Spark Plug Question

AZrider_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Just curious. There is a little piece of plastic at the base of the spark plugs. Why? And, do they have to be removed to replace the spark plugs? Maybe such is just new to me.
 
AZrider_imp said:
Just curious. There is a little piece of plastic at the base of the spark plugs. Why? And, do they have to be removed to replace the spark plugs? Maybe such is just new to me.
You are talking about the gray plastic collar at the base of the black connector? That is part of the connector and comes off with it.
 
If you are talking about the finned pieces bolted to the head they are there to direct cooling air around the spark plugs for epa purposes.
 
Thread starter
I was talking about the piece bolted down. Does that have to be removed to remove the spark plug? Surely not. Just never seen such before. Just curious as I said.
 
I dont think they need to be removed when changing plugs, although I dont have a shop manual to verify that. Ive never seen anything like them before either, but I do know getting this air/ oil cooled bike to pass epa regs in Europe/U.S. posed some interesting issues for Honda which they overcame using several ingenious tricks.
 
AZrider_imp said:
I was talking about the piece bolted down. Does that have to be removed to remove the spark plug? Surely not. Just never seen such before. Just curious as I said.
The fins are not removed. The plug wrench fits inside those. It's a 14mm socket.
 
Back
Top