Smaller turn signal/running light choices

TxRonHarris_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Have been looking through the forum archives and wondering what choices those of you that have changed to smaller blinker/tail light and running lights have made. I've seen several LED versions and want something smaller/sleeker than originals and preferably aluminum instead of plastic. Was thinking maybe some of you could post up pics and info on yours if you've done this. Thanks in advance.
 
TxRonHarris_imp said:
Have been looking through the forum archives and wondering what choices those of you that have changed to smaller blinker/tail light and running lights have made. I've seen several LED versions and want something smaller/sleeker than originals and preferably aluminum instead of plastic. Was thinking maybe some of you could post up pics and info on yours if you've done this. Thanks in advance.
Several of forum members are using the same setup that I have. These are Lockhart Phillips polished aluminum small bullet turn signals and the polished aluminum Lucas sport taillight / license plate combo. Both are excellent quality and fit well!

 
Do you have a 2013 or 2014? I believe the 2014 turn signals are smaller than the 2013 ones. Are they plastic like the 2013s?

Also, do the 2014s fit on the 2013 bikes?
 
Thread starter
postoak_imp said:
Do you have a 2013 or 2014? I believe the 2014 turn signals are smaller than the 2013 ones. Are they plastic like the 2013s?

Also, do the 2014s fit on the 2013 bikes?
It's a 2013. Was thinking maybe going black anodized. Those Lockhart Phillips lights look good Ron, but hoping to find something smaller in same shape.
 
postoak_imp said:
Do you have a 2013 or 2014? I believe the 2014 turn signals are smaller than the 2013 ones. Are they plastic like the 2013s?

Also, do the 2014s fit on the 2013 bikes?
Postoak - My CB1100 is a 2013 and I just installed the 2014 turn signals without any problems. Yes, they are chrome plastic but are smaller than the stock 2013 units. I went back to the OEM turn signals because I like the chrome like shine better than the Lockhart Phillips models in the picture above.
 
Posh Superbike signals with clear lenses:

66aa0b402e9f5fc31ea523b4ed353dba.jpg
 
Just installed these recently.
e517f9db95f6a5de430022a44552f979.jpg

da2647d59dfb789d9141277ca3480566.jpg

Simple two wire set-up. Still function as running lights in the front for those concerned about that. They do flash faster than normal as turn signals, but that doesn't bother me. Definitely sleeker, but bright and functional. Picked them up on Amazon.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
They used that style up to and including 1975. In 1976 they went to the larger turn signals.
 
I have the Rizoma Club signals pictured below in black. These are tiny, but very bright and I love them. I have the integrated rear brake-run-signal ones in back with a fender delete and the normal ones on the front*. Rizoma stuff is expensive, but it is amazingly well made and designed -- my signals have 25000 kms of all weather riding on them and still look brand new.

Specchi Retrovisori Rizoma

c4024f1f0967625dedad0cfb424b5066.jpg


*The Club L turn signals looks awesome, as they are a white run light and a normal turn signal. I don't think you can run these on the CB though, as it is wired to run the front signals all the time as running lights and this would make the turn signal override the run on the Rizomas. Just food for though if you think about going this direction.
 
Figured it was easier to revive an old thread than to start another turn signal thread.

I am looking for smaller turn signals and to relocate the rears to the license plate mount.


- trying to get my information straight. I don't want to need a flasher or resistor. So what light specs do I need to look for?


* if I want plug and play* (aside from extending the rear wires)

1. my understanding is I need 3 wire, Incandescent lights for the front to retain the running lights. Correct?

2. Does single or dual filament bulb matter?

3. Can I use 3 wire lights for the rear and just not use the third running light connection? (If I found a 4 pack of 3 wire)



I really want small bullet turn signals but they all seem to be LED and that sounds like a pain to change resistors or flashers to make LED work.

Rather put the money and effort towards other modifications than making simple taillights become a project.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Mkv, #1– incorrect. Our turn signal bulbs are 2 wire. Ground and 12v from the relay.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Mkv, #1– incorrect. Our turn signal bulbs are 2 wire. Ground and 12v from the relay.
Thank you, how does it work as both a running light and turn signal than? The relay?

Trying to figure out what to look for in aftermarket lights to avoid hyperflash or needing to splice in a resistor. Just want smaller lights

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Mkv, the relay sends 12v to the front signal lights all the time. When you select a turn signal, it just turns the 12v off and on and thus the light blinks. As I have stated in another thread, I believe the relay is actually a solid state device, but have not cut one open or felt of listened to it as it ‘blinked’.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Mkv, the relay sends 12v to the front signal lights all the time. When you select a turn signal, it just turns the 12v off and on and thus the light blinks. As I have stated in another thread, I believe the relay is actually a solid state device, but have not cut one open or felt of listened to it as it ‘blinked’.
Okay very cool. Thank you as always.

So any 2 wire turn signal should at least maintain the running light/blinking signal for the fronts?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Yeah, should work. LED? Might be a different story as we’ve seen in other threads.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yeah, should work. LED? Might be a different story as we’ve seen in other threads.
Sounds good thank you, I just found very small 6mm bolt LED turn signals on ebay. For the price ill see how bad the hyper flash is. At that size and 6mm bolts I can use the factory mounting and still clear hard bags no problem. I ordered the wiring adapter plugs for the rear too.

1. Is hyperflash bad for the bike in anyway or is it just an annoyance?

2. If someone made an integrated taillight for our bikes I'd probably jump on that and negate the rear turn signals entirely

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top