Speed Sensor

CIP57_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Posted By CBXX

Ok, let me try this again. The speed sensor is the black
wire running along the rear swing arm on none abs models
from the rear brake caliper to the wiring harness inside the
right sidecover (one with CB1100 on it) by the air box lid.
You can unhook it/disable it but it is illegal to alter this
wire in Texas because it disconnects the speedo/odo which
would alter the actual miles of the vehicle when you sell it.
So now your top speed is faster but you cannot see it on dash.
Bike does not care what gear you are in, when speed sensor
sees 112 MPH it shuts off fuel/air. Done for Japan market.

This wire seems to be getting its read off of a round slotted disk mounted to the rear wheel. I masked and cover the holes of this disk and it had no effect on the speedo. I'm wondering if the removal of this indicator would not allow the limiter to read the 112 mph. You would probably have to re-balance your rear wheel. Any thoughts from the tech guys here??
 
I doubt its a photo sensor of some sort, but I haven't checked. I would imagin its like, or is, a Hall effect sensor. In that care taping the hole most likely would not matter, and in your case it doesn't.

google hall effect sensor to see how they work
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I doubt its a photo sensor of some sort, but I haven't checked. I would imagin its like, or is, a Hall effect sensor. In that care taping the hole most likely would not matter, and in your case it doesn't.

google hall effect sensor to see how they work
Interesting read Pop, removing the plate would have the same effect as disconnecting the wire ?
 
It would also be interesting to hear the thought process involved in limiting this bike (and all others also?) to 112 mph in Japan. Did someone say that 110 mph is perfectly safe but once you get to 112... WHOA!!! now you guys are getting crazy?!?! I guess I am not understanding the logic that chose a mph limit rather than a rev limiter that serves the purpose of protecting the engine from over-revving while also keeping the mph down...

Are all models sold in the Japanese market limited to this same mph or is this somehow unique to the CB1100?
 
GUNFTR_imp said:
It would also be interesting to hear the thought process involved in limiting this bike (and all others also?) to 112 mph in Japan. Did someone say that 110 mph is perfectly safe but once you get to 112... WHOA!!! now you guys are getting crazy?!?! I guess I am not understanding the logic that chose a mph limit rather than a rev limiter that serves the purpose of protecting the engine from over-revving while also keeping the mph down...

Are all models sold in the Japanese market limited to this same mph or is this somehow unique to the CB1100?
IDK but you can be sure a lawyer or politician or both was the reason for it.
 
Its acutally 180 kph so its not an oddball number to them.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I doubt its a photo sensor of some sort, but I haven't checked. I would imagin its like, or is, a Hall effect sensor. In that care taping the hole most likely would not matter, and in your case it doesn't.

google hall effect sensor to see how they work
Interesting read Pop, removing the plate would have the same effect as disconnecting the wire ?
Interesting read Pop, removing the plate would have the same effect as disconnecting the wire ?
Sorry about the bad spelling in my post :blush:

I would think removing the plate would work. Or try using metal tape like HVAC guys use. I looked at mine and that sensor is pretty close to the disc so be careful.

I'm no expert on this, but doesn't the ECU need the speed input to run the fuel map correctly? Can someone comment on this?
 
Thread starter
I would think removing the plate would work. Or try using metal tape like HVAC guys use. I looked at mine and that sensor is pretty close to the disc so be careful.

If the sensor is independent to the ECU and only function is a speed limiter it may work. I don't have a shop manual yet to look at the wiring schematic.
Its not that important to me but would like to see it gone as I'm sure other would too.
 
CIP57_imp said:
I would think removing the plate would work. Or try using metal tape like HVAC guys use. I looked at mine and that sensor is pretty close to the disc so be careful.

If the sensor is independent to the ECU and only function is a speed limiter it may work. I don't have a shop manual yet to look at the wiring schematic.
Its not that important to me but would like to see it gone as I'm sure other would too.
It does input to the ECU but I don't have the schematic with me at the moment.
 
For non abs, remove ring or remove sensor or simply unplug sensor wires(easiest)....same result. No signal, no Speedo, no odometer, no speed limiter. Read in service manual somewhere that speed sensor failure does not affect engine performance.

Sensor signal wires go directly to Speedo and there is one speed wire from the cluster to the ecu. Who will be the first to locate this one wire and disconnect it to see if this disables the speed limiter.?
 
Thanks Deanohh,

I'm going to have to take a look at the service manual tonight and bone up on this.
 
use a GPS unit... they can tell you how fast your going...

Plus with having spent 4 years overseas in Japan, the speed limit on their equivalent to the interstate is a top 100 kph. So having a top speed limited to 80 more than that is in my opinion good.

Also, unless your planning on racing this bike, albeit on a regulation track, why in anyones name would you need to go over 100mph? Sure granted there is one state I believe without a top speed on the interstate, but most others do have a top speed in the range near 80mph??? Personally I am leaving my bikes speed sensor alone and keeping my speed to well below that 112mph. I don't need to test murphy's law...
 
Montana used to be Reasonable and Prudent but folks without common sense and a strong desire to speed pushed the limits (most folks back in the day kept to 70) so the Highway Patrol, unable to enforce the previous law got the state to convert over to standard speed limits that could be enforced. 75 on the freeways, 70 on state roads etc. 55 for trucks at night which to me would just encourage truckers to drive during the day only.
 
Thread starter
Why the hell does anyone want to disconnect this thing or go over 112 mph? There is a reason it's there and maybe you don't wanna find out the hard way. It's a free country and I guess we can do whatever we want and experiment in any way we want but you wanna go more than 112 mph, get a bike that's V-rated with the right tires and suspension and go somewhere it's safe.
[/QUOTE]

Stretch, My tires are V rated, according to Bridgestone that's 150MPH speed rating. As far as suspension, this bike far exceeds my 1982 Suzuki GS1100EZ which I've had up to 140mph, bias ply tubed tires ( speedo only goes to 85--- GPS mounted on bike)
Are we going to go the fast, not likely, but its nice to know you can out run a Honda Civic to the exit ramp if need beeeeee!!!!
 
GUNFTR_imp said:
It would also be interesting to hear the thought process involved in limiting this bike (and all others also?) to 112 mph in Japan. Did someone say that 110 mph is perfectly safe but once you get to 112... WHOA!!! now you guys are getting crazy?!?! I guess I am not understanding the logic that chose a mph limit rather than a rev limiter that serves the purpose of protecting the engine from over-revving while also keeping the mph down...

Are all models sold in the Japanese market limited to this same mph or is this somehow unique to the CB1100?
Gentlemen,

It is my understanding that all bikes sold in Japan are speed limited to 180 kph (112 mph). Even 200 HP sportbikes that would be capable of 180 mph without a limiter. Bikes for export are often built without a limiter as most countries don't mandate top speeds for new vehicles. Because the CB1100 is a cruser that will seldom if ever be ridden above 112 mph by most owners Honda didn't bother to develop a limiter free ECU for export bikes. They probably made a good call there. I've had my CB above 100 and I have no desire to see 113+ on this bike.

Chip
 
Back
Top