Some French Alps high passes

Delphisa

Running like a top
Thread starter
Beginning of this month I made a very nice two days ride, across French Alps. The goal was to climb the highest road in France, around "Cime de la Bonette": 2802 meters height. As far as I know, there is only one higher asphalt road in Alps Mountains, the Ötztal Glacier Road (2829 meters), in Austria - too far away from my home!

Started early in the morning from Grenoble area. First noticeable spot for photography : La Grave, under La Meije rocks and glaciers.
4792d05f40dd0671e8c7811ee036d190.JPG


Then we climbed a first high pass, Le Lautaret (2058 m). Nice place, but we didn't stop, as we had been there previous week! Our next pause was a little bit downer in the valley toward Briançon : Le Casset, nice small village besides Guisane River:
b6e209980f71458da2607902ff5b869c.JPG


We spent some time in Briancon city, impressive citadel built beginning of 18th century with Vauban advise. I have no valuable picture of this town, that's a place worth to visit but it was too much crowdy this day, with the yearly medieval festival!
Actually the better part of our first day ride was just after Briancon : Izoard pass road is just beautiful. First, a typical high village not far from Briancon: Cerviere
59e99c00c972b044de1ff8172c1df447.JPG


Arriving at higher point of Izoard pass : a strong column set there in 1934, reminding "la Route des Alpes" was a military project, before becoming a touristic and sporting road...
188a1446a0b85b60b0cf1f3c605212bb.JPG


One kilometer south of Izoard pass, we arrive in the "Casse Deserte", a famous place for the cycling Tour de France legends...
5b99009d6aba6e1a0f9ec928bb3f8391.JPG


Here is a memorial to cyclists Louison Bobbet and Fausto Coppi, both crossed Izoard pass ahead of the race, the Italian Fausto Coppi twice in 1949 and 1951, and French Louison Bobet in 1951, 1953 and 1954:
728d1c381286950a3d97ebc018cd8044.JPG


South of the Casse Deserte, view toward Izoard pass
dcbadaace0ac68c05a986587b87088f3.JPG


Next high pass of our first day, Vars pass, not so mineral as Izoard pass, being lower (2109 m)
f3936d185a99ee06eb800e3c4a98f75f.JPG


And we arrive at our rest house : we rent a room in the "Chateau des Magnans", Jausiers. It is one of the "Mexican villas" of the Ubaye valley, built by emigrants from Jausiers and Barcelonnette who made their fortunes in Mexico in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, then came back in the area. The Magnans Castle, built between 1903 and 1913, has a Gothic architecture of fantasy, inspired by that of the Neuschwanstein Castle, built in Bavaria by Louis II.
7e21e41e4bb540e66d2c1dcfd6ab9983.JPG


The second day, we just had to take the road heading to La Bonette, 25 km from Jausiers... We were not alone, all along the morning we were surrounded by various motorcycles, many of them joining Nice, departure of the rallye "Transalpes AMV Legende" (Transalpes AMV Légende). I didn't met any CB1100, although it was possible, as it enters the "replicas" category of this event. I saw a few CB750, Triumph, Norton Commando, etc.... Funny as the smell of ancient bikes can help identify if you ride behind a real old bike, or a replica! I was surprised also to see a so large number of Royal Enfield (500 cc single, made in India).
fda17ebf8600b4e1d2e7ae9a8b11e2fd.JPG


From the top of the road, it is worth walking 10 or 15 minutes for accessing the "Cime de la Bonette", as long as clouds are not too much present yet. 2862 meters, that's 60 m above the road.
c9f442d1fd50537ee65f3220956a6aad.JPG


So here is the highest point reached by the bike:
920ba81cad3031550b852bd87bd086b3.JPG


We returned back home by south of Massif des Ecrins (Barcelonnette, Serre-Ponçon lake, Gap, La Croix-Haute pass). This makes a great loop and a nice ride, but clearly the higher roads, north of Ecrins, are more interesting for moderate speed touring. We'll come back there in a short while!

Some more pictures in this album, with map: NIKON IMAGE SPACE
 
Lovely photos! I had an opportunity to ride from Nice to Munich along some of those same roads about twenty years ago. Very scenic! My favorite pass was Col du Galibier. We also rode Col du Isere which was very pretty. I still have the photo on my desk, astride a R1150GS.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Lovely photos! I had an opportunity to ride from Nice to Munich along some of those same roads about twenty years ago. Very scenic! My favorite pass was Col du Galibier. We also rode Col du Isere which was very pretty. I still have the photo on my desk, astride a R1150GS.
Yes, Col du Galibier is a fantastic road ! I reported a ride there, 3 years ago :http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3723

I like also Col de l'Iseran (Bonneval to Val d'Isere), it is very famous. I travelled there by car, with my children, several years ago. I plan to pass it again sooner or later, with the CB1100!
 
Good night that's some beautiful scenery..foreground AND background.
 
Very nice , I would for sure own a light weight but powerful duel sport along with my CB if i lived there.
thanks for sharing such a beautiful area
 
Enjoyed the photos!
 
As always, stunning photos and a great report, Delphisa.
 
Back
Top