SO THERES A GUY WITH a '83 V45 and an '85 V45...

0011bc_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Both in decent original condition, around 30k miles but he is asking way too much i think...4500 for the 83 which is pretty clean, dent in tank, minor cosmetics - bubbling on the crank case - could be buffed...and 1000 for the 85 with no title (would cost about 700 to get a bonded title)

Any ideas on how to bring him back to reality without being insulting??

Kelley says 1700 for excellent on the 83, Nada Says 3700 for excellent....

Im going to ride my CB back over there today and maybe it will let down his guard that I am a true Honda enthusiast. I'll get pics later.
 
Cash always talks in these situations. Bring a wad in one pocket and few extra bills in the other. I'm sure he'll come to his senses!
 
Thread starter
well he runs an auto garage and we already talked that he could take my CheckCard Chip & Pin. (i dont carry any cash)...So i dont think I'll have a physical knot. WOuld it be a dick move to show him the NADA and Kelley Printouts? He already mentioned his wife wants them gone.
 
I feel your pain. About 10 or 12 years ago, there was a guy in my town that had a real nice GPZ1100 for sale. Nice bike - not a 100-pointer, but maybe an 80-85. He said that he wouldn't take a penny less than $10K for it... No amount of reasoning on my part would change his mind, including showing him listings on Ebay for a third and less of what he was asking. He just laughed and stated that "everything on Ebay is s__t; this bike is perfect". Well, as I said, it was nice, but it definitely was not "perfect". I was actually on the hunt at the time for another GS1100e, but thought that the GPZ might satisfy the itch. He never budged a penny on the bike - just like he first stated - and was also an arrogant PITA in every conversation we had. I of course, moved on. That bike sat outside his place for about a year, and I don't know if he ever sold it. I understand that everybody wants to get the most they can for what they're trying to sell, and I myself often start higher than what I'm ready to sell for, just to allow a little negotiation room when I'm selling locally, but I really can't comprehend people that pull unrealistic, astronomical prices out of their backsides, and then refuse to move at all on that price.
 
I collect/buy/sell old camera gear, mostly good manual lenses which can be used with adapters and digital cameras. Occasionally, I'll find a lens I really want, like an old Zeiss in really good condition, but the seller's asking price is close to a new lens. My standard line is, "Well, I'm not in a hurry. This is how much I'm willing to pay, based on how those old lenses are selling in other places. If it doesn't sell, or if you change your mind, here's my number." About half the time, I get a call within a few days and I buy it for a reasonable price. If I never hear back, then, like I said, I'm not in a hurry. There's always someone more motivated to sell.
 
To answer your question 0011bc, I don't think there's a problem showing him evidence that his price is ridiculous. If he's not interested, so be it. On day he may be or he may get really lucky and some clown will pay him what he's asking

If that's going to break your heart, you may need to think about how much these bikes are worth to you.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
To answer your question 0011bc, I don't think there's a problem showing him evidence that his price is ridiculous. If he's not interested, so be it. On day he may be or he may get really lucky and some clown will pay him what he's asking

If that's going to break your heart, you may need to think about how much these bikes are worth to you.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to say in my own long-winded way, too. :D

With the added caveat: just don't be too broken-hearted if even the evidence you show him doesn't fly for you. :-/
 
0011bc_imp said:
Both in decent original condition, around 30k miles but he is asking way too much i think...4500 for the 83 which is pretty clean, dent in tank, minor cosmetics - bubbling on the crank case - could be buffed...and 1000 for the 85 with no title (would cost about 700 to get a bonded title)

Any ideas on how to bring him back to reality without being insulting??

Kelley says 1700 for excellent on the 83, Nada Says 3700 for excellent....

Im going to ride my CB back over there today and maybe it will let down his guard that I am a true Honda enthusiast. I'll get pics later.
Interceptor or Magna? Magna is not worth squat; Interceptor, yes, 1983 would be a collector's item for sure. I think he is being real. However make SURE the cams have been done, otherwise it's worth zip. Cams and and an oil line needed to be replaced, it was a recall.

I would pay 4500 easy for a really clean, good-running VF750F if I was in the market for vintage stuff. Bike is great. Same power/weight as CB1100.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
0011bc_imp said:
Both in decent original condition, around 30k miles but he is asking way too much i think...4500 for the 83 which is pretty clean, dent in tank, minor cosmetics - bubbling on the crank case - could be buffed...and 1000 for the 85 with no title (would cost about 700 to get a bonded title)

Any ideas on how to bring him back to reality without being insulting??

Kelley says 1700 for excellent on the 83, Nada Says 3700 for excellent....

Im going to ride my CB back over there today and maybe it will let down his guard that I am a true Honda enthusiast. I'll get pics later.
Interceptor or Magna? Magna is not worth squat; Interceptor, yes, 1983 would be a collector's item for sure. I think he is being real. However make SURE the cams have been done, otherwise it's worth zip. Cams and and an oil line needed to be replaced, it was a recall.

I would pay 4500 easy for a really clean, good-running VF750F if I was in the market for vintage stuff. Bike is great. Same power/weight as CB1100.
Interceptor or Magna? Magna is not worth squat; Interceptor, yes, 1983 would be a collector's item for sure. I think he is being real. However make SURE the cams have been done, otherwise it's worth zip. Cams and and an oil line needed to be replaced, it was a recall.

I would pay 4500 easy for a really clean, good-running VF750F if I was in the market for vintage stuff. Bike is great. Same power/weight as CB1100.
Dented tank and other cosmetics is far from excellent, even in an Interceptor 4,500 is high.
 
Thread starter
Both interceptors.

Again. Pretty clean I'd say 80% it would need a new tanks and probably a good 40 hours of polishing, but it is not "excellent" at all. I could see 4500 if there was a GIANT market for 80s sport bikes in Milwaukee but here all the trendsters are just getting into 70s Hondas and cafe'ing them out.


He's not going to get anywhere near 4500.

His big thing is "all original", that's fine but I could poop in the woods and let it sit for 30 years and what's left would still be all original.
 
0011bc_imp said:
Both interceptors.

Again. Pretty clean I'd say 80% it would need a new tanks and probably a good 40 hours of polishing, but it is not "excellent" at all. I could see 4500 if there was a GIANT market for 80s sport bikes in Milwaukee but here all the trendsters are just getting into 70s Hondas and cafe'ing them out.


He's not going to get anywhere near 4500.

His big thing is "all original", that's fine but I could poop in the woods and let it sit for 30 years and what's left would still be all original.
The trouble with that analogy, mate, is that you could poop in the woods all you like but now and in 30 or 40 years it would still be a worthless pile!

Good luck talking him down. If you can't, refer him o Ulvetanna.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
0011bc_imp said:
Both interceptors.

Again. Pretty clean I'd say 80% it would need a new tanks and probably a good 40 hours of polishing, but it is not "excellent" at all. I could see 4500 if there was a GIANT market for 80s sport bikes in Milwaukee but here all the trendsters are just getting into 70s Hondas and cafe'ing them out.


He's not going to get anywhere near 4500.

His big thing is "all original", that's fine but I could poop in the woods and let it sit for 30 years and what's left would still be all original.
The trouble with that analogy, mate, is that you could poop in the woods all you like but now and in 30 or 40 years it would still be a worthless pile!

Good luck talking him down. If you can't, refer him o Ulvetanna.
The trouble with that analogy, mate, is that you could poop in the woods all you like but now and in 30 or 40 years it would still be a worthless pile!

Good luck talking him down. If you can't, refer him o Ulvetanna. lol, had two, not in the market for anything vintage...not even a CBR600RR! (Big discussion about that on the ZX-10R forum now).
 
0011bc_imp said:
well he runs an auto garage and we already talked that he could take my CheckCard Chip & Pin. (i dont carry any cash)...So i dont think I'll have a physical knot. WOuld it be a dick move to show him the NADA and Kelley Printouts? He already mentioned his wife wants them gone.
Show em... what's he gonna do past say no... I get not wanting to be a dick.. However, business is business. It's his job to get the most $, but it's your job to buy em for the least...
 
This is a business deal. You need to be distant. Once emotion is involved you are lost. If you feel it is too much just walk and never look back. Just look for another. But if this is it then you have to pay up and again never look back


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
0011bc_imp said:
Both interceptors.

Again. Pretty clean I'd say 80% it would need a new tanks and probably a good 40 hours of polishing, but it is not "excellent" at all. I could see 4500 if there was a GIANT market for 80s sport bikes in Milwaukee but here all the trendsters are just getting into 70s Hondas and cafe'ing them out.


He's not going to get anywhere near 4500.

His big thing is "all original", that's fine but I could poop in the woods and let it sit for 30 years and what's left would still be all original.
The trouble with that analogy, mate, is that you could poop in the woods all you like but now and in 30 or 40 years it would still be a worthless pile!

Good luck talking him down. If you can't, refer him o Ulvetanna.
The trouble with that analogy, mate, is that you could poop in the woods all you like but now and in 30 or 40 years it would still be a worthless pile!
Cormanus, once again, you have broken the internet with the best line I've seen in a long while! :rofl:
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
0011bc_imp said:
Both interceptors.

Again. Pretty clean I'd say 80% it would need a new tanks and probably a good 40 hours of polishing, but it is not "excellent" at all. I could see 4500 if there was a GIANT market for 80s sport bikes in Milwaukee but here all the trendsters are just getting into 70s Hondas and cafe'ing them out.


He's not going to get anywhere near 4500.

His big thing is "all original", that's fine but I could poop in the woods and let it sit for 30 years and what's left would still be all original.
The trouble with that analogy, mate, is that you could poop in the woods all you like but now and in 30 or 40 years it would still be a worthless pile!

Good luck talking him down. If you can't, refer him o Ulvetanna.
The trouble with that analogy, mate, is that you could poop in the woods all you like but now and in 30 or 40 years it would still be a worthless pile!

Good luck talking him down. If you can't, refer him o Ulvetanna.
Hahaha. That's exactly what I was saying. It really means nothing to me that the dented tank, dry rotted hand grips, bubbled covers, and dented tank are all original.
 
Back
Top