This is a follow-up to the thread Buffalohead posted about the sissybar on his friend Mike’s CB1100 with sidecar.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1055
Mike mounted a Jardine short backrest onto a Honda rear carrier. I wanted a lower profile setup so I went with the Jardine mini backrest.
The mini backrest wasn’t a perfect fit, so I made a pair of makeshift mounting brackets using 0.2” thick aluminum plates.
I started by drilling a couple of holes in each side of the carrier. Since the carrier sides are angled, I made some wedges from an old cutting board that my wife will never miss, and I placed these wedges on either side so the mounting bolts would be in line with the sissybar
Two ¼” x 1.5” stainless steel bracket mounting bolts go through the wedges and the drilled holes in the carrier. The bolts in turn hold 2 aluminum plates in place. The backrest then mounts to the plates.
More than a few folks would consider it sacrilege to cob together plastic and aluminum bits to make a mounting bracket and attach them to an otherwise nice motorcycle. But I was getting tired of not finding a good sissybar solution. This will do until I find something better. It’s very solid and will make my wife much more comfortable. Plus now I can goose it with the wife on the bike and not get yelled at (as much).
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1055
Mike mounted a Jardine short backrest onto a Honda rear carrier. I wanted a lower profile setup so I went with the Jardine mini backrest.
The mini backrest wasn’t a perfect fit, so I made a pair of makeshift mounting brackets using 0.2” thick aluminum plates.
I started by drilling a couple of holes in each side of the carrier. Since the carrier sides are angled, I made some wedges from an old cutting board that my wife will never miss, and I placed these wedges on either side so the mounting bolts would be in line with the sissybar
Two ¼” x 1.5” stainless steel bracket mounting bolts go through the wedges and the drilled holes in the carrier. The bolts in turn hold 2 aluminum plates in place. The backrest then mounts to the plates.
More than a few folks would consider it sacrilege to cob together plastic and aluminum bits to make a mounting bracket and attach them to an otherwise nice motorcycle. But I was getting tired of not finding a good sissybar solution. This will do until I find something better. It’s very solid and will make my wife much more comfortable. Plus now I can goose it with the wife on the bike and not get yelled at (as much).
