Spark Plug Replacement every 8,000mi

Rolls_imp

Been there
Thread starter
My 2013 Service Manual and my 2013 US Owners manual both call out spark plug inspection every 4K miles and replacement every 8K miles. That's pretty frequent.

Could it be a double typo? I thought the Aussie Owners Manual I linked to online (2010?) called out inspections every 8K and replacement every 16K miles.

If you had an 8K service done on your bike, did they replace your plugs?
 
Interesting. I suppose I should pull and check my plugs.
 
The Australian manual says inspect, clean and replace plugs if necessary at 8,000 miles or 12 months and replace at 16,000 miles or 24 months. The manual gives service intervals in miles as well as kms.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The Australian manual says inspect, clean and replace plugs if necessary at 8,000 miles or 12 months and replace at 16,000 miles or 24 months. The manual gives service intervals in miles as well as kms.
Do you know if they are standard plugs or platinum tipped? In the US they seem to be just standard NGK plugs, although pretty pricey due to the custom size.
 
sanoke_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The Australian manual says inspect, clean and replace plugs if necessary at 8,000 miles or 12 months and replace at 16,000 miles or 24 months. The manual gives service intervals in miles as well as kms.
Do you know if they are standard plugs or platinum tipped? In the US they seem to be just standard NGK plugs, although pretty pricey due to the custom size.
The long nosed standard resistor plugs on the CB1100 are ridiculously priced. When I first checked the prices I assumed that they were platinum or iridium because of the price. Nope.

As far as replacement goes, I don't generally follow the manual. I pull 'em, inspect and if they aren't worn out they get cleaned, gapped and go back in.
 
Thread starter
I'm with you guys... I just pulled 'em, inspected and cleaned 'em, and put 'em back in. They looked fine at 9500 mi. / 15,300 km. I'll follow the older European and Aussie Owners Manual recommendation of changing at 16,000 miles.

I did put a new set of plugs on the shelf in the garage, though. Best price I found was $17.62 each at CycleParts Nation. Shopping tip: Search on the Honda part no., not the NGK part no.
 
sanoke_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The Australian manual says inspect, clean and replace plugs if necessary at 8,000 miles or 12 months and replace at 16,000 miles or 24 months. The manual gives service intervals in miles as well as kms.
Do you know if they are standard plugs or platinum tipped? In the US they seem to be just standard NGK plugs, although pretty pricey due to the custom size.
Do you know if they are standard plugs or platinum tipped? In the US they seem to be just standard NGK plugs, although pretty pricey due to the custom size.
What I know about spark plugs could be written on the back of a postage stamp. The plug recommended in the manual is the NGK LMAR8A-9S. Does that help?
 
Flynrider_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Is there an Iridium plug option? I changed over to Iridium plugs on my Triumph first time they were due for inspection.
Not from NGK. Their website lists no other compatible options to the standard LMAR8A-9S.

http://ngk-sparkplugs.com/lmar8a9s-p-2844.html
Not from NGK. Their website lists no other compatible options to the standard LMAR8A-9S.

http://ngk-sparkplugs.com/lmar8a9s-p-2844.html
Thanks for the info.

I hope the standard plugs will last at least 20K miles with regular inspection and cleaning. Last car I had with standard plugs was a Jeep Liberty and I was able to get 40K from them before I switched to Platinum plugs.
 
Just my opinion

Honda calls for ridiculous early replacement on motorcycle plugs. Same type plugs (std NGK) in my ST were replaced at 25,000 miles (called for at 16,000) and looked new. Some on the ST forum have put over 50,000 miles on them. Same type plugs in my Honda Civic call for replacement at 110,000 miles.

These are fuel injected, and computer controlled. On a non modified bike they can't run lean, rich, or misfire. Every firing should be text book as the engineers designed it.

And while I'm harping, why of earth should a standard NGK plug cost $20 apiece?

I might replace mine at 25,000 miles if I feel it needs it. For some of us replacing every 8,000 miles could be twice a year.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer .... YMMV
 
The ferret_imp said:
Just my opinion

Honda calls for ridiculous early replacement on motorcycle plugs. Same type plugs (std NGK) in my ST were replaced at 25,000 miles (called for at 16,000) and looked new. Some on the ST forum have put over 50,000 miles on them. Same type plugs in my Honda Civic call for replacement at 110,000 miles.

These are fuel injected, and computer controlled. On a non modified bike they can't run lean, rich, or misfire. Every firing should be text book as the engineers designed it.

And while I'm harping, why of earth should a standard NGK plug cost $20 apiece?

I might replace mine at 25,000 miles if I feel it needs it. For some of us replacing every 8,000 miles could be twice a year.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer .... YMMV
I agree with your assessment. I think there is a bit of a revenue stream involved with some of the recommended maintanence. One of my other bikes is a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom. It's recommended to have the valves checked and the throttles synced every 8,000 miles. I've periodically checked the valves and in over 98,000 miles I've never had to adjust one yet. I've also ignored the throttle sync with no issues. I figure if I don't mess with the linkage, then they shouldn't get out of adjustment.

What it really boils down to is you just need to use a little common sense and do what needs to be done when you think it needs it.
 
My Valkyrie went 103,000 miles before I sold it with original plugs...always ran great. I expect the same from the CB1100.

I read somewhere that U.S. regulations require ignition systems on autos to run 100,000 miles before expected replacement: any truth to this? With motorcycles?
 
Haystack_imp said:
My Valkyrie went 103,000 miles before I sold it with original plugs...always ran great. I expect the same from the CB1100.

I read somewhere that U.S. regulations require ignition systems on autos to run 100,000 miles before expected replacement: any truth to this? With motorcycles?
i don't think there is any regulation mandating 100K mile plugs. Most auto manufacturers tend to use them because they can cram more stuff into the engine compartment without worrying too much about the plugs being easily accessible. Since they only have to come out every 100K miles it's not as much of a big deal if the procedure is a bit more difficult.

Motorcycles definitely don't have that requirement. The standard NGK plugs on our CB1100s are evidence of that.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Haystack_imp said:
My Valkyrie went 103,000 miles before I sold it with original plugs...always ran great. I expect the same from the CB1100.

I read somewhere that U.S. regulations require ignition systems on autos to run 100,000 miles before expected replacement: any truth to this? With motorcycles?
i don't think there is any regulation mandating 100K mile plugs. Most auto manufacturers tend to use them because they can cram more stuff into the engine compartment without worrying too much about the plugs being easily accessible. Since they only have to come out every 100K miles it's not as much of a big deal if the procedure is a bit more difficult.

Motorcycles definitely don't have that requirement. The standard NGK plugs on our CB1100s are evidence of that.
i don't think there is any regulation mandating 100K mile plugs. Most auto manufacturers tend to use them because they can cram more stuff into the engine compartment without worrying too much about the plugs being easily accessible. Since they only have to come out every 100K miles it's not as much of a big deal if the procedure is a bit more difficult.

Motorcycles definitely don't have that requirement. The standard NGK plugs on our CB1100s are evidence of that.
This is an interesting topic. I did quick search and it appears that spark plugs do fall within federal emissions warranties. But, not to 100k miles.
 
Does anyone know what the part number is for an Iridium replacement plug?
I figure if those standard plugs are so expensive, might as well pay a bit extra and get a long life plug.
 
I seem to remember in the video about the development of the bike that the motor was experiencing a hot spot around the spark plug area. I had assumed the solution to cool it down was the extra meat and fins where the plugs are. I'm guessing if one was to experiment, it would be wise to stick with plugs in the same heat range.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I seem to remember in the video about the development of the bike that the motor was experiencing a hot spot around the spark plug area. I had assumed the solution to cool it down was the extra meat and fins where the plugs are. I'm guessing if one was to experiment, it would be wise to stick with plugs in the same heat range.
Ah, that's a very good point. I had forgotten that the CB has 'spark plug seat cooling'. I've never heard of any other production bike that has this (?). Probably best to stick to the specs on the plugs...
 
Honda did that to make the bike run as cool as a liquid cooled version. The hottest area was around the spark plugs in the cylinder head. There are actually oil passages which run around the spark plug seats inside the head, along with finned covers to direct cool air from above. The spark plugs are designed to not mess with these passages. They are long and narrow.

I reported on this back in Nov 2013

FYI: Honda Service Bulletin on CB 1100
 
Back
Top