Smooth power everywhere

VicsCB1100_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just got the right day to try out the CB with the latest upgrade, a Power Commander 5.
Heavy Autumn rains have cleared with a blue sky, 26 degrees C and The National Park twisties and coast road only 20 minutes away.

The CB was already impressive but now it feels like it has a big electric motor with power on tap from ridiculously low revs right up to redline.

No more hesitation at low revs, no jerky throttle in slow roundabots, smooth exits from those tight corners, cruise or play on one machine. Truly amazing.

This modification is worth every cent and the puzzle getting that tank off.
 
Thread starter
VTR1000F_imp said:
Congrats. Any other mods on your bike? Power map is stock or custom? Auto Tune?
I like stock mechanicals where possible, unless someting as obvious as fuel mixtures to meet emissions is a problem. My map is as it came out of the box.

My CB has a few mods to make it more flexible as I like to take off for some touring. In Australia we have some big spaces with few people to fill em.

I also have a little bling .
Fitted are a Dart screen, Honda rack, Shad top box, SW Motech Engine bars, chrome instrument covers and side cover badges, custom white wall tyres.

I am thinking about upgrading the seat to the 2014 US spec as this looks more retro and more padded than our low height version.. Dont think I will bother with any more power upgrades as this bike will go faster than my capabilities and our speed limits anyway. I am long past loud exhausts to impress the neighbours and enjoy being able to talk to my daughter on the highway when she joins me on some weekends.




ss
 
Some people are saying that you only need a power commander if you are 'opening her up', i.e. airbox mods, non-cat headers, aftermarket pipe etc and that otherwise stock ECU map is fine?

I'm impressed with the throttle response and linear power delivery as it is! You are saying the difference is extremely noticeable? Hmm I wasn't going to get one but now I'm intrigued...
 
Thread starter
Aussie_imp said:
Some people are saying that you only need a power commander if you are 'opening her up', i.e. airbox mods, non-cat headers, aftermarket pipe etc and that otherwise stock ECU map is fine?

I'm impressed with the throttle response and linear power delivery as it is! You are saying the difference is extremely noticeable? Hmm I wasn't going to get one but now I'm intrigued...
The CB is probably the best fuelled bike stock that I have had. However I have had past experience with the Power Commanders before in other bikes.

The lean condition at low speeds especially annoys me especially in the city.

This time around I can say I am still pleased that I fitted one. A cheap tune up and no major messing with huge Hondas R&D spend. Just getting around the emissions shackles.
 
Aussie_imp said:
Some people are saying that you only need a power commander if you are 'opening her up', i.e. airbox mods, non-cat headers, aftermarket pipe etc and that otherwise stock ECU map is fine?

I'm impressed with the throttle response and linear power delivery as it is! You are saying the difference is extremely noticeable? Hmm I wasn't going to get one but now I'm intrigued...
It's virtually axiomatic that changing the intake flow and removing a significant amount of backpressure on the exhaust side will require re-mapping. We used to do it by changing the jet size on the carb(s); now with FI it's a re-map. However, I was quite surprised to find the CB ran without the lurching, popping, and other super-lean mixture faults when I put the 2Bros exhaust and K/N filter on with no FI mods. It wasn't perfect, but compared to other bikes I've made similar mods to, it ran quite well.

Having said all that, I returned it all to stock and I'm going to keep it that way. For me, the factory setup works. It's the smoothest power, lowest vibe, comfortable hour after hour bike I've owned with the possible exception of the VFR-800. Even that bike's V-4 would be no better than a tie for smooth power delivery.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Aussie_imp said:
Some people are saying that you only need a power commander if you are 'opening her up', i.e. airbox mods, non-cat headers, aftermarket pipe etc and that otherwise stock ECU map is fine?

I'm impressed with the throttle response and linear power delivery as it is! You are saying the difference is extremely noticeable? Hmm I wasn't going to get one but now I'm intrigued...
It's virtually axiomatic that changing the intake flow and removing a significant amount of backpressure on the exhaust side will require re-mapping. We used to do it by changing the jet size on the carb(s); now with FI it's a re-map. However, I was quite surprised to find the CB ran without the lurching, popping, and other super-lean mixture faults when I put the 2Bros exhaust and K/N filter on with no FI mods. It wasn't perfect, but compared to other bikes I've made similar mods to, it ran quite well.

Having said all that, I returned it all to stock and I'm going to keep it that way. For me, the factory setup works. It's the smoothest power, lowest vibe, comfortable hour after hour bike I've owned with the possible exception of the VFR-800. Even that bike's V-4 would be no better than a tie for smooth power delivery.
It's virtually axiomatic that changing the intake flow and removing a significant amount of backpressure on the exhaust side will require re-mapping. We used to do it by changing the jet size on the carb(s); now with FI it's a re-map. However, I was quite surprised to find the CB ran without the lurching, popping, and other super-lean mixture faults when I put the 2Bros exhaust and K/N filter on with no FI mods. It wasn't perfect, but compared to other bikes I've made similar mods to, it ran quite well.

Having said all that, I returned it all to stock and I'm going to keep it that way. For me, the factory setup works. It's the smoothest power, lowest vibe, comfortable hour after hour bike I've owned with the possible exception of the VFR-800. Even that bike's V-4 would be no better than a tie for smooth power delivery.
So you've been to the Dark Side and returned, and are still happier with the stock settings?

You may be the best friend my mortgage overpayments ever had Spaceman! :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
cc62c0d0ec040f6fcb1b7a098b9c6e11.jpg
I'm off again to try out the new setup. The sun is still shining and my mate is just about to arrive on his bike.

Lunch near a beach somewhere down the south coast is our days objective.
4a19b10c4028d668861ee31b534321de.jpg


Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
 
VicsCB1100_imp said:
Aussie_imp said:
Some people are saying that you only need a power commander if you are 'opening her up', i.e. airbox mods, non-cat headers, aftermarket pipe etc and that otherwise stock ECU map is fine?

I'm impressed with the throttle response and linear power delivery as it is! You are saying the difference is extremely noticeable? Hmm I wasn't going to get one but now I'm intrigued...
The CB is probably the best fuelled bike stock that I have had. However I have had past experience with the Power Commanders before in other bikes.

The lean condition at low speeds especially annoys me especially in the city.

This time around I can say I am still pleased that I fitted one. A cheap tune up and no major messing with huge Hondas R&D spend. Just getting around the emissions shackles.
The CB is probably the best fuelled bike stock that I have had. However I have had past experience with the Power Commanders before in other bikes.

The lean condition at low speeds especially annoys me especially in the city.

This time around I can say I am still pleased that I fitted one. A cheap tune up and no major messing with huge Hondas R&D spend. Just getting around the emissions shackles.
G'day Vic,

Like Aussie I to am intrigued. I am not after extra performance as such but if PCV gives significant gains in smoother operation in the low RPM band then that is interesting. I do most, probably 75% or more, of my riding touring on country roads and backroads. Snowies, Oberon loop, Putty loop, Oxley, Bylong etc. With this in mind maybe PCV doesn't offer much but if I don't ask I'll never know.

When you say "The lean condition at low speeds" what exactly do you mean? Does this manifest itself in poor acceleration until above, say, 3000RPM for instance? As Spaceman said, the CB is a fair performer in this area anyway and in my case I compare to the VFR 750. If so does this come at a range cost? Around town I am lucky to get 180kms out of a tank. I am not a boy racer in city traffic as charging from red light to red light is not my thing. I just pick the low hanging fruit by humiliating scoot riders from the front of the pack :).

Looking at your initial post you have, I guess, answered my questions with:
"No more hesitation at low revs, no jerky throttle in slow roundabots, smooth exits from those tight corners, cruise or play on one machine. Truly amazing." Did you fit the PCV yourself and have you had the CB on a dyno?

Any further information would be welcome. I am also interested in the effectiveness of your screen. I am off the road for a couple of months but when I am on the bike again maybe we can get together for a chat or a CB ride.

Cheers.
And further great pics above. I've been there.

Cheers
 
VicsCB1100_imp said:
cc62c0d0ec040f6fcb1b7a098b9c6e11.jpg
I'm off again to try out the new setup. The sun is still shining and my mate is just about to arrive on his bike.

Lunch near a beach somewhere down the south coast is our days objective.
4a19b10c4028d668861ee31b534321de.jpg


Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
cool looking CB, would like better without rear rack .
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
VicsCB1100_imp said:
cc62c0d0ec040f6fcb1b7a098b9c6e11.jpg
I'm off again to try out the new setup. The sun is still shining and my mate is just about to arrive on his bike.

Lunch near a beach somewhere down the south coast is our days objective.
4a19b10c4028d668861ee31b534321de.jpg


Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
cool looking CB, would like better without rear rack .
cool looking CB, would like better without rear rack .
Agree about the looks.
However the rack makes up for it with practicality, especially with the top box as a backrest and secure place to stow gear.
The rack also makes using the centre stand a breeze.
 
Those are different side covers and emblems right? and where did you get whitewall tires to fit this bike? Are they radials?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Those are different side covers and emblems right? and where did you get whitewall tires to fit this bike? Are they radials?
The side covers are original , the chrome emblems are from a US supplier on Ebay and replace the black decal used as OE.
The white walls are a custom job done by the dealer on the original Dunlops. Its a shame tha when they wear out they cant be replaced off the shelf.

Everywhere I park this bike it draws attention. Very few were sold in Australia before being discontinued. I have never seen one on the road.

I parted with my 1977 CB750 k7 to pay for this bike. Too much time needed to maintain when all I want is time on the road these days.
 
Wow, interesting. Is the white wall paint? It makes the tires look entirely different. Our side covers are a lighter silver.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wow, interesting. Is the white wall paint? It makes the tires look entirely different. Our side covers are a lighter silver.
Yes the white walls are painted after some tyre prep. Our side covers are a light bronze colour in a semi matt finish. This is a 2011 model. I believe very similar to the Japanese spec incl low seat height, exhaust with a small flap which creates a burbling sound at idle. Not sure if other markets have this ?
Hi Pterodactyl
I worked in the car manufacturing industry for over 30 years and was able to meet many designers and engineers . The emissions guys were the geeks who had to contend with Govt regulations, marketing departments who want more power but use less fuel and customers who want it all.

They all struggle to meet emissions and fuel economy goals. Today everything is the leanest possible especially at low speeds.

That is why headers blue up so quicly on many bikes. Lean =hot exhaust temps. I have recently polished mine so lets hope the PCV slows it down between cleans.

To answer some of your questions. Yes I installed it myself and wont bother with a dyno tune. It is a simple plug and play and trust the manufacturer on their R&D. The dyno is an expensive exercise when not chasing power or perfection.

From experience over many years with my own bikes and watching mates pull their hair out with changing pipes, home made mods to airboxes etc. I figure that stock is best in many ways. Small fiddle with a simple black box is a safe and cost effective way to go. Otherwise you are continually chasing each mods effects on the system.

I know how the warranty department works. Obvious mods to an engine is usually a simple NO to any warranty claim. In many cases they are actually justified because of the stresses caused by more power or just poor backyard mechanics. I dont like helping those mean SOB'achieve their budget.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks VicsCB1100, very informative. Hate to keep bothering you but the Dart screen, is it effective[/b]?

Cheers
All OK have found the thread : Dart Fly screen input needed.

Thanks again and cheers
 
Thread starter
Sorry that I overlooked the Dart screen question.

Apart from looking good it does help a little at highway speeds. Definitely a poor touring screen though and wont be much fun in winter.

Very easy to fit and very high quality makes it look like a factory part.
Cheap price from Dart helps.
Let me know when you would like to meet up and cruise down South.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top