Small quiz; brakes are dragging.

max

Road warrior
Thread starter
Changed the front tire today, all went well, cable ties went good, tire direction on the wheel was fine, the bead set ok at 2.5 bar, bushes installed on the correct side, lube on the seals and shaft and everything mounted perfectly except.........

Breaking the bead, very easy and quick,
don't worry, the rim was supported, this is just a mock-up to show how it's done;




The brakes were dragging, they never drag; what went wrong:huh:

Balancing the wheel by using an alu rod, the tire settles as i rotate the rod left and right, nothing fancy and it works,
The stand is a home made paddock stand for my cb919 hornet;


Answer tomorrow:)
 
The brakes were dragging, they never drag; what went wrong:huh:

Hi Max, do I win a prize if I answer the question properly?

Ok, here's my guess: Your pads were worn prior to changing them, causing the fluid level to lower in the brake reservoir. You added fluid to the reservoir to bring it back up to the desired level (this compensated for the worn pads). After you replaced the pads the pistons were forced to move back further, displacing more fluid in the brake reservoir. The reservoir became over-filled with the new pads, causing brake drag.
Do you use a tire changer to replace your tires, or do you use tire irons? Do you use rim savers? What kind?
 
I would think that Max kept his eyes on the fluid level in the reservoir when he replaced the pads but perhaps he drunk too many Fosters ???
 
Houtman_imp said:
I would think that Max kept his eyes on the fluid level in the reservoir when he replaced the pads but perhaps he drunk too many Fosters ???
This IS very accurate statement John :D
 
Houtman, I’m not sure a self-respecting resident of New Zealand would be caught dead drinking Fosters. I’m not sure too many Australians would either.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Houtman, I’m not sure a self-respecting resident of New Zealand would be caught dead drinking Fosters. I’m not sure too many Australians would either.
Definitely not Australians

 
XXXX is the local Queensland brew. The joke elsewhere is that it’s called XXXX because Queenslanders can’t spell beer.
 
Thread starter
The longest day Houtman:beerchug:

The solution was very simple; i knew something was wrong but everything looked in place, except....
The wheel ROTATION was backwards so the pads were bedded in on the disks but now did not match the pattern of wear.
Simple but interesting effect, once the wheel was turned around everything was fine as usual.

Dave i just use 3 large 600 mm. tyre irons, you can see them in the middle picture and plastic rim protectors in between the rim.
With the cable ties on the tire and lube on the working surfaces it was easy to get the tire back on the rim, once on you just remove the cable ties with a stanley knife to move the locking tabs back to unlock the ties and re-use them next time, place the tire so there is no force on the tire and inflate until the beads set.
I use a 5 liter garden pressure weed sprayer ( the orange thing in the last picture ) and a clear plastic hose that just fits the sprayer and the valve, i clamp the hose, pump up the pressure in the tank and release the clamp to quickly get the pressure inside the tire and it seats on the rim, done the same thing last time with a co2 cartridge, same effect.
 
Hi Max. I have never seen anybody use plastic tie wraps to install a tire before. Is there a chance you could create a tire change video, similar to what Scotty just did for the oil change, and post a link to it the next time you change a tire? I like your home made bead breaker. When I've been faced with a nasty tire that the bead just won't break I carefully support the wheel assy on the floor and place a 2 X 6 on the tire similar to a ramp, from the floor onto the tire, and drive my car up the 2 X 6 - works like a charm, every time. I have given up changing street bike tires mounted on painted rims because it is too difficult to keep from scratching the rim, but I change dirt bike tires all the time (my dirt bike rims are all scratched up from the tire irons).
 
Thread starter
Thanks pdedse, that's how i got the idea.
And i like this guy's approach to breaking the beads, my latest method is based on his way of doing things;

How do you get the video to show up like that instead of my red link pdedse?
 
Max, you have to embed the link to the video in BB tags. It will look like this ...

Code:
Make sure 'youtube' is all lower case or it won't work.

In the new reply post box, there's an icon on the far right that looks like a TV. It produces a stop-down menu with options for embedding videos from different providers.

Note to Mac and iOS users: Safari is not displaying embedded videos since the release of Mac OS 12.0.1 They appear in Chrome. On iOS devices, they don't seem to show in either browser.
 
Tire changing in the field, particularly offroad is a popular (and not always fun) topic at ADV forums. Many tires are tubed.

Good flicks folks.
 
I'm not seeing anything. Can you just tell us what you did?
 
iPad at home, Windows at work. All I see is a sentence or 2 then a big blank space.

I'll try my Phone. iPhone 6+. Oldie, but works good!
 
Back
Top