Spark Plugs

HondaJon_imp

Been there
Thread starter
During my diagnostic battle with my TSR Header, (she has no go now between 5K and redline, I suspect the PC V is dumping too much fuel) I pulled the plugs to see how she was running (they look on the rich side to me) The threaded portion of the plug is an inch long!

Just a word of advice guys, If you haven't pulled your plugs yet, do it and give them a good coat of anti-seize. The plugs take a 14 mm socket. Cheap insurance
 
There was a service bulletin about the plugs from honda. I believe I posted what it said back in April. let me see if I can find it.

Ok its service bulletin march 2013 and all it says is

" the oil gallery around each spark plug is sealed by a plug hole cover that should never need servicing during routine maintenance. Or cylinder head service. The spark plug threads are rather long ( 26.5 mm) so take care when removing the spark plugs"

No big deal...
 
Thread starter
Space, you have to first remove the outer plug, then I used a 1/4 inch ratchet to loosen, then my fingers. I did undo the single tank bolt under the seat and proped the back of the tank up with a small box.

The hole in the socket is 1/4 inch, but an open end wrench could work too.
 
It will be interesting to see what the average life span of our plugs turns out to be. When I do change them I think the extra bucks for Iridium replacements will be money well-spent. This bike sure ain't no Shovelhead.
 
Those service bulletins are pretty interesting reading. Do you know if there's collection of them someplace on the web?
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
It will be interesting to see what the average life span of our plugs turns out to be. When I do change them I think the extra bucks for Iridium replacements will be money well-spent. This bike sure ain't no Shovelhead.
I just looked the spark plugs up. The normal price for the NGK LMAR8A-9S here in Europe is 22,- € (that is just shy of 30,- US-Dollars). Per spark plug. You need four. I hope they last a while. :)
 
yetanotherGerman_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
It will be interesting to see what the average life span of our plugs turns out to be. When I do change them I think the extra bucks for Iridium replacements will be money well-spent. This bike sure ain't no Shovelhead.
I just looked the spark plugs up. The normal price for the NGK LMAR8A-9S here in Europe is 22,- € (that is just shy of 30,- US-Dollars). Per spark plug. You need four. I hope they last a while. :)
Ouch! That's a steep price. When I saw how much they cost, I assumed that they must be either iridium or platinum long life plugs. I assumed wrong. Checking the NGK site, they list these as standard spark plugs.

I wonder what makes these plugs so much more valuable than the $5 NGK standard plugs I bought for the CB750? They have an obviously longer nose, but that hardly justifies 6x the price.
 
Same price for the plugs in my Civic, but they are good for 110,000 miles.

Edit I should add that my plugs in my Civic now have 197,000 miles on them and the car starts fine and runs good and still gets 38 mpg ave, but I am planning on replacing them at 200,000..just because lol
 
I thought I had found a killer deal on these plugs on eBay but it was a different number,,,,,
 
The ferret_imp said:
Same price for the plugs in my Civic, but they are good for 110,000 miles.

Edit I should add that my plugs in my Civic now have 197,000 miles on them and the car starts fine and runs good and still gets 38 mpg ave, but I am planning on replacing them at 200,000..just because lol
Again most every fellar has a different POV about plugs and
replacement.In a car,a spark plug could and should last
around 100,ooo miles.My Harley buddy who is a retired
Military Tank mechanic who has a huge tool collection
thinks a motorcycle should change out plugs kinda frequently.
I disagree.Plus he did something I know was not good.I was at
his garage and needed to use one of his spark plug wrenches
to take out a plug that needed cleaning.It was slightly fouled because I had my Fuel Injection module mapped too rich when
I dialed in my new exhaust.When I went to put the plug back in
he insisted I tighten them really good.He had a torque wrench
but wasn't about to run around and look for it.So he tightened the
plug back in really hard.I said ... whoa thar.That isn't good.
Especially when the sleeve for the plug is aluminum.You'll
strip it on too tight.Surely he musta known that.
You don't tighten plugs too tight.Snug them on by hand and then
another quarter turn or so.
 
I'm not able to find LMAR8A-9S in Singapore.
Some web site seems to suggest NGK Standard Plug DR9EA and Iridium Plug DR9EIX plugs are compatible.
Any advise?
Thanks in advance.

Chung
 
Chung_imp said:
I'm not able to find LMAR8A-9S in Singapore.
Some web site seems to suggest NGK Standard Plug DR9EA and Iridium Plug DR9EIX plugs are compatible.
Any advise?
Thanks in advance.

Chung
You mean your local Honda dealer cannot get the spark plugs required for the bike ?
When the CBR250R first got to the US, the replacement oil filters were not immediately available, but they started showing up a month or 2 after the bikes did.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Chung_imp said:
I'm not able to find LMAR8A-9S in Singapore.
Some web site seems to suggest NGK Standard Plug DR9EA and Iridium Plug DR9EIX plugs are compatible.
Any advise?
Thanks in advance.

Chung
You mean your local Honda dealer cannot get the spark plugs required for the bike ?
When the CBR250R first got to the US, the replacement oil filters were not immediately available, but they started showing up a month or 2 after the bikes did.
The dealer did not bring CB1100 to Singapore.
We get parallel imports :shy:
 
Back
Top