Sold my last CB 1100

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Last year I sold my 2013 and 2014 CB 1100 and today my 2014 DLX was sold to another Forum member.
There was only one reason I stopped riding bikes and that is that I was no longer willing to accept the dangers from inattentive/ distracted car drivers.
I first thought of stopping at 75 but now at nearly 72 and riding bikes since I was 18 I gave it up for good.
Of course I will miss it but I do not look into life's rear view mirror as I am not going in that direction.
Three weeks ago I ordered a new MINI Country Man Coopers 4 All in British Racing Green with all the options available , waiting time about 5 months !
With my wife not driving on the Interstates and with family and friends living far away I thought that it is my responsibility to be there for her.
The plan is to stay connected with all the great people on the Forum but probably not as often as before.
Thank All of you for the help in making the CB 1100 the best bikes I ever owned.
 
Always interesting what goes on with your bikes and your experienced view on things motorcycling John.
We all sail our own race to the best of our capability, i have been pleasantly surprised at how i don't get bored with riding the same roads over and over again in most seasons and still enjoy the riding but i also know there comes a time at which it no longer makes sense for one reason or another, in the mean time i still smile at the countryside flowing past.
Understand your reasons and wish you all the best with the new wheels, good idea.
 
Given your concerns about the crazies in your streets and roads, this is probably the best decision. It's a shame, but the time had come and I think you knew that - as a wise man should.
Lots of good health and happiness - and don't be a stranger here.
 
I also wish you happiness, good health and nothing but pleasure in the next adventures in your life.

Having just gotten in from my 67th ride of the year, I dread the day when I have to look out the window, knowing there will be no more rides.
 
Indeed Enjoy that new Mini! Certainly much obstacles to catch even the safest operator off guard! Risk vrs Reward! Happy 4 wheeling!

2013 Cb 1100 "
 
Houtman - It has been a sincere pleasure sharing the Forum space with you. All the tears of laughter and pain to all that is CB1100. I am happy you are leaving riding for reasons of choice, versus the alternative. Enjoy the cage, but selfish cagers are still a threat no matter if one is on two or more wheels. Come back to the Forum often. Ensure to share images of your Honda Monkey when you get it. :D
 
John, I am sorry to hear that you will be left without the CB1100, but I'm sure that now riding your Mini, you can spend more time watching pretty girls ....... :)
I've always liked your posts and comments, including the humorous ones.
I am not saying goodbye to you because as an important member of this good forum you have a responsibility to share your driving observations with us.
Good luck, lots of fun and healthy days forever!
:beerchug:
 
John, we never shared much back and forth interaction but I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts and your outlook on life in general. Enjoy that new Mini, stay safe and healthy! :beerchug:
 
I’m sorry that decision came earlier than planned, Houtman, but riding is not for the faint hearted or for those for whom concern about the risk has become too great. I hope the Mini does the honorable thing and arrives early and that it is a source of great pleasure to you.

Best wishes. Don’t be a stranger to the forum.
 
Houtman, my story is a lot like yours. Wife didn’t feel safe driving so she quit last year. I have not even been out of the state for 4 years on the bike. Mostly running errands and such. Traffic is getting worse here also. Sold the CB500X at the beginning of last summer and the CB1100 at the end. I went a little different route on the new car. I got a new Ford F-150 4X4 to replace the 28 year old Dodge diesel. What a difference these new trucks are. The wife loves ridding in it to. Have had a motorcycle since I was 21, made it to 77 but not ridding much the last few years. Time for me to give it up. It hasn’t been bad, lots of good memories.

Mike
 
Although I'm a recent forum member (a recent CB1100 owner too), I sometimes consider the same issue. I am north of 70, and have had bikes since I was a teenager. Never had an accident or incident, and sometimes wonder if my good fortune may change some time. I'm very happy going about 40 mph, drive responsibly, and only take short rides. Guess that's how I convince myself to keep riding.
Best to you.
 
I have not been on this forum long (or a CB1100 owner for that matter) but I have seen many of your contributions to the forum community and I thank you for that. The good news is my mother drove her Mini Cooper Automatic until she was 88, enjoy the new wheels!
 
Thread starter
Thank all of you for the kind words , life is not over when you sell your last bike , just a new beginning with something else to enjoy.
The best memories of me and my bikes was riding my Ducati 450 single in the beautiful South East Country roads of England in the seventies and early eighties .
The many GREAT rallies we had in the North East of the USA with the CBX Club are other never to forget memories , they were the nicest people you ever met riding a Honda .
 
Sorry to see you go Mr. Houtman. Don't be a stranger though. Let us see that new car!!
 
I am sorry to see you go, but I very much understand your decision. I hope that your new Mini will give you just as many smiles on your face as your CB1100 once did!
 
Brother Houtman, alas I will be following you down the path you have chosen shortly. Still have good eyesight, reflexes and common- sense ( notice common- sense is no longer very common?). However the crazies in the cars, and oversized pick-ups and suv's will no longer have me as a target. Plus at 73 the body is not fully co-operating. I'm meeting with a fellow forum member Saturday who's interested in my 2013. Wish you well with the Mini. Watch out, the car is a babe magnet!
 
Thread starter
LouA , I will let you know if my new MINI is a babe magnet ! I need all the help I can get in that department .
 
Hi John, I know for sure, the buyers of your CBs are lucky men, so good maintenanced bikes!
I wish you heartly enjoying as well your next level.

Cheers! :beerchug:
 
Back
Top