Sound on the CB1100

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
The back story to this post is two-fold. First, I've been battling with dealing with wind noise at highway speeds; secondly, I wanted to be able to use the TomTom installed on my iPhone when in strange places where a SatNav is helpful without going to the trouble of buying a bluetooth helmet kit that I mostly wouldn't use.

Pterodactyl recommended I solve the problem with a set of Bose Noise Cancelling in-ear headphones which he assured me both let you listen to things while riding (never a priority) and also cancel noise without listening to anything. So I bought some. They're not cheap—AUD$350—but they're fantastic. Put them in, switch them on and the background noise vanishes. I've tried them listening to music and I'm a convert. When I tried once before with ordinary ear buds I had the volume right up and could hear nothing worth while. With these things you can listen at a bearable volume and hear really well. Amazing. They are way better than ear plugs.

Anyway, it left me with a wee problem as I have mounted the phone on the bars so I can see it if necessary and wanted to be able to run the cord back to the seat without it flogging on the tank while I was riding. I was also a bit worried about the battery/noise cancelling box which sits down near the jack. I'd prefer to ride with that inside my jacket.

Here's the solution. Primitive, I fear, beside some of the more sophisticated work done by skilled forum members, but it works.

First I bought a 4-pole extension cord from eBay. It needs to be 4-pole so the switch gear in the headphones what controls volume/track skip etc can work. Ironically, there's a glitch in the phone software which means it often has to be restarted for any remote control to work, but that's another story.

I ran the extension cord along under the tank and used a cable tie to attach it to the bars.



For those interested, the phone is in a LifeProof case for which you can buy a handlebar mount that clips on and off easily. Because the case is waterproof, it has a headphone connector that screws in and seals. That's what the end of my cable connects to.

[url=http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/Cormanus/20140522-Wiring/DSCN1824Small_zpse2166ef5.jpg]http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy160/Cormanus/20140522-Wiring/DSCN1824Small_zpse2166ef5.jpg


The other end of the cable hangs out the end of the seat behind the tank so I can plug the headphones into it.



When I'm not using it, I simply drop it into the tool container out of the way.



When the handlebar end is not in use I'm protecting it with a female plug that I bought for a couple of bucks.



There's a bit of mucking around there, but I'll probably only use it on longer rides and in strange places when I need the SatNav. In the meantime I may look out for a small portable bluetooth connector I can plug the headphones into so I don't need the wire at all.
 
I just did a similar thing last night. Installed a Ram Mount on my handlebar and ran a usb charger from the heated grip plug under the seat, through the tank up to the front of the frame. I'll post pics later.

I have some custom molded in-ear-monitors I use for work. Basically an Audiologist takes a mold of your ear canal then a a company (JH Audio in my case) makes it into ear bud. Works like an custom built earplug, so it cuts out a about 30db of noise, but also has sounds like an audiophile quality headphone. Works great on a stage and on the motorcycle.
 
Nice work there. I've used some Etymotic earbuds with good results. Not as expensive as your Bose, but way better than the average set. Anyway, the problem is they shift as I pull on my lid. It can take a few tries to get everything on and lined up.

Have you had any issues with that?
 
FUZE Custom Earphones

These are molded ear buds, there not great phones (decent sound )but the best seal i have found and the easiest getting on your helmet without movement. I have a set of ultimate ears which have great sound but the seal is not as good which make the earfuze a better choice. The do have a two part mix that you put in your ear for the mold. They last about a season, than the wiring usually breaks down.
 
Wonder if there is a Bluetooth ear bud noise canceling option so you don't have to worry about cords. I have been looking also but not that aggressively.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
There is a Bluetooth device that you can plug headphones into and make any headphone into Bluetooth.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
CIP57_imp said:
FUZE Custom Earphones

These are molded ear buds, there not great phones (decent sound )but the best seal i have found and the easiest getting on your helmet without movement. I have a set of ultimate ears which have great sound but the seal is not as good which make the earfuze a better choice. The do have a two part mix that you put in your ear for the mold. They last about a season, than the wiring usually breaks down.
I have, but more with ordinary earplugs. The Bose buds have a little bit of plastic at the top that sits into the ridges of your ear and that seems to help them stay in. I just make sure I push the top of my ear and the earphone fairly carefully under each side of the lid as I put it on.

Elipten_imp said:
There is a Bluetooth device that you can plug headphones into and make any headphone into Bluetooth.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd be interested in a link. The only ones I could find were quite large and I'm not sure they were battery operated.
 
Oh man up you fanny, it's a motorbike, not a poofs chariot! :D

Just ride it hard and look manly!

Edited to add: I shot a LOT with my Benelli shotgun last year with no ear protection. It made me suffer tinnitus in my right ear for months.

Wear ear protection when shooting semi auto firearms.

On a bike a helmet is fine.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Oh man up you fanny, it's a motorbike, not a poofs chariot! :D

Just ride it hard and look manly!

Edited to add: I shot a LOT with my Benelli shotgun last year with no ear protection. It made me suffer tinnitus in my right ear for months.

Wear ear protection when shooting semi auto firearms.

On a bike a helmet is fine.
WRONG! See (amongst others):

http://www.ridermagazine.com/motorcycle-gear-buyers-guides/hearing-protection-for-motorcyclists.htm/

http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm

Cheers
 
I haven't ridden with them yet, but I have been very happy with the Etymotic HF5 headphones. http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf5.html They came with a coupon to get molded earpieces for $100. I took them up on them and they are great at cutting out noise, and sound good too. I use them on planes all the time, and even slept with them in when I was in a noisy hotel in NYC.

Now, you still got the wired issue with them, but just as a thought for others. They do make a version with a mic as well, but it is a bit more expensive.
 
I wouldn't mind the Bluetooth devices for our helmets! If I could find them on the cheap... But not cheaply made...

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
I use the Sena SMH10R Bluetooth unit that I like very much, which retails at $165:

Bluetooth Communication for Motorcycle Helmets - Intercoms & Speakers - RevZilla

It's a great option if you're open to a non-noise canceling option. I use mine on a Scorpion EXO-1100 helmet, which is a pretty quiet mid-range helmet (designed for aerodynamics in the upright riding position, retractable tinted visor, pre-cut for speakers). The unit itself is low profile and works great. I'm able to listen to music at any speed without feeling like I'm working out my eardrums, sound quality is good for music and calls. There's a small mic that's stuck to the lower part of the front of my helmet, which in this helmet, sits about a 1/2" away from my mouth. People who I talk to on the phone are amazed when I tell them that I'm currently riding, because they can't hear the wind or the bike at all! It syncs with my iPhone better than my car's head unit (and my gf's fancy Audi ;) ). Highly recommended!

One of it's siblings, model SMH10, is rated just as highly but is supposedly easier to use on the bike via its rotational control vs 3 buttons on the R. The SMH10 is also a little bulkier and I wanted something discreet.

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Highly recommend your gf or the Audi? Or both?

Seriously the Sena unit is slick after watching the video! I know my symax helmet has one of those Bluetooth spots or places, wonder if that Sena unit has an option for helmets with the Bluetooth area or are you stuck with say using an hjc unit?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
dBuster_imp said:
Highly recommend your gf or the Audi? Or both?

Seriously the Sena unit is slick after watching the video! I know my symax helmet has one of those Bluetooth spots or places, wonder if that Sena unit has an option for helmets with the Bluetooth area or are you stuck with say using an hjc unit?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Ha! Both are expensive and high maintenance, so if you're a glutton for punishment... ;)

I think the HJC and Nolan helmets that are Bluetooth ready are designed for their specific model of BT unit. You could definitely still use it with the Sena, but the unit itself would just stick overtop of the factory BT plug. Should be able to take advantage of the helmets speaker cutouts, provided the speaker sizes are similar enough.

grover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Looks good Kev. I like the position of the USB outlet. I've got a handlebar mounted cigarette lighter plug one which I've wired direct to the battery
 
Thread starter
Tried this system on a recent ride and found it good and bad. The Bose NC earphones are wonderful. Noise is manageable and music can be heard clearly at reasonable sound levels. The GPS works too when required. Connecting to the wire was a bit of a pain. Every time I stood up to stretch or go over a nasty bump, or got off without thinking, I pulled the earphone plug out. It was also a pain to connect sitting on the bike with a helmet on.

I couldn't believe there wasn't a Bluetooth solution that didn't involve a helmet mounted intercom system—which I don't want because I want to keep using the NC headphones.

In a stop in Sydney on the way home from the ride I went to an electronics shop and found what I was looking for: a tiny, battery-powered Bluetooth TX/RX device which I can turn on, plug the headphones into and put in my pocket without having to connect myself to a wire on the bike.

I used it for 1,400 kms on the way home and it worked fine with one slight idiosyncrasy. If the GPS was on and I wasn't listening to music and was just using the headphones to keep the noise out, the first couple of words of the first spoken instruction were cut off. I assume the thing went into stand-by and took a moment to come back to life. It was not a problem and it was much, much better than having to plug in and plug out.

It looks like this one, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITECH-...udio_Tuners_Receivers&hash=item1c3ffb708f
 
This is a ton of work for what's accomplished though! How do you get the headphones in your ears with the helmet? Not a full-face?

I use the Scala Rider Q3 helmet system, it was about $250 (although technically I did buy the 2-pack for $400) and it does A2DP streaming beautifully, whether it be music or GPS instructions etc.

Installation consisted of clamping the unit's dock to the shell, velcroing the speakers to the liner and tucking the cables.

I do like the LifeProof/Ram mount combo though!
 
Back
Top