spark plug help, please !!

The Gecko_imp

Been there
Thread starter
With all the dirt everywhere around my engine I decided to look at the spark plugs at the very last. But today that was on my list.
When I pulled the spark plug caps off, I saw - right around the seats / gaskets of the inner sparks - lot's of little stones and debris. Because of the little cooling fins located around these spark plugs no vacuum hose can get close enough to get the stuff out.

What can I do ? what would you do ?
I don't dare to pull the plugs for fear that a hard piece of debris might fall into the cylinder.
 
Use an air compressor to blow out all the dirt , than loosen it a little and blow again to get the last dirt removed before you remove the spark plug . Do all of them before you get the plugs out so you will not blow dirt into the next plug hole !
 
What Houtman said. If necessary use a pick to loosen any stones that are stuck.
 
You can temporarily reduce the size of your vacuum hose with a smaller pipe inside it and some tape to seal it.
If you don't have a compressor compressed air can be bought in cans.
 
Thread starter
Mixagon_imp said:
You can temporarily reduce the size of your vacuum hose with a smaller pipe inside it and some tape to seal it.
If you don't have a compressor compressed air can be bought in cans.
Thank you all, and @Mixa, good idea, I didn't think about cans.
 
It wouldn't hurt to wear goggles when using that compressed air. It is real easy to get stuff in your eyes trying to look in there while you are blowing those tiny little critters out. You'll want those eyes working good when you get that bike back to it's original beauty.
 
An air compressor is what your looking for to clear any debris. If you don't have one, even a small HF compressor can be had for not a lot of cash.
I have an old HF 3 gallon pancake compressor I got back in the day for $40 that has been flawless. It actually sees more use than the large shop compressor.
 
DrewNJ_imp said:
An air compressor is what your looking for to clear any debris. If you don't have one, even a small HF compressor can be had for not a lot of cash.
I have an old HF 3 gallon pancake compressor I got back in the day for $40 that has been flawless. It actually sees more use than the large shop compressor.
(+1) Agreed.
 
Back
Top