South Western Wyoming with pictures

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The plan was to fish some smaller streams and holes I've spotted while driving through the areas previously. Most of these areas are along roads and this is why I bought the Honda in the first place. A bike than can get me and my gear to areas like this and when pressed can go down a well maintained or semi rutted forest road and save me a ton in the cost of gas doing it. I averaged close to 50 mpg on this trip with 345 miles. Left yesterday at 8 AM and got back. today around 3 pm. Fishing was poor which is what you would expect for trout on days were the temps go into the high 80's under a cloudless sky. Since I primarily fish dry flys on the surface and was too lazy to tie on nymphs or streamers I wasn't helping myself. At any rate...it was stellar riding and camping weather.

Top of Monte Cristo in the Wasatch Mountains of Northern Utah....Approx 9000 feet in altitude. Wasatch Crest in the distance

c19f3bf35bd2c1364091cbef83e06b03.jpg


Road I took into and out of Wyoming coming off the summit of Monte Cristo. This is looking east into Wyoming as I took the picture on the way back home. The aspect is deceiving because of the pano mode. The road is actually going downhill and off to the right you can see it twisting off into the canyon below

ae353cbc6dee7393eec4106450927902.jpg


Entrance to the canyon I camped in about 140 miles from my house. this is a spring feed creek and I fished it for about 25 minutes without any luck

7f26da202b84896907695f0e3cd4bc22.jpg


There were about 25 of these small waterfalls in a little over a mile

d624d824e87d4752169ef3159a9bce8d.jpg


About 5 miles up the road I set up camp.
60ee288ccf5fad621f07a0c36b223c9c.jpg


From there I rode to a private water I'm allowed to fish on

2b5d75a62cd29376e468e6dd5ce390bc.jpg


For 3 hours the bugs and heat oppressively chased me around the water. I came back to camp late in the evening as sun set and just then a breeze picked up through the aspens.

Got up today and rode back out to the main road where pavement starts. This was about 3 miles from where I camped

a18f3388c96341b7cf57c134f2b57fed.jpg


Before I went into town to get gas I rode down a small valley to check out access to the water. Unfortunately all of this pristine waterway was private with no public access.

ffe77441099dac5de3159e248bc8beeb.jpg


Stopped for a picture op with an old Deere

845c2c4cc98a54e01ca03762ebbb7b23.jpg


Once I topped off I ran north and west into Idaho to a town called Montepellier, famous for being the scene of a Butch Cassidy bank robbery. I followed the west shore of Bear lake south back into Utah....then around the southern tip of the lake (approx. 20 miles north to south) back into Wyoming and then ultimately back into Utah...over Monte Cristo... the following pictures follow that route.

44f7d29b2d5e01ab2e595cf631bed912.jpg


c4c48f37587a50b059b5fbee44561a73.jpg


cc6dd8abf5c13d231bdb38a5a012aa0e.jpg


b6c6f2edc3349c5c98bd6f75dac128e8.jpg


I'll post a few misc pic's later because it appears that the limit for one post is 15 pictures
 
Very cool pics. I'd say you need some tires like Ferrealls has on his bike if you are going to keep doing that.
 
Beautiful. I want to see that country for myself. Biking, fishing, camping. It doesn't get much better. The spring feed creek photo and the next two encapsulated the experience perfectly. Well done mate

Cheers
 
The ferret_imp said:
Very cool pics. I'd say you need some tires like Ferrealls has on his bike if you are going to keep doing that.
That's what I was thinking. How does the bike handle in the dirt and gravel?
 
Thread starter
Like riding donuts. Obviously not ideal and I'll be shopping for something with just a little more tread when these wear out. Bike did fine as long as I kept it under 30 and around 20 was prob ideal because I could avoid the ruts and potholes
 
Great write up and photos, Frulk. Bear lake looks magnificent, as does the rest of the countryside.
 
Beautiful looking trip and thank you for sharing. Looks like you have things packed really well too. Do you pack a camping stove and cookware on trips like this? I'm debating whether to try packing that in for an upcoming trip.
 
Thread starter
dr_rock_imp said:
Beautiful looking trip and thank you for sharing. Looks like you have things packed really well too. Do you pack a camping stove and cookware on trips like this? I'm debating whether to try packing that in for an upcoming trip.
I have 5 or 6 backpacking stoves. They all serve a different purpose. The one I used on this trip (since I was solo) was my lightest set up. An MSR (Mountain Safety Research) Pocket Rocket. 3.4 oz is the total weight I think and fits into the small red plastic container in the pic. The PR has received many awards and this one is about 10 years old...light, durable, and backed by a company whose exceptional customer service is well known. The Pocket Rocket has poor flame control however and is best used for the purpose of boiling water. The titanium pot (advertised as a solo pot/cup and holds the gas canister/matches) is big enough to boil water for the Mt House dinner and is used to heat water for hot cocoa (usually for the evening with some Jamison Irish whiskey mixed in) and coffee and instant oatmeal in the am. Since this pot cools quickly I use the double walled cup for the chocolate and coffee.

My complete cook kit for this trip

c6791fc87329bd85e117e2aaac386f57.jpg


This pic shows the stove assembled. The gas canister comes in two sizes...this being the smaller one (I did not remove the protective cover off the canister top for the pic so the pot sits a bit canted). All in all a very light and compact cook kit. One new canister should last an individual about 6-7 meals (3.5 days)

c434e9948a91baf7111795544f495120.jpg
 
Frulk, this is great information and your setup is perfect for some morning coffee and an evening cup of tea/hot toddy. Thank you for sharing.
One other question. If you land a nice trout, is it on the menu at dinner time?
 
Thread starter
DR...I fish barbless and I almost always release the fish. The exception being if I think they won't survive then I make the effort not to waste them. The only time I keep them to eat is during backpacking in the high country.
 
Wow! just some real great pictures, camping is not some thing I would do anymore.
Did a lot of that when I was growing up.
Camping now for me is if I can't get room service to bring me a extra dry martini.
 
Back
Top