Signals flash faster than emergency flashers

Thread starter
I don't use the signals very much but when I do they flash twice as fast as the emergency flashers.... all the bulbs are good too. Is this normal for this bike?

Sent from me......
 
The signals and flashers flash at about the same frequency on my bike. No noticeable difference.

I always use my turn signals (bike and car). Many drivers in the Boston metro area do not however.
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
The signals and flashers flash at about the same frequency on my bike. No noticeable difference.

I always use my turn signals (bike and car). Many drivers in the Boston metro area do not however.
Unfortunately I find that MOST drivers in this area don't use their blinkers. I see some use them as an after thought ( in the middle of the turn ).:(
Kevin
 
+1 what Curlyjoe says. The same rate on my bike.

First question. Is your bike stock or have you added any electrical device to it or changed to LEDs or something?
 
If the new ones are LED they'll still work, but the flash frequency is based off the circuit resistance. You'll need to add a resistor in series to correct the problem.
 
Thread starter
Ferrealls_imp said:
If the new ones are LED they'll still work, but the flash frequency is based off the circuit resistance. You'll need to add a resistor in series to correct the problem.
Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder, if I don't add a resistor, will it be bad for the system?

Sent from me......
 
Sorry if I offend anyone here but the opening statement for this post makes my blood boil. There is no justification for not using your turn signals to let all other drivers know your intentions! Accident avoidance is key to any driver, especially for a motorcycle rider. All it takes is one person guessing you are going straight, when you are turning, to cause a life changing, or ending moment! Not to mention how frustrated I get waiting for some idiot, at an intersection, because they did not have the courtesy nor discipline to use their turn signals to let me know, in advance, of their intentions! I am not sure why you care how fast they flash, if you don't use them? Simply remove them and the problem is solved. You always have your arm to signal, as long as you have one, when you do decide that some level of courtesy may be appropriate. A friend of mine lost an arm in a motorcycle accident. Don't go looking for accidents, use everything at your command to avoid them. Especially when riding on two wheels!

Sorry, but this one hit a nerve.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
[/QUOTE]
I wonder, if I don't add a resistor, will it be bad for the system?
[/QUOTE]


I've been running Rizoma LED signals at all 4 corners without a resistor for over a year with no I'll effects.

A problem with adding the resistor in our bikes is that the front signals are also running lights, and as such the resistor is always doing work (and getting pretty hot). Because of this I just took them out after a while.
 
Posh makes a digital relay to replace the stock unit so LED lamps work correctly with no resistors. Resistors are not the best option. Look for my post on this subject


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Thread starter
I do signal when I feel it's necessary. For my own safety and others. My concern about flashing too fast is only whether or not it is bad for my electrical system. Sorry if I hit a nerve Retsel.

Sent from me......
 
MMC_imp said:
Ferrealls_imp said:
If the new ones are LED they'll still work, but the flash frequency is based off the circuit resistance. You'll need to add a resistor in series to correct the problem.
Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder, if I don't add a resistor, will it be bad for the system?

Sent from me......
Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder, if I don't add a resistor, will it be bad for the system?

Sent from me......
Nah. You're not introducing any new grounds or anything. The relay works on inverse time-current. The lower the current flow, the faster the flash frequency. That's all. You may burn up you flasher relay faster just because it's cycling more than stock, but that's about it for the system. The resistor will get hot when installed, so that's an annoying factor as well. You'd want to make sure to get the proper resistor to avoid excessive heat. To do that you'd need to look at the wattage on the current bulb vs. the original.
 
Back
Top