Show your lid

Nemo_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Let's see your helmet(s). I don't want this to be about the qualities we think make ours the best out there. Just show them and if there's a story behind it, tell it.

In my case, it seems my head was designed and manufactured by HJC because it is the only brand I've tried that have felt comfortable. On the left my 3/4 FG-Jet and on the right my modu IS-Max Elemental.



Whatcha got?
 
Nemo_imp said:
Let's see your helmet(s). I don't want this to be about the qualities we think make ours the best out there. Just show them and if there's a story behind it, tell it.

In my case, it seems my head was designed and manufactured by HJC because it is the only brand I've tried that have felt comfortable. On the left my 3/4 FG-Jet and on the right my modu IS-Max Elemental.



Whatcha got?
Have a silver Bell RS-1 (bought on clearance) with their transitions photo-chromic face shield which works VERY well in all light conditions. No longer need to worry about having a separate pair of sunglasses along since the face shield does it all smoothly and unobtrusively. Ventilation is well-designed and effective, but the overall effect is a bit of a noisy helmet. The Proline full-wrap neoprene chin/neck curtain makes a big difference in keeping the wind noise lower.

BTW, the extra bit on the side of the helmet is a U-Clear 100 Plus wireless unit that works pretty well for the price. Speakers are inside and there is no microphone boom to get in the way. Range can be up to 4/10 of a mile, and overall clarity and ease of use provide good value for the money.
fritz
 
Thread starter
Cool, Fritz! I have a Sena SMH10 system with a "docking" on each lid. Can't get away from the boom mic when using an open face or a modu.
 
fritzwilliger_imp said:

No worries fritz. And thank you!
Nemo_imp said:
The bubble shield is great. No distortion whatsoever. I went with the chrome version and was pleasantly surprised when I got stuck late at the office and had to ride home in the dark. Not ideal but I could see well enough that I didn't feel it was dangerous. During the day time, it does a decent job of blocking out the sun. Riding directly into the sun does require me to squint a bit but that's true with all but the darkest of shields.

I also have a flat, smoke shield that I used to wear on the Bonanza but stopped after it almost flew off when checking lanes at freeway speed. The helmet only has the three snaps along the front that you see in the photo. So far, the bubble shield feels more secure than the flat shield and I haven't experienced any close calls with it coming off. I routinely hit 75/80 mph during my commute.

The helmet itself is incredibly light. I've ridden with no shield and a pair of sunglasses and it feels great. I know it doesn't offer the same level of protection as my other helmets but, still, it's the one I've been wearing the most lately. As the temperature continues to drop, I'll likely revert back to the full-faced helmets more and more.
kmoney_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Okay, I'll play! Here are my primary helmets. I have two others that collect dust and didn't make the cut.

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/57AE71BF-7546-42C8-A4C8-7E844B95A29B.jpg.html]
From left to right: Bell RS-1, Bell Vortex, Bell Bullitt, and Biltwell Bonanza.

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/677735F7-6B3D-4DC3-A84C-80689DACEAED.jpg.html]
That Biltwell is awesome.
Thanks kmoney! It's ironic that I enjoy wearing the Biltwell the most and it cost me about $100 ($120 with the shield). My other helmets were between 2 and 5 times that amount.
 
225049f32f515e66b494b326e7e2378c.jpg


Schuberth C3 Modular

Pros:

>Quiet

>Comfortable – I ordered a size up and it’s still very snug but with no hot spots

>Inner visor that’s nice and long. The lever on lower left side of helmet is easy to operate

>Solid modular face shield lockup. Seems more crashworthy that my old HJC modular.

>Ratchet type chin strap – fast on and you can release it with 2 fingers.

Cons:

>Neck roll/chin pad is not removable. The tight seal makes for a quiet ride. But it’s likely to be a hot ride in the summer. Vents are good but only cool a small portion of your face and head. Visor detents stay open at speed. Good thing.

>For me it was hard to lock the modular face shield when I had the helmet is on. But I found a solution. I open the main visor and grasp the top of the chin bar with my right hand while holding the back of the helmet with my left hand. Easy peasy.

>No D ring so you can’t use a helmet lock.

Overall it’s a great helmet that’s amazing quiet in combination with ear plugs. And if you leave in a hurry and forget your ear plugs, noise level is still not too bad for short trips. Style is in the eye of the beholder but I like the clean look.

b8e48f29fe3980cab7d3a52aed69e3ff.jpg
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
225049f32f515e66b494b326e7e2378c.jpg


Schuberth C3 Modular

Pros:

>Quiet

>Comfortable – I ordered a size up and it’s still very snug but with no hot spots

>Inner visor that’s nice and long. The lever on lower left side of helmet is easy to operate

>Solid modular face shield lockup. Seems more crashworthy that my old HJC modular.

>Ratchet type chin strap – fast on and you can release it with 2 fingers.

Cons:

>Neck roll/chin pad is not removable. The tight seal makes for a quiet ride. But it’s likely to be a hot ride in the summer. Vents are good but only cool a small portion of your face and head. Visor detents stay open at speed. Good thing.

>For me it was hard to lock the modular face shield when I had the helmet is on. But I found a solution. I open the main visor and grasp the top of the chin bar with my right hand while holding the back of the helmet with my left hand. Easy peasy.

>No D ring so you can’t use a helmet lock.

Overall it’s a great helmet that’s amazing quiet in combination with ear plugs. And if you leave in a hurry and forget your ear plugs, noise level is still not too bad for short trips. Style is in the eye of the beholder but I like the clean look.

b8e48f29fe3980cab7d3a52aed69e3ff.jpg
Beast Helmet, CB4!
:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
DJS, how does the Scorpion shape compare to HJC? My next one will be a modular without the internal sun visor; I don't use it.
 
Back
Top