sorry California

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
My rain gauge from today

69f553ae2eee890975c87a35fa3974ac.jpg


although it's probably easier to ride a motorcycle in a drought than it is in 3" of rain in 1 day
 
Hey! We drive bad enough without putting something slippery on the roads.

So that's what a rain gauge looks like......
 
Thread starter
:rofl:

yea and it's still raining outside. A rare non-riding day for me.

I had one last month too.
 
Thread starter
We have localized flooding again! with the 5th wettest June on record at 8" plus (normal is about 4") and a good start on July.

I don't mind getting caught in rain, but I really dislike getting dressed and taking off in it. If it rains all night, is raining when I wake up, and weather bug says 50% chance or better for rain all day, I don't mind take a day off.
 
We've been having frequent rain in SE Georgia and very moderate summer temperatures, a big change from last year when it didn't rain for over a month and daily temps were 95-100+. The rains are keeping my dirt road hard packed and making riding out easy. Let it rain.
 
Thread starter
Ended getting out for a short ride after all. Quit raining by 4 PM. I waited until after dinner and took the quarter horse out for a spin on mostly drying roads with some damp patches, some wet patches, and some wet/gravely patches where rain had drained out on the road from uphill gravel driveways we have here in the country. Still it was a good ride and I stopped and got this pic of the new beast on one of my favorite little set of curves. There is a left and a right set of curves coming into this, and a left and a right set of curves going out the other end. This is the middle section.

b6dd86494b892e271d963dd27a0bf29c.jpg
 
Thread starter
It's funny, I thought about you and your CBR while riding tonight stichill. I've never been able to understand riding less than liter bike. Been riding liter bikes for 44 years, since I bought my KZ 1000 in 1977. Grown accustomed to the unlimited horsepower and bottomless torque. I thought about how you said you were going to keep your CBR forever.

The quarter horse , although not a 250, is starting to make me understand the viability of smaller bikes. (can a 750 really be called a smaller bike? Well put in perspective it actually can. At 58 hp and 51 ft lbs of torque it is quite small in performance compared to the 145 hp and 93 ft.lbs of torque motorcycle I traded in on it). Truthfully if it were a standard manual shift, I might still be a little skeptical. I had the CB500X in the garage for over a year and riding it, I found all the shifting tedious. But the DCT takes all the tediousness out of the picture. I can concentrate on perfect lines, and maintaining speed, rather than upshifting/downshifting, and being in the "right" gear all the time. The DCT does all that for me. I'm finding that enlightening.

I'm finding this new revelation intriguing... and confusing at the same time.lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ended getting out for a short ride after all. Quit raining by 4 PM. I waited until after dinner and took the quarter horse out for a spin on mostly drying roads with some damp patches, some wet patches, and some wet/gravely patches where rain had drained out on the road from uphill gravel driveways we have here in the country. Still it was a good ride and I stopped and got this pic of the new beast on one of my favorite little set of curves. There is a left and a right set of curves coming into this, and a left and a right set of curves going out the other end. This is the middle section.

b6dd86494b892e271d963dd27a0bf29c.jpg
How are you finding the instrumentation? Clear to read?

The 2018 model year had a black LCD with every colour of graphic under the rainbow (including pink). The colours were crazy configurable. Sounds like Honda got rid of the LCD colours. Probably a good thing.
 
Thread starter
it still had the flashy rainbow light bar that changed color with every gear change but there is a way to turn it off. Once that was done the gauges are pretty nice

with flashy rainbow bar

573efb9c5f6cd68d18780b8489fc0364.jpg


with flashy rainbow bar turned off

49eeadb07e8b8cd31f42b68d84090293.jpg


in the garage

fe2beb2bc6f6180b6163ec7979866a00.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
It's funny, I thought about you and your CBR while riding tonight stichill. I've never been able to understand riding less than liter bike. Been riding liter bikes for 44 years, since I bought my KZ 1000 in 1977. Grown accustomed to the unlimited horsepower and bottomless torque. I thought about how you said you were going to keep your CBR forever.

The quarter horse , although not a 250, is starting to make me understand the viability of smaller bikes. (can a 750 really be called a smaller bike? Well put in perspective it actually can. At 58 hp and 51 ft lbs of torque it is quite small in performance compared to the 145 hp and 93 ft.lbs of torque motorcycle I traded in on it). Truthfully if it were a standard manual shift, I might still be a little skeptical. I had the CB500X in the garage for over a year and riding it, I found all the shifting tedious. But the DCT takes all the tediousness out of the picture. I can concentrate on perfect lines, and maintaining speed, rather than upshifting/downshifting, and being in the "right" gear all the time. The DCT does all that for me. I'm finding that enlightening.

I'm finding this new revelation intriguing... and confusing at the same time.lol
I'm fascinated! I think I enjoy the shifting coupled with finding the perfect line, but I think for you shifting has not been an attraction so you gravitated toward torque and power to minimize the need to shift. You just might be an electric bike candidate at some point...

I do think that if you take away the instantaneous throttle response of a powerful bike, what you are left with is the motorcycle itself. Its true character is revealed in the absence of abundant torque. Can it carry decent speed into a curve with confidence, or is it a pig that needs to be hauled down with the brakes and punched back up to speed with its grunt motor?
 
The LCD layout looks organized 'n' clean Ferret.

Stichill: From my experience the NC can track confidently at speed through a curve, even with incline/decline when using Manual Mode and sometimes Sport Mode. For me Manual Mode gave full control of carving the curve. The auto modes - at least what I discovered on the NC - would decide when to shift and it was usually not welcomed. However, one can override that decision with the paddle shifters, but that means unshifting what the NC just completed, which is less than ideal. Manual Mode is sweeter for aggressive carving without relying on the brakes much.
 
Thread starter
I don't think anyone would race an NC750 DCT in std mode or sport mode for that matter, they would be in manual mode, but I'm not racing anybody, I'm just riding and my roads are not technical enough to need the aggressive shifting of sport mode. A steady 45-60 mph is 45-60 no matter what mode you are in. When riding I (it) is generally bouncing back and forth between 5th and 6th, with the occasional 4th for an uphill curve or downhill series of curves (sometimes initiated by me on the paddle shifter). Same as on my CB, my FJR or my ST for that matter, and at roughly the same rpms 2500-3500 rpms in std mode. In sport mode that jumps up to 4500 rpms but I'm still only running 45-60.

I could ride an electric bike no problem...well 2 problems, they cost too much and won't go far enough on a charge lol. I have test ridden one and not found it objectionable.
 
I was very sad riding across the west with the GPS showing a lake off to the side then seeing nothing but a dry lake bed.

Loved returning to the green landscape coming back hope....green means life....brown not so much ;-(

Made me think what a blessing rain is.....distilled purified water.

Had a worker in CA say CA feeds the rest of the US with it's crops....I thought maybe with fruits, vegetables....but watching all those fields of grain mile after mile....maybe not.

I did see tremendous amounts of water being used for irrigation in very hot dry conditions....made me wonder how efficient the use of that water was given the increase evaporation rates, etc.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
I was very sad riding across the west with the GPS showing a lake off to the side then seeing nothing but a dry lake bed.

Loved returning to the green landscape coming back hope....green means life....brown not so much ;-(

Made me think what a blessing rain is.....distilled purified water.

Had a worker in CA say CA feeds the rest of the US with it's crops....I thought maybe with fruits, vegetables....but watching all those fields of grain mile after mile....maybe not.

I did see tremendous amounts of water being used for irrigation in very hot dry conditions....made me wonder how efficient the use of that water was given the increase evaporation rates, etc.
If you ride out into it, the mud up to your axels will reveal pretty quickly that it is in fact a lake!


offroadfx4_imp said:
I was very sad riding across the west with the GPS showing a lake off to the side then seeing nothing but a dry lake bed.

Loved returning to the green landscape coming back hope....green means life....brown not so much ;-(

Made me think what a blessing rain is.....distilled purified water.

Had a worker in CA say CA feeds the rest of the US with it's crops....I thought maybe with fruits, vegetables....but watching all those fields of grain mile after mile....maybe not.

I did see tremendous amounts of water being used for irrigation in very hot dry conditions....made me wonder how efficient the use of that water was given the increase evaporation rates, etc.
A friend of mine from New Hampshire calls the Southwest "a giant litterbox". :P

offroadfx4_imp said:
I was very sad riding across the west with the GPS showing a lake off to the side then seeing nothing but a dry lake bed.

Loved returning to the green landscape coming back hope....green means life....brown not so much ;-(

Made me think what a blessing rain is.....distilled purified water.

Had a worker in CA say CA feeds the rest of the US with it's crops....I thought maybe with fruits, vegetables....but watching all those fields of grain mile after mile....maybe not.

I did see tremendous amounts of water being used for irrigation in very hot dry conditions....made me wonder how efficient the use of that water was given the increase evaporation rates, etc.
It's corn that feeds the US. The livestock eat it, and the food companies make everything out of it.
 
"It's corn that feeds the US. The livestock eat it, and the food companies make everything out of it."

Livestock eat hay and grass and leaves and corncobs and whatever they have in front of them, mainly stuff we don't directly ingest. The scary thing is that food companies are using high fructose corn syrup in everything, and I mean everything. Obesity and diabetes are not good byproducts.
 
Back
Top