Some interesting and disturbing figures

LongRanger_imp said:
There's no helmet law in my state, which I'm fine with. It's common to see stereotypical "lifestyle bikers" cruise past without a helmet (or any other gear for that matter), but I'm always astounded when a helmetless guy flies by on a Goldwing or BMW. Certainly, these guys should know better, shouldn't they?
:rofl:
 
As others have said, it's demographics as far as the number of fatalities vs. age group.

I attempted to follow the "under 29" cohort from 1978 and project them forward every decade.

aadf92b941b5b002316d5d043058a6ca.jpg
 
Hmmm, don't like that 50+ age group trend.

* Could it be because we still "think" we are 30 and can handle the bike like in our youth?
* Or, many buy large bore, high torque Lazy Boy models and fail to react (and clearly see with aging eyes) to situations that need nimble responses?
* We are retired people who ride, simply pile on the mileage thus increasing the probability of an incident?

However, the statistic is death. It would be interesting what the stat looks like for just injured?
 
Great set of stats. I like it. Thanks for posting.

I think the groupings of engine displacement are not well thought out. Maybe <500, 500-999, 1000-1400, >1400 would tell a more complete story; 0-1000 cc just lumps together too many interesting factors. Also, grouping standards and cruisers together sort of offends my sensibilities ;).
 
Speaking to other riders, there is those 50+ who continue to demand the Gold Wing. Certainly there is familiarity, ego, and the option to choose the convenience of a Dual Clutch Transmission. You have others choose HDs, and still others using reliable sport touring models.

But I have noticed some now considering 750 cc and under as their way out of riding. Many have been eye'ing 500 cc. I find this somewhat "new", but understandable if the 50+ demographic does not want to give up riding totally, but to size down appropriately.
 
Another statistic that boggles the mind....about 7000 people die in the U.S.every day.

I just try to block most of it out, but I do find my motorcycle prevention strategies carrying over to my cager habits....drives my wife crazy ;-)
 
Ha! She should be grateful.

My first license was for car. My first vehicle was, reluctantly at the time, a used motorcycle (due to extreme budget constraints). I thought, what the heck have I got myself into? (all my friends were driving mommy/daddy's car). I thought, ugh, gotta get from point A to point B. However, I took it seriously and did riding school and adopted all the good habits right into my automobile driving habits. No regrets. All my passengers, both bike and car, no regrets.

Feel good. Be safe. Be happy!
 
As a guy who started riding at 49 and is now 56, I'm probably not representative of most riders my age. Most riders my age have probably been riding since they were younger or returned to riding later in life.

As a new rider, I approached the challenge of learning to ride very comprehensively. For me it was less about the acquisition of mechanical riding skills than it was about understanding safe road strategy. I was fortunate to be mentored by some very competent and safe lifelong riders where I work who take safe riding very seriously. I read numerous books and resources about safe riding and riding proficiency and watched hours of DVD and YouTube safe riding videos before I even thought about enrolling in an MSF course. I did not even purchase a motorcycle until after I'd successfully completed the MSF course.

So, while an advantage to starting young might be better eyesight and quicker reflexes, an advantage of starting older might be a more studied, methodical approach to the craft of riding. I'm not sure that that advantage necessarily follows a guy who started young without every really learning about motorcycle dynamics or safe road strategy, but has nevertheless accumulated substantial miles and years of riding experience on the road in the ensuing decades. I think it might be these riders who encounter elevated risk as they age: the advantages of youth are gone but they never really acquired fundamental safe riding techniques and strategies. As an anecdotal example, when I was in my first month of riding a lifelong rider knowingly cautioned me: "Only use your rear brake. If you use the front brake, it's very likely to cause you to wreck."

I'm now entering my seventh year of riding and I'm confident that I'm riding at lower-than-average risk by avoiding / eliminating the known risk factors. I do have proper training, I am familiar with how to operate my motorcycle, I do avoid riding at night, I do not drink and ride, I do understand how to safely negotiate a curve, and I do practice emergency braking.

All that being said, I can tell that age does work against a rider. Reactions are not lightning-quick. Eyesight is not optimal. Attention lapses occasionally. Securing the chin strap is sometimes forgotten. Fatigue sets in earlier.

Regarding bike size/weight vs. age, I think this has more relevance in terms of low-speed handling and maneuvering. There are a lot of guys on the F800riders.org forum who are well past 70 and have down-sized to the 800cc bikes from the larger 1200cc models to feel more confident moving the bike around in the garage and managing it at low speeds or at stoplights.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
There's no helmet law in my state, which I'm fine with. It's common to see stereotypical "lifestyle bikers" cruise past without a helmet (or any other gear for that matter), but I'm always astounded when a helmetless guy flies by on a Goldwing or BMW. Certainly, these guys should know better, shouldn't they?
Tons of no helmet riders in Arkansas (it’s legal here) on ALL makes and models FWIW. Stupid comes in many shapes and sizes.
 
Quote:Tons of no helmet riders in Arkansas (it’s legal here) on ALL makes and models FWIW. Stupid comes in many shapes and sizes.
That is alotta pumpkin seeds.
 
As we age the chances of having a "medical event" which leads to a crash and death increases. We see it from time to time in Arizona due to the large number of retired people. So it makes me wonder how many of those deaths are related to medical events vs. your typical causes of crashes (left hand turns etc.)
 
Utah has no helmet law. Overwhelmingly the MoCo Company adherents ride without them. Up next are the sport/bullet bikers and I'd say about 50% of those wear them. I can't remember anyone on an ADV bike not wearing a helmet. Kinda required to complete the image me thinks.
 
I've told this story before, but the image I cannot get out of my head ...

Georgia, leaving Atlanta for the evening and headed north. Dude on a HD slowly slides up in the lane next to me. Heard him coming a minute ago. We are doing about 60 mph. I let him parallel me 'cause I want to check out his machine (a bike is a bike). No helmet. Okay, me thinkin', it is what it is. But what killed me was: No eye protection, not even sunglasses, no hearing protection. Tears were pouring out of his corners (likely from the wind blast). I have to say, it actually did not look cool.

So, big shelly bugs hit my helmet shield all the time. What happens when dude gets hit? Will he remain "cool"? Will he hit the soft shoulder and slam into the ditch or tree? Will he take out a sedan with a family in it?

Dude is be deaf and blind in no time, if not already. What good is that for riding?
 
I agree, I always have eye protection. Even if the visor is only cracked, I've had bugs find there way in there....So I wear glasses under my helmet shield at all times.
 
Back
Top