somethings never change

gossman_imp

Been there
Thread starter
[attachment=1986]

1973 my first Honda, 1963 C110 Sport Cub. Now my 2nd red Honda 41 years later. No helmet laws then, how did I ever survive? The push rod motor of that old bike had a top speed of 50mph, lousy tires and all. I rescued that motorcycle from under a pile of hay in a barn, owner didn't know if it ran so he gave it to me. A little oil, gas, a clean spark, and a couple of tire tubes and I got that little bike running. Having owned several dozen of motorcycles since then, that C110 still makes me smile.
 
Nice one, Gossman.

 
Great picture!

My best friend bought one in 1964. First Honda I ever rode. The thing was indestructible, I know we tried. I wanted one badly but my dad being a WW2 vet wouldn't co-sign on anything Japanese so I ended up with a Harley Davidson M50 (rebadged Aermacchi made in Italy) . Guess he forgot the Italians were in the alliance with Germany and Japan during WW2.

i've made up for it and bought lots of Hondas since.
 
Reminds me of my first bike. It was a white 1968 Honda "65". My Dad bought it for me and rode it home from the dealer.
 
Thread starter
I remember walking to the tire store 2 miles away to buy a rear tire for it, I ran the old one to the cords and it was very weather checked. Paid the princely sum of $14, quite a lot for a kid who worked the winter months for $1.25 an hour 6 hours a week. Most of my money came in the form of summer work i.e. haying, christmas trees, farm labor. I am not sure that I ever really spent much time washing the bike, I ran it everywhere I could, street, woods, fields, gas was .25 cents a gallon and that little engine was pretty economical. Those boots were a necessity since I couldn't afford to get my tennis shoes dirty. Kids are missing out today IMO, I learned a lot about engines and mechanicals with that bike. My dad wasn't a guy who worked on stuff and was gone a lot anyway so I taught myself to do the work, right down to replacing tires and installing tubes. I even flipped the silly thing upside down and aligned the spokes, not different than the bicycles that I scrounged then. That farmer that let me dig it out of the barn ( I did feed his animals for a week later when they were out of town as a favor for the bike) did a lot for me by giving me that bike. And it's interesting that the police never really made it to big a deal with me as an underaged 14 year old running around town on a bike that wasn't licensed.



Me today and my new to me red Honda, I am really enjoying this bike, almost too much!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
You've changed lol
2 inches taller, twice the weight, and gray hair. Two weeks ago I did shave off my full beard and cut off a foot of hair from the head, people were shocked to see me without a ponytail and beard. I told them it was a mid life crises ( I was actually tired of the Duck Dynasty remarks.....I have had my beard and hair much longer than those guys).
 
gossman_imp said:
I remember walking to the tire store 2 miles away to buy a rear tire for it, I ran the old one to the cords and it was very weather checked. Paid the princely sum of $14, quite a lot for a kid who worked the winter months for $1.25 an hour 6 hours a week. Most of my money came in the form of summer work i.e. haying, christmas trees, farm labor. I am not sure that I ever really spent much time washing the bike, I ran it everywhere I could, street, woods, fields, gas was .25 cents a gallon and that little engine was pretty economical. Those boots were a necessity since I couldn't afford to get my tennis shoes dirty. Kids are missing out today IMO, I learned a lot about engines and mechanicals with that bike. My dad wasn't a guy who worked on stuff and was gone a lot anyway so I taught myself to do the work, right down to replacing tires and installing tubes. I even flipped the silly thing upside down and aligned the spokes, not different than the bicycles that I scrounged then. That farmer that let me dig it out of the barn ( I did feed his animals for a week later when they were out of town as a favor for the bike) did a lot for me by giving me that bike. And it's interesting that the police never really made it to big a deal with me as an underaged 14 year old running around town on a bike that wasn't licensed.



Me today and my new to me red Honda, I am really enjoying this bike, almost too much!
Walking? Boots? Tennis shoes? LUXURY! As kids in the '40s and '50s we were so poor we didn't have any feet. We had to crawl to school, shooting kangaroos on the way, skinning them in the afternoon as we dragged ourselves home, so that we could sell the skins for pocket money. If we had pockets that is.

Cheers, and love the bike and the hair. The 70s crop that is. :)
 
gossman_imp said:
[attachment=1986]

1973 my first Honda, 1963 C110 Sport Cub. Now my 2nd red Honda 41 years later. No helmet laws then, how did I ever survive? The push rod motor of that old bike had a top speed of 50mph, lousy tires and all. I rescued that motorcycle from under a pile of hay in a barn, owner didn't know if it ran so he gave it to me. A little oil, gas, a clean spark, and a couple of tire tubes and I got that little bike running. Having owned several dozen of motorcycles since then, that C110 still makes me smile.
Great story and picture!
 
Back
Top