Spark Plugs

The ferret_imp said:
The CB 1100 takes special one off spark plugs designed for this bike. made by NGK they carry the designation LMAR8A-9S Honda part number 31908-MGC-003 and takes QTY 4. The bodies on these plugs are extremely thin as are the threads which are also extremely long at 26.5 MM or just over an inch.

The plugs are expensive at $19.99 each and it's highly unlikely your dealer will stock any so they will probably need to be ordered. A standard spark plug wrench is not going to work well given the small confines of the area to work in. However Motion Pro makes a thin walled 14MM narrow plug wrench that uses a 1/4" ratchet, a 13 mm box end wrench or a 14 mm box end wrench socket or T handle to loosen and tighten. It also has a rubber ceramic gripper up inside. Your dealer can get this from one of his suppliers or you can order it directly from Motion Pro

This pic illustrates just how small these plugs and tool are, On the left is a standard spark plug socket next to the Motion Pro Unit.
On the right is a standard spark plug next to the plug used in the CB 1100. Gap .031-.035 using a wire type feeler gauge is recommended.

L to R std spark plug socket, thin walled 14 mm Motion Pro spark plug socket, std spark plug, LMAR8A-9S spark plug for CB 1100



Shinchan_imp said:
Shinchan_imp said:
Not sure if this is a special deal or this is the price that these plugs have finally settled into, but I'm going to go ahead and buy a set to keep in my "someday" parts bin...
Are you sure that is the right part number? It is missing the "S" from the end of the number the ferret posted.
 
Thread starter
Oh man I didnt notice that. Hope they are the same, my set is already on the way lol
 
Thread starter
Well they are different, but all specs are the same. And the S suffix stands for " special gasket". hmm wonder what that means?

when they get here Monday I will compare them to the ones I have in stock and report back to this thread
 
Thanks for the pictures Ferret. I would be cautious installing this without knowing the difference in "S" and the impact it may have on the engine.. Just my thoughts...
 
Great find Aschem! My dealer charges $18.95 per plug.
 
Thanks for the photos Ferret. I feel terrible for leading anybody astray who ordered these. The Ebay link was the result of a Google search that seemed to not care about the missing 'S'.

That being said, perhaps an authorized NGK dealer can get the special washers by themselves? If anybody has a lead on the washers, I would be happy to buy a bunch and send them to anyone who bought these based on my incorrect link...
 
Thread starter
Shinchan, no problem, you were just trying to find everyone a bargain. I am going to call the place tomorrow and see what they say about an exchange. I too google searched by exact number with the S and that ad you referred to popped up. Very misleading.

I tried to remove the washers and I couldn't get one off, not sure how they got them on lol.

Doubt you can buy the washers separately. Lets see what the ebay seller has to say.

contact us at (888) 679-6279, 9am-5pm PT Customer Service ...
 
I wonder if the flatter washer has to do with better heat transfer? Disclaimer: I'm not exactly any kind of spark plug expert and that may be a dumb question.
 
Thread starter
I wonder if its because of the bolt on air channels. There doesnt seem to be a lot of room down in there and maybe the larger crush gasket would expand too much and not let the plug seat properly or something. I just don't know.
 
I wouldn't worry too much about the difference. I've had my old spark plugs out and there is at least .5mm of flat sealing space on each side of the spark plug head, so a slightly bigger washer should fit. The one big concern I would have with these is that the non-s crush washer seems to be a different style that would leave it thinner once compressed, effectively moving the sparkplug head closer to the piston (though probably not enough to actually cause damage). Tough call, I'd probably run them, but I don't have enough faith in that to recommend it to others...

Nice racket for NGK though, change a $.005 washer and tripple the price by giving the plug a new part number.
 
Shinchan_imp said:
I know, it's getting down to the "normal" NGK plug prices...

I wonder if in 40 years these weirdo plugs will be rarer than hen's teeth.

The ferret_imp said:
Wow that's like $6.50 each and free shipping. I already have a set in stock but getting ready to use those, so I'm in for a set. Thanks for the tip Shinchan
40 years from now those plugs will be a lot more numerous than current members of this Forum.

Chip
 
Thread starter
I called today was on hold for awhile, then an automated thing came on and asked for my name order number, issue and phone number and a promise to return my call. They never did. Will try again tomorrow.

Has anybody else called?
 
Back
Top