sore thumb joint makes for painful riding

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
A few months ago I started experiencing pain or soreness in the base of my thumb. It really makes gripping/operating the throttle difficult and painful. According to google it would appear I have developed osteoarthritis in the basal joint of the thumb.

For my daily rides I have been smearing it with Capzasin-P arthritis cream, which so far has had minimal effect. For today's ride I added a couple extra strength tylenol., and managed to get in an 84 mile ride without too much discomfort. I'm afraid this is going to put a real damper on my long distance riding, of which I had several long trips planned this year...to the Dakotas, to the East Coast and to the Rally in W Va, plus other possible trips.

I have an appointment with my family doctor on April 4 to discuss the situation, and have a good ortho doc if I need one.

Anyone else experience this sore thumb joint/base? Have it diagnosed? What was the outcome? Were you able to continue riding without much disruption?
 
Well, that's a pain in the thumb....and you-know-where!
Let's hope modern medicine can come up with some relief. You're too young for this sort of crap!
As for this 81 year-old, not an ache or a pain. I can ride all day and it doesn't bother me a bit - but that's of no help to you.
Best of luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
No digit pains yet, however, I do opt to use my throttle relief gadget. This relieves the wrist and may indirectly relieve the thumb?
 
I broke my right thumb at the the bottom, at the wrist, in my 20s (went down on a Yami 650). It has some arthritis Pain cames and goes. On the ST, for long hauls, I added a MCCRUISE control. That pretty much does it for me. Other than that I just live with it. If it gets bad, hopefully a doc can do something. I did turn down cortisone shots some years back.

I’m guessing your FJR already has cruise control though.
 
Thread starter
Rocky you are indeed blessed. Most of us are not lol. I'm just trying to make my goal of riding until I am 70. 1 year and approx 50 days to go lol.

Yes the FJR has cruise but not the CB. I think I have one of those throttle pads you wrap around the grip amd work the throttle with the outside of your palm upstairs in a drawer. may see if that helps.
 
Ferret, on the CB I have one of those throttle pads or cramp buster, or whatever and a BrakeAway throttle lock installed. I have a throttle pad thing on my ST too.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Well, that's a pain in the thumb....and you-know-where!
Let's hope modern medicine can come up with some relief. You're too young for this sort of crap!
As for this 81 year-old, not an ache or a pain. I can ride all day and it doesn't bother me a bit - but that's of no help to you.
Best of luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You are truly blessed Rocky. I'm 10 years your junior and arthritis pain will put an end to my riding well before your age. Aleve and a prayer 'till that time.
 
I just had this image of The Ferret taking post-ride bong hits to help with his thumb pain. :rofl: I'm still laughing. My staff thinks I'm having a seizure or something.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
No digit pains yet, however, I do opt to use my throttle relief gadget. This relieves the wrist and may indirectly relieve the thumb?
I use this on the CB throttle:



It works well, maintains throttle position and to override you just turn the throttle down or up. It removes in about one second it you wish to stow it away.

"Go Cruise" (available everywhere)
 
Thanks for the post, G.O. Kind of interesting in light of my post, since it looks a little like a roach clip. :rofl: Man, I'm still laughing.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Thanks for the post, G.O. Kind of interesting in light of my post, since it looks a little like a roach clip. :rofl: Man, I'm still laughing.
Lol. Didn't occur to me, but yeah. :)

For users, heh, um, this device allows the rider to completely remove the hand from the throttle, if they wish to stretch the hand muscles, scratch, etc.
 
Thread starter
wow MTC been 50 years since I tried medicating that way. Didn't enjoy it then, probably wouldn't enjoy it now either, except now it's available in gummies and I like gummies. My vitamins are gummies lol.
 
Definitely install a cramp buster, then use the outside heel of your hand to rest the thumb and to alleviate the buzzes on your throttle hand.
 
My sympathies, Ferret. I also have arthritis in the base of my right thumb. And in a couple of finger joints too. It's awful and I haven't found anything I can do about it. Somedays I can't even comfortably hold a pen to write my forum posts. Luckily, it only occasionally affects my riding.
 
Thread starter
Geez Cormanus I had no idea you were hurting.

Yea a couple of knuckles hurt too, but the thumb hurts more especially while trying to grip the bars.
 
Any luck with research using cannabis-based creams? I know some of the folks around here have been trying it as an alternative to hard pharma. Testing the air, I'd say about 50% of folks say it has a positive effect on them. Of course, even if it did "help", it wouldn't reverse the issue (I don't think?).
 
You guys take care of your health, bad doctor can ruin it. Not every doctor is equel and not every one is good.
Good luck to you all, stay healthy, be active ABAP, it does help.
 
I had a thumb issue last year, which turned out to be a strained/bruised tendon. I think it was from some overenthusiastic wrenching. Doc said to keep from making movements that aggravate it, and it would eventually take care of itself. Fortunately for me, it was on my left thumb. The most pain was when I used my thumb to activate/cancel the turn signals, so I just modified the hand movement so I wouldn't have to stretch the thumb so far. It took almost a year to completely go away.

Since yours is on your throttle hand, I think one of those cramp busters (where you use the palm of your hand) would probably work best. It'll keep you from having to wrap your thumb all the way around the throttle.

Good luck!
 
Back
Top