always hated bike speedo's optimism. Never had a bike that wasn't "fast". Put GPS on CB and recorded speedometer vs GPS. CB clock reads absolutely same as GPS up to 80 mph. At 85 it is 1 mph fast. Finally a bike that tells the truth. This is with tires at rec'd pressures, etc.
 
Great Ive been wondering. I know it reads 3 mph less than my brothers Bonneville which reads a little fast.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Great Ive been wondering. I know it reads 3 mph less than my brothers Bonneville which reads a little fast.
The 09 Boneville I had showed 5-8 mph faster than actual, at all speeds. The shown Ton wasn't close to an actual 100mph, just felt like it...tp
 
dirtdreamer50_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Great Ive been wondering. I know it reads 3 mph less than my brothers Bonneville which reads a little fast.
The 09 Boneville I had showed 5-8 mph faster than actual, at all speeds. The shown Ton wasn't close to an actual 100mph, just felt like it...tp
The 09 Boneville I had showed 5-8 mph faster than actual, at all speeds. The shown Ton wasn't close to an actual 100mph, just felt like it...tp
Yea his reads about 5 fast at the speeds we ride which is nowhere near the ton. His usually is reading around 55 im reading a needle width over 50
 
A lot of bikes are 5% off, but my 2010 Bonne was easily 10% fast. 60 mph indicated was 53 on the GPS. If the CB is as close as you are saying, that would be a refreshing change.
 
I know this is reviving an ancient thread, but I'm pleased to report that the speedo on my 2017 EX also is very accurate. At an indicated 65 mph, my gps was showing 64 mph. That is amazingly accurate for a bike. At 65 mph on my gps, my Ducati speedo says 72 mph with stock gearing and tire sizes. Good for Honda.
 
I agree about Honda's accuracy. My CB500X has been spot on, at every radar speed indicator sign I have tried. So used to my other bikes being optimistic, I have to keep an eye on the speedo, when on the 500. tp dd50

FWIW, don't have any of the bikes listed below any longer, but can't remember how to change the list...tp
 
My CB seems dead on accurate at 60 when I checked. Worst bike we had was Pam's V-strom which was 5 mph optimistic at 60 mph. Because the V-strom takes it's speed pulses from the front sprocket, a change to a one tooth larger sprocket lowered the rpm's at 60 and put the speedometer dead on.
 
dirtdreamer50_imp said:
I agree about Honda's accuracy. My CB500X has been spot on, at every radar speed indicator sign I have tried. So used to my other bikes being optimistic, I have to keep an eye on the speedo, when on the 500. tp dd50

FWIW, don't have any of the bikes listed below any longer, but can't remember how to change the list...tp

Wow, good to hear from you dd50!

If you care to change the information in your signature you should be able to get to that by way of the User Control Panel (User CP) associated with your account.

(For what it’s worth the speedo on my CB1100 has been spot on the few different times that I checked it in the past.)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Mine has never been accurate. It's about 7 khp over—i.e. at 100 kph true, the speedo is showing 107 kph.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Mine has never been accurate. It's about 7 khp over—i.e. at 100 kph true, the speedo is showing 107 kph.
My 2103 CB500XA was about 6% optimistic and so is my 2017 CB100 EX according to those electronic speed signs. I knew something was off because I was always getting tail gated at 95 KPH on 80 KPH roads. That is the speed that you might get a warning, but not a ticket unless you were driving erratically. So that is speed most drivers have learned to use. I have to ride at 100 KPH to go with the flow. Since I have not been stopped and seldom passed over the last 4 summers, I assume I really am travelling at 95 KPH.
 
have a couple Escort Passport 9500ix radar detectors in my cars which show GPS Speed the moment radar is detected and that will show for sure if the Speedo is off. will try to put one on my bike when i find radar on the raod and not a school zone
 
Tacho deviation is a must in Gernany. Cars and motorbikes must all differ from real speed and show more than you drive. Sometimes I check the shown speed of the speedometer with a value shown on a digital screen at the side off the street, which is often used here, so the rider can check his speed. All my vehicles show more. Round about 5 km/h. But the difference increases slightly with speeds faster than 50km/h. I assume the radar checked speed is also a bit out of tune. So the truth lies in between.

Wisedrum
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Mine has never been accurate. It's about 7 khp over—i.e. at 100 kph true, the speedo is showing 107 kph.
My 2103 CB500XA was about 6% optimistic and so is my 2017 CB100 EX according to those electronic speed signs. I knew something was off because I was always getting tail gated at 95 KPH on 80 KPH roads. That is the speed that you might get a warning, but not a ticket unless you were driving erratically. So that is speed most drivers have learned to use. I have to ride at 100 KPH to go with the flow. Since I have not been stopped and seldom passed over the last 4 summers, I assume I really am travelling at 95 KPH.
My 2103 CB500XA was about 6% optimistic and so is my 2017 CB100 EX according to those electronic speed signs. I knew something was off because I was always getting tail gated at 95 KPH on 80 KPH roads. That is the speed that you might get a warning, but not a ticket unless you were driving erratically. So that is speed most drivers have learned to use. I have to ride at 100 KPH to go with the flow. Since I have not been stopped and seldom passed over the last 4 summers, I assume I really am travelling at 95 KPH.
If you were caught doing 95 kph in an 80 kph zone in Queensland, it would cost you AU$250 and 3 demerit points. You’d never be allowed that sort of latitude. *sigh*
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Mine has never been accurate. It's about 7 khp over—i.e. at 100 kph true, the speedo is showing 107 kph.
That is because you are riding a northern hemisphere bike in the southern hemisphere! Mine is the most accurate speedo I have ever experienced.
 
lol. Lucky you, doc.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Mine has never been accurate. It's about 7 khp over—i.e. at 100 kph true, the speedo is showing 107 kph.
That is because you are riding a northern hemisphere bike in the southern hemisphere! Mine is the most accurate speedo I have ever experienced.
On both the CB500 and CB1100 forums I have noticed the owners with MPH speedometers find them accurate. Those of us with KPH speedometers find them optimistic.

When Canada converted to the metric system, 60 MPH roads became 80 KPH (50 MPH) roads. So that may be a reason why the speed limits on quiet highways are not strictly enforced as long as you are driving properly.

Most of my riding is done on quiet 2 lane roads an hour or more from the city. So they are not patrolled as much as the busier roads.

I am fortunate that the rush hour traffic is always headed in the opposite direction when I leave and return home.
 
Back
Top