Sidestand Foot

I have managed to drop my CB11 on its right side while putting it on centerstand . What happened was I jerked it up on just one leg of centerstand and down it went. Dented tank!
 
Jomboa,

I feel your pain. Mine went down in a low speed garage drop and dented my tank. I got a another tank from a member on the board.

If you can't get one from a member here, try Mr. T. He has used tanks and may be able to save you some money. A new one is not cheap. The good thing is changing it is not hard.
 
jamboa_imp said:
I have managed to drop my CB11 on its right side while putting it on centerstand . What happened was I jerked it up on just one leg of centerstand and down it went. Dented tank!
My CB has been siting in my basement since last November waiting for winter to get over. I haven't manhandled it in a while so your post rang a bell with me.
Just a few minutes ago I was down there and wanted to move the CB over a bit and put it up on the center stand.
I put the stand down and slowly leaned it over to the right which seemed a long time before the other leg touched down. I was getting worried that it might go over - but it didn't and easily came up on two legs :D
 
If the bike is difficult to put up on the centerstand when putting it in its parking spot try this:

Let's say there is a 1" gap under the rear wheel when on the centerstand.
Place a piece of board or plywood or whatever, maybe 9" x 12", lengthwise on the ground where your front wheel would be. Any board thickness will help, the thicker the better, as log as there is a gap under the rear wheel when on the centerstand. In this case, 3/4", 7/8" might be optimal.

Now roll the front wheel on the board just past the midpoint, push the stand down with your right foot until you feel both legs touch the ground, steady the handlebar with the left hand (DON'T PULL ON IT), lift up on the grab rail as you put your weight on the centerstand arm with the right foot.

The board is a cheat that effectively moves the centerstand a little closer to vertical, and the centerstand's leverage arm is closer to it's ideal leverage point.
As long as the rear wheel is not touching, the bike will be perfectly stable and secure. Actually, it is a little more secure, as the front wheel is elevated, and less likely to roll off the stand!
 
jamboa_imp said:
I have managed to drop my CB11 on its right side while putting it on centerstand . What happened was I jerked it up on just one leg of centerstand and down it went. Dented tank!
I dropped mine when my foot slipped off the center stand pad and I lost my balance. Kind of held onto the bike as it fell away from me and managed to lessen the blow. Only managed to scratch up my crankcase cover and bend my brake lever. Fortunately, no damage to the tank or turn signal's!!! :rolleyes:
 
I haven't taken delivery of my DLX yet, just been living vicariously through the Forum for the last month or so till the big day arrives (when he** thaws). So, never having had a bike with a centerstand I started getting a little concerned after reading various posts on this forum where riders either hated their centerstand or even worse dropped it while trying to put it up. I had trouble with the centerstand in the showroom and the sales person didn't offer me any advise, just helped, and said to myself "don't be a wimp Reed, you'll figure it out". I have watched a few recommended videos that made perfect sense and feel confident now. What I noticed in the videos was that most bikes with a centerstand also had a sidestand. Does the 2014 DLX have both ??
 
Yes DLX has both. ALL bikes come with side stands, only some come with centerstands. Using a centerstand is learning technique. Even with technique some can be harder than others. To me a CB falls in the middle. Easier than some , harder than others.
 
Pheew... Thanks Ferret. I was having nightmares about bringing the bike over on the ferry. It's already dicey taking a bike over when the seas are high, wasn't looking forward to standing on the freight deck for 2+ hours babysitting the bike on a centerstand.
 
I think, all CB1100 from factory have a side stand and a center stand.

I use the center stand in really most cases. It's not difficult, to push the bike onto the center stand. Correct technique counts, not force. When you give weight to the pad of the stand, it jumps onto the stand more or less by itself.

Just try and find out.
 
I think in a garage or a level paved surface I will prefer the centerstand now that I have seen the correct way to use it. Plus it looks so much nicer ! Most driveways around here including mine are either stone, shell or dirt....and very uneven. I'm a happy camper now and will move on to the next issue....windshields.
Yes, great thread. Thanks!
 
Ha Ha, windshields--no debate there! :D

I think there are about 1000 threads and pics on them all ovr the board. :) And, its getting time for a new oil thread! :banana:
 
Chapomis_imp said:
Pheew... Thanks Ferret. I was having nightmares about bringing the bike over on the ferry. It's already dicey taking a bike over when the seas are high, wasn't looking forward to standing on the freight deck for 2+ hours babysitting the bike on a centerstand.
I took my bike over Bass Strait on the Ferry. Bass Strait can be very rough and unpleasant and I was interested to see how they would secure the bike. I was asked to leave it on the side stand and in gear. They then strapped it very securely using webbing gloves that fitted over the grips to keep the strapping clear of the bike. There was no way it could move. Made me think about leaving it on the centre stand though. The left-hand side has a lever that you put your foot on to haul the bike up. The right hand side simply has a stand with a small foot. A boat that rolled the bike too far to the right could easily have it off the centre stand unless it it were well strapped down. There a photos all over this forum of chaps whose bikes prefer to travel on a trailer. They seem to use the centre stand, but tie the bike down well.

I'd be looking to try to strap the bike down when it's on the ferry, particularly if its rough.

Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ha Ha, windshields--no debate there! :D

I think there are about 1000 threads and pics on them all ovr the board. :) And, its getting time for a new oil thread! :banana:
You go first, popgun. Tell us about your coyote oil. :clap:
 
Good idea. Not sure they have any tie-downs specifically for that purpose, but I will check when I take my Softail over in a couple of weeks..
 
We have several open deck ferries here that do the crossings in a short time (15 minutes or less) so we just stay with the bikes.
On the larger enclosed car ferries the ships provide tie-downs for motorcycles and you're encouraged to use them.
You can also bring your own as the ship tie-dawns are a bit ratty, but in either case, you'd be a fool to not use them.
We've always used just the sidestand and four tie-downs. The bikes were as solid as a rock on our trip across the Gulf of St. Lawrence from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland and back.
 
Nova Scotia is on my list for a trip. Whats the best time to go in your opinion ? I always tell people to come to Nantucket in September or October. The weather is beautiful and most of the summer hoard are gone.
 
I've been to Cape Cod and area a couple of times by car and it's beautiful there.
September is often one of the best months for riding in the Maritimes.
Right after Labor Day is a great time as the tourists have all gone, but all the tourist facilities (motels, restaurants, etc.) are still open.
It's very motorcycle friendly up here.
 
Back
Top