Spark Plug Replacement every 8,000mi

The ferret_imp said:
Honda did that to make the bike run as cool as a liquid cooled version. The hottest area was around the spark plugs in the cylinder head. There are actually oil passages which run around the spark plug seats inside the head, along with finned covers to direct cool air from above. The spark plugs are designed to not mess with these passages. They are long and narrow.

I reported on this back in Nov 2013

FYI: Honda Service Bulletin on CB 1100
This bike is just beautiful to the eye AND to the mind's eye. What you can see and what can't be seen. I love it !
 
My Bike started running progressively worse after the break in tune up, I had one spark plug come loose and tightened it up when I got home since the "tool kit" they provide doesn't have any tools. So I took it in last week to find out what was wrong and they replaced the spark plugs with 3600 miles on the bike. It runs like a new bike again, I would have never thought the plugs needed replacing on such a new bike which makes me wonder what caused the plugs needing replaced so soon.
 
TxPappy_imp said:
My Bike started running progressively worse after the break in tune up, I had one spark plug come loose and tightened it up when I got home since the "tool kit" they provide doesn't have any tools. So I took it in last week to find out what was wrong and they replaced the spark plugs with 3600 miles on the bike. It runs like a new bike again, I would have never thought the plugs needed replacing on such a new bike which makes me wonder what caused the plugs needing replaced so soon.
Defective parts more than likely.
 
I just checked and I have 25,574 miles on my plugs (also on the chain and air cleaner) and I checked mileage and it said 57.4 mpg from this weeks rides so I think my plugs are still good. I plan on replacing them this winter though.
 
I had a professional mechanic friend tell me the reason spark plugs last so long in modern cars is due the the extremely high voltage of the coils.

He said it is no longer like the old days when even with a pair of insulated "pliers" would you want to try and pull a plug wire off when running to see which cylinder was miss firing.

He said if fact he's not sure the plugs would ever "wear out" since there is no "gap" to adjust any longer.

Makes me wonder on the CB, has the coil voltage increase significantly on the 2013-14 version vs the older CB750's?
 
I will replace the plugs according to Honda service recommendations. Last summer my Dad's Saturn Vue (high mileage) started running horribly bad so he took it to his mechanic. The mechanic pulled the plugs and one of them had the tip of the plug missing. Apparently the plug tip caused a lot of damage so he found a junkyard engine for replacement. The plugs were not OEM so he's still confused on how Bosch plugs ended up in his Saturn.
 
I'm at 7997 miles (or thereabouts) and decided to change out my plugs. The CB was running fine but figured it wouldn't hurt to at least take a look. The inside plugs are tricky to get to. I just lifted the end of the tank a bit and propped it up with a roll of duct tape then used a box wrench on the spark plug socket to get in there.

Here you can see the old vs new plug:


All four were nice and crispy:
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/CB1100/EB6DCF48-66CC-4072-BA0A-0648828A7B9C.jpg.html]
 
That's what I did with mine. Unless there is electrode erosion (which takes big miles with modern plugs and metelergy). I usually leave them alone.
 
I traded my 98 Expedition 5.4L in 2010 with 170K miles... it had the original plugs and still got the exact same mpg as it did when new!! I had new oem double platinum plugs for it but never felt the need to torture myself to change them since it always ran great.
 
Sam Mac_imp said:
I would have cleaned, re-gapped them and put them back in.
I considered doing that and it would almost certainly have been fine. Instead, I've saved the old plugs and will have them as back ups in case they're ever needed.
 
Rolls_imp said:
My 2013 Service Manual and my 2013 US Owners manual both call out spark plug inspection every 4K miles and replacement every 8K miles. That's pretty frequent.

Could it be a double typo? I thought the Aussie Owners Manual I linked to online (2010?) called out inspections every 8K and replacement every 16K miles.

If you had an 8K service done on your bike, did they replace your plugs?
51,600 miles on my '13 CB1100 with original plugs. Just needed re-gapped for the first time at 50,000 miles.
 
Note of caution to any newb to the forum: search for other owners experiences before agreeing to maintenance appointments at your Honda dealership. Just got off the phone with the service desk that performed my valve inspection. They originally wanted to charge me $1100 Cdn for the service, then I asked to eliminate the oil change as I put synthetic and a new filter in 1,500 km ago, as well as a few other items. I agreed to have the spark plugs replaced and they told me they cost $50 each. I was shocked, what a rip-off. Next time I'm doing my own valve check and only checking and re-gapping my plugs as several members mentioned above. What a cash cow...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sounds a bit like my Nissan dealer who wants $79 to change an air filter. It's a $14 part and takes less than one minute to replace. But I suppose for folks who can't or won't do it themselves, that's the going rate. Good on them if they can get it.
 
run-tmc_imp said:
Note of caution to any newb to the forum: search for other owners experiences before agreeing to maintenance appointments at your Honda dealership. Just got off the phone with the service desk that performed my valve inspection. They originally wanted to charge me $1100 Cdn for the service, then I asked to eliminate the oil change as I put synthetic and a new filter in 1,500 km ago, as well as a few other items. I agreed to have the spark plugs replaced and they told me they cost $50 each. I was shocked, what a rip-off. Next time I'm doing my own valve check and only checking and re-gapping my plugs as several members mentioned above. What a cash cow...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bunch of us picked up the plugs from Jegs last year for $4.69 US each. The dealerships are banking on you not knowing where to find them.

Do a search online for NGK 6817. Those are the plugs. I found them now at my work for $5.99 ea US.
 
Back
Top