spark plugs after 70.000 Km

max

Road warrior
Thread starter
For some reason we decided to have a look at the sparkplugs which are the original ones on the 2010 cb1100.

Something vitally importand on this bike is to clean any debris around the sparkplugs so as to prevent sand, small rocks and other hard things falling into the cylinder and " make themselves at home there " .

We pried some small loose rocks out of the cavity, blew around the sparkplugs before starting to loosen them, some loose grit came flying out with several blows in the small plastic tube, and also before the sparkplugs were completely removed some more loose stuff was "blown away", the second lot surprised me but there it is, easy to overlook this debris.

83199e098d02fef42348dfdc8b210244.jpg


and here are the plugs after 70.000 Km, the gap is 1 mm., the spec is 0.8 to 0,9 mm and i think i have gapped them before around 25.000 Km.
To me it seems fine for another 30.000 at least;

2a9a6f1a999987dff24a2c77e405e94f.jpg



and the tools i used to get them out and i used the smalles amount of 90w gear oil on the threads which helped a lot when putting them back in the engine, we"ll see if that was a good idea some time later;

be8138af8a672eccf9b3b5ae6dea6d2c.jpg



So we think that removing them has some risk included because of the debris our bikes are prone to collect and it is easy to forget to blow the plugs clean before removing them, hope this helps.
 
The plugs look good to me too, max. 100,000 kms should be reasonable.

Yeah, the classic roadway debris is always an issue when removing plugs from any engine. Even if the high tension leads have rubber boot/caps, I still find junk tends to fall down into the base area of the plug.
 
Hmmm...and to think the shop where I had my valves checked also replaced the spark plugs at 14k miles.
 
I replace mine (and the air cleaner) approx every 25,000 miles (40,000km). Just put in my third set just before the CB 1100 rally this year.
 
I replace my spark plugs and air filter, all OEM, every 50K kms.
They always look almost like new.
 
Very sure my plugs would last 100K+ kms, and the reason I dont keep them that long in service is air cooled engine and higher chance of failure, which I don’t need during long distance rides,
:biker:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Very sure my plugs would last 100K+ kms, and the reason I dont keep them that long in service is air cooled engine and higher chance of failure, which I don’t need during long distance rides,
:biker:
The only time I replaced plugs was on my '76 Yamaha RD400 two-smoker. Sometimes I just got lazy.

All my other rides never saw plug changes. Yes, perhaps cleaning/re-gapping, but that was it.

With many larger bore modern lumps with a pair of plugs per cylinder, I reckon the probability of getting a spark is better. I definitely never changed plugs on those configurations.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Very sure my plugs would last 100K+ kms, and the reason I dont keep them that long in service is air cooled engine and higher chance of failure, which I don’t need during long distance rides,
:biker:
The only time I replaced plugs was on my '76 Yamaha RD400 two-smoker. Sometimes I just got lazy.

All my other rides never saw plug changes. Yes, perhaps cleaning/re-gapping, but that was it.

With many larger bore modern lumps with a pair of plugs per cylinder, I reckon the probability of getting a spark is better. I definitely never changed plugs on those configurations.
The only time I replaced plugs was on my '76 Yamaha RD400 two-smoker. Sometimes I just got lazy.

All my other rides never saw plug changes. Yes, perhaps cleaning/re-gapping, but that was it.

With many larger bore modern lumps with a pair of plugs per cylinder, I reckon the probability of getting a spark is better. I definitely never changed plugs on those configurations.
Had 2 sets of spark plugs ordered a few days ago, and took the old ones out today. They look like Max's plugs. Given that the plug type for the CB1100 is a special one, and there aren't many CB1100 around, I figured it's good to have spares for such plugs which no other engines need. But when I look at my old spark plugs ... I guess I am now equipped for at least 150,000 miles on the CB1100.
 
In theory, and with favorable riding treatment of the CB1100, yes - the OEM plugs are very long lasting.

This can be empirically observed for many Honda internal combustion engine products.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Very sure my plugs would last 100K+ kms, and the reason I dont keep them that long in service is air cooled engine and higher chance of failure, which I don’t need during long distance rides,
:biker:
The only time I replaced plugs was on my '76 Yamaha RD400 two-smoker. Sometimes I just got lazy.

All my other rides never saw plug changes. Yes, perhaps cleaning/re-gapping, but that was it.

With many larger bore modern lumps with a pair of plugs per cylinder, I reckon the probability of getting a spark is better. I definitely never changed plugs on those configurations.
The only time I replaced plugs was on my '76 Yamaha RD400 two-smoker. Sometimes I just got lazy.

All my other rides never saw plug changes. Yes, perhaps cleaning/re-gapping, but that was it.

With many larger bore modern lumps with a pair of plugs per cylinder, I reckon the probability of getting a spark is better. I definitely never changed plugs on those configurations.
Had 2 sets of spark plugs ordered a few days ago, and took the old ones out today. They look like Max's plugs. Given that the plug type for the CB1100 is a special one, and there aren't many CB1100 around, I figured it's good to have spares for such plugs which no other engines need. But when I look at my old spark plugs ... I guess I am now equipped for at least 150,000 miles on the CB1100.
Because of good situations like this, devices like these can stay out of landfills, longer.

With practically every member of a household wanting a cage these days, and some households sheltering more than one family, the pressure is on the landfill more than ever.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Very sure my plugs would last 100K+ kms, and the reason I dont keep them that long in service is air cooled engine and higher chance of failure, which I don’t need during long distance rides,
:biker:
The only time I replaced plugs was on my '76 Yamaha RD400 two-smoker. Sometimes I just got lazy.

All my other rides never saw plug changes. Yes, perhaps cleaning/re-gapping, but that was it.

With many larger bore modern lumps with a pair of plugs per cylinder, I reckon the probability of getting a spark is better. I definitely never changed plugs on those configurations.
The only time I replaced plugs was on my '76 Yamaha RD400 two-smoker. Sometimes I just got lazy.

All my other rides never saw plug changes. Yes, perhaps cleaning/re-gapping, but that was it.

With many larger bore modern lumps with a pair of plugs per cylinder, I reckon the probability of getting a spark is better. I definitely never changed plugs on those configurations.
Had 2 sets of spark plugs ordered a few days ago, and took the old ones out today. They look like Max's plugs. Given that the plug type for the CB1100 is a special one, and there aren't many CB1100 around, I figured it's good to have spares for such plugs which no other engines need. But when I look at my old spark plugs ... I guess I am now equipped for at least 150,000 miles on the CB1100.

Believe it or not...there are numerous different plugs available for our bikes other than the Honda part #.

I have a set of NGK 'performance' plugs sitting on my shelf...and once the weather warms I will set the rolling road in motion to see whats what...
GoldOxide_imp said:
The Gecko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Very sure my plugs would last 100K+ kms, and the reason I dont keep them that long in service is air cooled engine and higher chance of failure, which I don’t need during long distance rides,
:biker:
The only time I replaced plugs was on my '76 Yamaha RD400 two-smoker. Sometimes I just got lazy.

All my other rides never saw plug changes. Yes, perhaps cleaning/re-gapping, but that was it.

With many larger bore modern lumps with a pair of plugs per cylinder, I reckon the probability of getting a spark is better. I definitely never changed plugs on those configurations.
The only time I replaced plugs was on my '76 Yamaha RD400 two-smoker. Sometimes I just got lazy.

All my other rides never saw plug changes. Yes, perhaps cleaning/re-gapping, but that was it.

With many larger bore modern lumps with a pair of plugs per cylinder, I reckon the probability of getting a spark is better. I definitely never changed plugs on those configurations.
Had 2 sets of spark plugs ordered a few days ago, and took the old ones out today. They look like Max's plugs. Given that the plug type for the CB1100 is a special one, and there aren't many CB1100 around, I figured it's good to have spares for such plugs which no other engines need. But when I look at my old spark plugs ... I guess I am now equipped for at least 150,000 miles on the CB1100.
Because of good situations like this, devices like these can stay out of landfills, longer.

With practically every member of a household wanting a cage these days, and some households sheltering more than one family, the pressure is on the landfill more than ever.


The earth is mighty wide and deep...

As long as said fills don't leach toxic into water supplies or offgas into the air... no biggie.

I'd MUCH rather a landfill than end up in the sea or burned into our air.

....and a sparkplug is metal and porcelain.. so, why take this into politics?
 
Should have read this thread before buying sparkplugs! I think I'll hold off installing them. 14K on one bike, 11K or so on the other.
 
My 2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 had a "spark plug inspection" in the service schedule every 10,000 miles. This involved taking off a load of panels and the fuel tank, removing and inspecting them. There was no other reason to have any of those parts stripped, no other checks or air filters etc. All that work for a spark plug inspection.

I told the dealer not to carry out this work, I wasn't going to pay ther labour and it was plain stupid. It was a crazy service item specified by Triumph to generate billable service hours for the dealers. Lots of owners complained and did the same.

Miraculously when the current generation Tiger1200 was launched the service interval doubled and no mid life inspection was required! :shy:

But it's not all sweetness and light, my 1952 MG TD EATS spark plugs  :hilarious:
 
Back
Top