Sissybar/backrest info (from sidecar pics)

Buffalohead_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Mike looked through the J&P site until he found it. Remember, you must have the factory rack because the sissybar/backrest mounts to the rack after holes are drilled in the rack. It looks like they belong together.
The J&P info is:

Jardine Short Backrest with Pad
Part #: ZZ82052 $113.99

jpcycles.com
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Mike looked through the J&P site until he found it. Remember, you must have the factory rack because the sissybar/backrest mounts to the rack after holes are drilled in the rack. It looks like they belong together.
The J&P info is:

Jardine Short Backrest with Pad
Part #: ZZ82052 $113.99

jpcycles.com
Awesome! Thanks. :thumbsup:
 
Ordered the Jardine mini backrest version. It's 9" high vs. 11.5" high and has a shorter sized pad. Both are the same dimensions where they meet the Honda rear carrier.

Dennis Kirk has both the short and mini backrest for $108 plus free same day shipping. Right now they have 3 of the short and only 1 of the mini.

https://www.denniskirk.com/jardine/mini-steel-backrest-w-standard-pad.p494859.prd/494859.sku

My wife and I really liked the short sissy bar on my old Triumph Bonneville. It was unobtrusive and gave my wife a secure feeling that she wasn't going to slide off the back when I goosed it. I think the Jardine mini will be similiar.

Buffalohead - many thanks!!!!!
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Ordered the Jardine mini backrest version. It's 9" high vs. 11.5" high and has a shorter sized pad. Both are the same dimensions where they meet the Honda rear carrier.

Dennis Kirk has both the short and mini backrest for $108 plus free same day shipping. Right now they have 3 of the short and only 1 of the mini.

https://www.denniskirk.com/jardine/mini-steel-backrest-w-standard-pad.p494859.prd/494859.sku

My wife and I really liked the short sissy bar on my old Triumph Bonneville. It was unobtrusive and gave my wife a secure feeling that she wasn't going to slide off the back when I goosed it. I think the Jardine mini will be similiar.

Buffalohead - many thanks!!!!!
Great info! What mounting kit did you order?? There are many different options as you know.
 
According to Buffalohead, the backrest/sissybar will mount inside the Honda rear carrier. The sissybar is already drilled. The carrier will need to be drilled to match the sissybar holes at the desired angle. I may need some longer bolts and some spacers but the project seems relatively straight forward. I'll know more Monday when the sissybar arrives.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
CB4ME is correct. Mike didn't need a mounting kit. He drilled holes and bought good bolts. That's all you'll need.
Another dumb question - where would I get good bolts? I know or at least don't think I would be able to get anything like that at a Honda shop. Anya suggestions!
 
Thread starter
Bbref36_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
CB4ME is correct. Mike didn't need a mounting kit. He drilled holes and bought good bolts. That's all you'll need.
Another dumb question - where would I get good bolts? I know or at least don't think I would be able to get anything like that at a Honda shop. Anya suggestions!
Another dumb question - where would I get good bolts? I know or at least don't think I would be able to get anything like that at a Honda shop. Anya suggestions!
We usually get them at Lowe's. They have them in stainless steel. They look good.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Bbref36_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
CB4ME is correct. Mike didn't need a mounting kit. He drilled holes and bought good bolts. That's all you'll need.
Another dumb question - where would I get good bolts? I know or at least don't think I would be able to get anything like that at a Honda shop. Anya suggestions!
Another dumb question - where would I get good bolts? I know or at least don't think I would be able to get anything like that at a Honda shop. Anya suggestions!
We usually get them at Lowe's. They have them in stainless steel. They look good.
Another dumb question - where would I get good bolts? I know or at least don't think I would be able to get anything like that at a Honda shop. Anya suggestions!
We usually get them at Lowe's. They have them in stainless steel. They look good.

How much longer than the bolts for the luggage rack did you get? Thanks for all your help
 
Get long longish bolts and use one of those small hacksaws with thin blades and a fine tooth file to cut down and debur to achieve a perfect size. Use a vice to make the cut.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Get long longish bolts and use one of those small hacksaws with thin blades and a fine tooth file to cut down and debur to achieve a perfect size. Use a vice to make the cut.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks again
 
Thread starter
Bbref36_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Get long longish bolts and use one of those small hacksaws with thin blades and a fine tooth file to cut down and debur to achieve a perfect size. Use a vice to make the cut.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks again
That's what I was thinking. Thanks again
Put a nut on before you cut the bolt. After cutting, remove the nut and the threads will be perfectly normal. Sometimes when you're filing, you can get a bit of a flat spot. Removing the nut makes it straight. It ensures the threads will be de-burred too. It always works for me.

Sometimes, when you have something that is to be bolted on, but you would rather have studs, you can use the nut to cut the head of the bolt off and make a stud by cleaning up the threads.
 
Thread starter
pwyakjr@stny.rr.com_imp said:
received the jardine and the factory backrest today. I have some ideas. how about posting some pics on how the two go together??? thanks
Do you mean the Jardine backrest and the factory rack?

I plan to get Mike to take some pics of the details in the next few days.
 
Here's a picture of the Jardine mini and the factory rear carrier on an amatuerish but solid mount.

I'll be interested in what Mike did and what you come up with.

2e89707199d8c2d8d681d90ff239b5f3.jpg
 
yea that is what I was thinking. i know where i can get some stainless steel, i'm sure after i'm done i can polish it up nice. i just installed the Over crash bar boy does that look nice. buffalohead stated mike did his installation without the stainless triangle, i wonder what he did???? i just read somewhere online the the cb1100 was voted the best new motorcycle of 2013.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Here's a picture of the Jardine mini and the factory rear carrier on an amatuerish but solid mount.

I'll be interested in what Mike did and what you come up with.

2e89707199d8c2d8d681d90ff239b5f3.jpg
I think that is an excellent adaptation of two pieces not really meant to go together. Good job!
 
Buffalohead asked me to post these 3 picture's from Mike's bike.

Mike took the clean and simple approach as you can see.

b3a5cf4a8bfe476da273bf3c09a25fae.jpg


f110e9bb256aca94718235632802eb50.jpg


be5a4636edff5b90c2892c526f0d2cc4.jpg


The Jardine sissybar comes with two M10x1.5x25 bolts but it appears Mike used longer 3/8" bolts instead. Notice he slightly bent the bolts where they meet the sissybar.

Very nice!
 
Back
Top