Sissy bar and rack.

Looks like the eBay seller is out of stock. If anyone sees the same rack for a similar price I'd love to have that info.
 
Swartzracer_imp said:
Here ya go. Their are a couple different sellers that have them.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/201349760621?nav=SEARCH
Thanks Swartz, much appreciated. A couple questions:

1. Does your passenger find the angle to be right? From your pictures, it looks a little "laid back".

2. Roughly speaking, what mods did you have to make? You mention trimming the bracket & boring new holes. Can you guide me in the right direction?

Thanks!
 
Thread starter
You can set the angle you desire. That is one of the holes that you drill. The backrest has two holes for mounting. Just put one in and move it around until you find your sweet spot. I posted a couple other pics a couple post up of the brackets. You just have to trim for seat clearance and turn signal clearance.



 
Thanks Swartz, I just ordered one.

The backrest angle makes complete sense now. The bracket mods (cut lines) are a little less obvious to me based on your pics, but I'm hoping it'll "show itself" once I try and fit them.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Wife is excited.
 
Because you will drill a new hole in the side rails for the sissy bar, you can mount the rack on the outside of the side rails and the sissy bar on the inside. This will hide the orig hole in the side rail you did not use because you had to drill a new hole. I also bought new 1/4 X 3/4 machine bolts and used acorn nuts on the outside so to give the seat more room to come off.
 
Wish I would've come across this mod before buying my H&B rear rack and top case. Much more $$$ haha plus it practically forced me to buy the side mounts and cases.
 
quail_imp said:
Because you will drill a new hole in the side rails for the sissy bar, you can mount the rack on the outside of the side rails and the sissy bar on the inside. This will hide the orig hole in the side rail you did not use because you had to drill a new hole. I also bought new 1/4 X 3/4 machine bolts and used acorn nuts on the outside so to give the seat more room to come off.
http://postimg.org/image/6f7pi4i9t/
http://s32.postimg.org/5064teh6t/20160505_191153.jpg
 
Lacking a step-by-step and being mostly not very mechanically inclined, I'm wondering if I'm up to the task . . . .

I'm hoping y'all can help me out with some basic questions . . . . I took a few bits off today, and when I figured out I was uncertain how to proceed, I put the parts back together to come here to ask questions . . .

I thought the side rails simply had to be reversed (despite chrome not as nice on both sides) and bolt it up. But when I took it apart, I found the holes on the side rails don't line up with my bike. See the pic here:

b8929ae9940598f2f9df8b377191c2d3.jpg



Am I supposed to use the front hole in the side rail, and drill a new hole to fit the bolt location for the rear of the side rail? If not, how does the fitment work?

Y'all talk about "cutting" on the siderail piece. What specifically are y'all cutting - IOW's, where on the chrome side rail are we cutting - and how did y'all cut it? What tool did you use?

The way I thought this was supposed to work is that the two bottom bolt holes on the side rail would line up with the CB, and then I would have to simply drill another hole here on the back of the side rail to properly line up the sissy bar incline - IOW's, I thought the only place I was to drill another hole was here:

75088b7c321d51702670fd064d6c65f2.jpg


From the parts I have, it looks like I'll have to drill in two places on each side rail - is that what y'all did?
Also, on the CB where the rear of the side rail must be bolted, there is another bolt head located just below the hole I thought we were to use for this fitment. Does that get in the way?
Where does the side rail get inserted with the bolts?

The front bolt looks like this:

ef7463ddfac98133f76ce2073177df65.jpg


Does the side rail go outside the spacer directly under the CB bolt head?

The rear bolt and spacers look like this:

84e3ae46aca587314b5a7b8418a59d35.jpg


Where does the side rail go here, outside both spacers next to the CB bolt head?

So sorry for these basic questions team . . . .
 
Thread starter
Don't take this the wrong way. But box it up and take it to your local garage and have him do it. From your previous post you stated you are not mechanically inclined. The job is fairly simple and simple to figure it out. You use the front hole and drill a new rear hole. Then I used a grinder with a cut off wheel to shape and fit the side mounts for seat clearence. Then just smooth the cuts and edges with a soft disc on the grinder. Not hard at all. But I am welder fabricator. That's what I do. I think computer stuff is hard. So I get people to do that stuff for me. It's not my cup of tea. No shame in getting the job done right by the right person. So please don't take this post the wrong way.
 
Racer, thanks for the note.

Swartzracer_imp said:
Don't take this the wrong way. But box it up and take it to your local garage and have him do it. From your previous post you stated you are not mechanically inclined. The job is fairly simple and simple to figure it out. You use the front hole and drill a new rear hole. Then I used a grinder with a cut off wheel to shape and fit the side mounts for seat clearence. Then just smooth the cuts and edges with a soft disc on the grinder. Not hard at all. But I am welder fabricator. That's what I do. I think computer stuff is hard. So I get people to do that stuff for me. It's not my cup of tea. No shame in getting the job done right by the right person. So please don't take this post the wrong way.
 
With all the rain we've had here in Texas the last few days, I decided to break out my tools and get this installed. I didn't have that much to go-by, but I got out my sharpie and my grinder with cut-off wheel and got started. After quite a bit of marking, test fitting, cutting, trying-on, cutting and drilling some more, then some sanding and polishing, I did get it installed on my 2014 DLX.

4be92191835857142705a08d298b3780.jpg


I haven't lowered the angle of the backrest yet (not sure I will), my son and I have given it a test ride in between rains, and it seems OK so far, we'll see. And I can get the seat on and off without too much trouble.

Gents, please note that I'm not a welder or a fabricator, and I'm certainly not that mechanically inclined . . . . but I was able to get it done. If you're like me, and would like more insight as to what I did on this, I'd be happy to share what I did, just shoot me a PM and I'll try to assist.
 
treytexag_imp said:
With all the rain we've had here in Texas the last few days, I decided to break out my tools and get this installed. I didn't have that much to go-by, but I got out my sharpie and my grinder with cut-off wheel and got started. After quite a bit of marking, test fitting, cutting, trying-on, cutting and drilling some more, then some sanding and polishing, I did get it installed on my 2014 DLX.

4be92191835857142705a08d298b3780.jpg


I haven't lowered the angle of the backrest yet (not sure I will), my son and I have given it a test ride in between rains, and it seems OK so far, we'll see. And I can get the seat on and off without too much trouble.

Gents, please note that I'm not a welder or a fabricator, and I'm certainly not that mechanically inclined . . . . but I was able to get it done. If you're like me, and would like more insight as to what I did on this, I'd be happy to share what I did, just shoot me a PM and I'll try to assist.
Sent you a PM and Email
 
Swartzracer_imp said:
Yes it was originally made for a 2007 honda shadow. I used the brackets that came with them. I just switched the right and left around for the offset bends. I had to trim the brackets to fit and drill one new hole in the bracket. The side plates wouldn't need re chromed if I would not of had to switch them from side to side. The chrome on the back of them is not like the front of them. Everything for $59 bucks is a pretty sweet deal. It took me about 2 hours to make it work. Now that I know how to trim the brackets I could do the job in an hour.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/310802495941?nav=SEARCH
Hi, do you think you could give people like me, not the greatest fabricator, a little more info/pix to help me out. The price is great and it looks good too. I am guessing it would work for either the 2013 or 2017EX. Thanks, Michael
treytexag_imp said:
With all the rain we've had here in Texas the last few days, I decided to break out my tools and get this installed. I didn't have that much to go-by, but I got out my sharpie and my grinder with cut-off wheel and got started. After quite a bit of marking, test fitting, cutting, trying-on, cutting and drilling some more, then some sanding and polishing, I did get it installed on my 2014 DLX.

4be92191835857142705a08d298b3780.jpg


I haven't lowered the angle of the backrest yet (not sure I will), my son and I have given it a test ride in between rains, and it seems OK so far, we'll see. And I can get the seat on and off without too much trouble.

Gents, please note that I'm not a welder or a fabricator, and I'm certainly not that mechanically inclined . . . . but I was able to get it done. If you're like me, and would like more insight as to what I did on this, I'd be happy to share what I did, just shoot me a PM and I'll try to assist.
Hi, I am going to try it too. I have a grinder and a drill. All you guys pix are great. I will just take it slow and try not to mess it up. If I am able to get one done, I am going to put one on my other CB1100 also. Thanks! Michael
 
Michael,

I am in the same boat as you, no pictures of the bracket's off the bike showing exactly what was removed for more detail. I have sent an email and a pm but received no response. Guess we will just have to "wing it". This is the second time in a few weeks that requests for help fell on "deaf forum" members ears. I will post pictures when I am done.

Glenn

http://m.ebay.com/itm/310802495941?nav=SEARCH
[/QUOTE]

Hi, do you think you could give people like me, not the greatest fabricator, a little more info/pix to help me out. The price is great and it looks good too. I am guessing it would work for either the 2013 or 2017EX. Thanks, Michael
treytexag_imp said:
With all the rain we've had here in Texas the last few days, I decided to break out my tools and get this installed. I didn't have that much to go-by, but I got out my sharpie and my grinder with cut-off wheel and got started. After quite a bit of marking, test fitting, cutting, trying-on, cutting and drilling some more, then some sanding and polishing, I did get it installed on my 2014 DLX.

4be92191835857142705a08d298b3780.jpg


I haven't lowered the angle of the backrest yet (not sure I will), my son and I have given it a test ride in between rains, and it seems OK so far, we'll see. And I can get the seat on and off without too much trouble.

Gents, please note that I'm not a welder or a fabricator, and I'm certainly not that mechanically inclined . . . . but I was able to get it done. If you're like me, and would like more insight as to what I did on this, I'd be happy to share what I did, just shoot me a PM and I'll try to assist.
Hi, I am going to try it too. I have a grinder and a drill. All you guys pix are great. I will just take it slow and try not to mess it up. If I am able to get one done, I am going to put one on my other CB1100 also. Thanks! Michael
[/QUOTE]
 
If you guys haven't noticed, Swartzracer has been banned, so he won't be posting here.
 
Back
Top