Should I Buy A New 2014?

Like this?

b3cfd71e9a3f23c70ef57e7a86f2495d.jpg
 
buy at 6k and invest what ever upgrades you can think of and you will still =be thousands under the 17
now if we got the rs maybe we talk a different talk but for know 14 black
 
The V45, while a great engine and a fun bike, is not fun to work on. Nothing quite sounds like a V45 (this is a good thing) and I'd be very hard pressed to ditch it in favor of the CB, the two would make great book ends.

The CB is a niche bike aimed at the "older" rider, mainly those of us that grew up on the classic inline fours of the 70's and early 80's. Styled like a "real" bike instead of a transformer I think it misses the mark when it comes to the younger crowd; but hey, few of them have the money to buy nice bikes like the CB; better to aim for the older guys with dreams to rehash and disposable income. :D

For its' intended market it is the perfect bike. If you want power, it has some fun if you dial up the rpm's to over 6K. A darker personality comes out. But I think she is happiest below 5K acting like a Buick.

While I think there are better bikes to tour on (after 40 years of design one would hope so!) but that said; it is more than capable of touring (we even had one Belgian couple that used them as "adventure" bikes) and you could do a lot worse. I think were it breaks down, the stator is undersized for touring toys like heated this and that, GPS, APRS etc. On the other hand, it does not weigh a half ton loaded up either - another good thing.

I think it excel on day rides, city riding, and taking on the twisty bits (it will not corner like a sport bike will will be fun for 80% of us).

I don't think the 2017 is different enough from the 2014 (and a strong case could be made for the 14 being a better looking machine); especially at the heavily discounted price of $6K. I'm tempted myself! I'll join the crowd of BUY IT!
 
Ferrett,
I really like your choice for saddle and tail bags.
I need a little more for cross country touring.
I added a tail rack to be able to attach a small
tent and 10 degree sleeping bag.
I added the Tour master Nylon Cruiser III Box Saddlebags - XL.
I needed the XL bags because I HATE using tank bags.
Also added the SW engine guards and custom painted comet fairing
with custom mounting.
Back in the day I criss crossed the country on a '81 CB750 and later on a '79 CB750F. I never had a single complaint or problem with either of them over the years.
Now that I have my 2014 CB1100 I expect I'll get even better performance and a more pleasant ride.
Only wish I had someone to share the ride with.
 
Tinboatcapt the bags and tank bag are Tourmaster, the trunk is Nelson Rigg, but I also use a Cortech tail bag sometimes which is a little smaller. They work for me even though they are on the smaller side because years of touring have taught me how to pack light and small. I know what I need ( don't need a lot) and what I don't need and don't take what I don't need or won't use. Layering and making everything do multiple jobs is the secret. If there is something I forgot or desperately need there is always a Walmart close by lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Tinboatcapt the bags and tank bag are Tourmaster, the trunk is Nelson Rigg, but I also use a Cortech tail bag sometimes which is a little smaller. They work for me even though they are on the smaller side because years of touring have taught me how to pack light and small. I know what I need ( don't need a lot) and what I don't need and don't take what I don't need or won't use. Layering and making everything do multiple jobs is the secret. If there is something I forgot or desperately need there is always a Walmart close by lol
I've seen it in person. He speaks the truth! :thumbsup:
 
Buy it, unless you prefer the aesthetics of the 2017 and can afford it.

I have a top box on mine, strap on a waterproof duffel and ride it all over the place. I'm sure there are better touring bikes, but it works fine for me. I've put 67,000 kms on a 2011 model I bought in 2013.
 
The CB 1100 is an excellent touring bike for endless miles. Of course not everywhere and for everyone. But for me it fits as I recently found out on a second longer roadtrip over 6.000km this year in the UK. The torquey big engine makes the CB run effortless, no matter how much equipment you use and let her carry it. Much more than the ferret load on it I guess.:P I use a lot as a motorbiker who is always camping instead of booking B&B or hotelrooms. For more comfort I've mounted highway pegs and a windshield. But I know that the seat and the seating position is not the best for everyone, I'm used to it and it works for me. If I would have had the choice to order a kardan instead of a chain drive I would have done it, because it makes it much easier to drive in rain which I had to do a lot on this years trip. What I also like about the CB is that it runs straight without shaking and wavering no matter how fast you ride and how fully it is packed. Brave bike. And despite from these it is total reliabe and everyone who saw it instantly liked it. ;)Also the fuel consumption isn't high, if you keep yourself back a bit, 42.000km with 4.64l averagely per 100km.



Wisedrum
 
gtmn_imp said:
buy at 6k and invest what ever upgrades you can think of and you will still =be thousands under the 17
now if we got the rs maybe we talk a different talk but for know 14 black
This! The cb1100 is one of my favorite bikes I've owned and you will absolutely be committing highway robbery purchasing at 6k. It is more than adequate in the power department (old bike was a 1900 stratoliner, super powerful ride). 2 up trip once a month with the gal and can pull nicely and our combined weight ia around 400 lbs. Have gotten up to 90 with a passenger with room to spare on the tach, not buzzy either. I think the bike rides better with a passenger lol.

Torque/power curve is very flat. Power all throughout the rev range though. Sometimes i find myself expecting a power surge around 4k rpms like my old nighthawk 750.

Detuned and over engineered engines usually mean very good reliability. I have almost 7k miles on the bike (6k this year, 5 months consistent riding) and have had no issues at all. Honda took their time with the cb1100 and developed a masterpiece, a gem.


Here is what i hope my cb looks like in the future black tank and side cover instead of blue though :)

4bea40112969bf49e6555f884238a3ef.jpg
 
Dude_imp said:
gtmn_imp said:
buy at 6k and invest what ever upgrades you can think of and you will still =be thousands under the 17
now if we got the rs maybe we talk a different talk but for know 14 black
This! The cb1100 is one of my favorite bikes I've owned and you will absolutely be committing highway robbery purchasing at 6k. It is more than adequate in the power department (old bike was a 1900 stratoliner, super powerful ride). 2 up trip once a month with the gal and can pull nicely and our combined weight ia around 400 lbs. Have gotten up to 90 with a passenger with room to spare on the tach, not buzzy either. I think the bike rides better with a passenger lol.

Torque/power curve is very flat. Power all throughout the rev range though. Sometimes i find myself expecting a power surge around 4k rpms like my old nighthawk 750.

Detuned and over engineered engines usually mean very good reliability. I have almost 7k miles on the bike (6k this year, 5 months consistent riding) and have had no issues at all. Honda took their time with the cb1100 and developed a masterpiece, a gem.


Here is what i hope my cb looks like in the future black tank and side cover instead of blue though :)

4bea40112969bf49e6555f884238a3ef.jpg
The CB certainly is, otherwise I won't ride it.

In my opinion the CB wakes up a little entering 4.000revs and above, more than it does down under, but I ride a 5 gear european model, maybe a different one with engine adjustments to fit this market than it is the case in the US.

Wisedrum
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
Dude_imp said:
gtmn_imp said:
buy at 6k and invest what ever upgrades you can think of and you will still =be thousands under the 17
now if we got the rs maybe we talk a different talk but for know 14 black
This! The cb1100 is one of my favorite bikes I've owned and you will absolutely be committing highway robbery purchasing at 6k. It is more than adequate in the power department (old bike was a 1900 stratoliner, super powerful ride). 2 up trip once a month with the gal and can pull nicely and our combined weight ia around 400 lbs. Have gotten up to 90 with a passenger with room to spare on the tach, not buzzy either. I think the bike rides better with a passenger lol.

Torque/power curve is very flat. Power all throughout the rev range though. Sometimes i find myself expecting a power surge around 4k rpms like my old nighthawk 750.

Detuned and over engineered engines usually mean very good reliability. I have almost 7k miles on the bike (6k this year, 5 months consistent riding) and have had no issues at all. Honda took their time with the cb1100 and developed a masterpiece, a gem.


Here is what i hope my cb looks like in the future black tank and side cover instead of blue though :)

4bea40112969bf49e6555f884238a3ef.jpg
The CB certainly is, otherwise I won't ride it.

In my opinion the CB wakes up a little entering 4.000revs and above, more than it does down under, but I ride a 5 gear european model, maybe a different one with engine adjustments to fit this market than it is the case in the US.

Wisedrum
The CB certainly is, otherwise I won't ride it.

In my opinion the CB wakes up a little entering 4.000revs and above, more than it does down under, but I ride a 5 gear european model, maybe a different one with engine adjustments to fit this market than it is the case in the US.

Wisedrum
I have a 6 gear model and rarely have to go above 3.5k on the revs. Control that right hand Wisedrum! Lol :D
 
Everything is under control, even the uncontrolled things.
They just have their own special way of being.

Besides, the CB runs nicely above 3.500revs, of course nicely too in lower revs.
One should not neglect this rev area too much, the CB likes it and is also build for it..... the 6 gear Honda has a way to long gear ratio.......the one of the 5 gear CB is quite long...

Wisedrum
 
TINK_imp said:
daveheinze_imp said:
Hey Guys, I'm a newbie here, but have been lurking a while. I currently ride a V45 Magna, but am looking for something a little newer and reliable. There are dealers here in WI advertising 2014 CB1100s for 6 grand. That seems a great deal, but why didn't these bikes sell?
daveheize,

Buy the 2014, it's a smokin' deal. You will not regret it.

Ya, the 2017 has several desirable updates, and if you have the money to throw around, it may be worth it to you, but... the 2017 is, at it's core, identical to the 2014 (6-speed, etc.).

As for power; Don't listen to the magazines/bloggers/forums. Their baseline for comparison are the current crop of high HP sport bikes.
The power of the CB1100 is more than adequate. Do you need a 750HP Hemi powered car? Or will a Honda Accord do? You decide.

Why did the 2014 Standard (black version) not sell? Well, because the wizards at Honda were trying to go head-to-head in the young hipster market against the likes of the Triumphs. The 2014 Deluxe (a true retro looking bike, IMHO) sold out as fast as they made them, why, because us old geezers who remember the CB750 bought them.

Don't sit on the fence, buy it.
As good as the old Magna was back in the day, let's face it, keeping and old bike on the road is a full time job... Wouldn't you rather be riding than wrenching?

TINK
daveheize,

Buy the 2014, it's a smokin' deal. You will not regret it.

Ya, the 2017 has several desirable updates, and if you have the money to throw around, it may be worth it to you, but... the 2017 is, at it's core, identical to the 2014 (6-speed, etc.).

As for power; Don't listen to the magazines/bloggers/forums. Their baseline for comparison are the current crop of high HP sport bikes.
The power of the CB1100 is more than adequate. Do you need a 750HP Hemi powered car? Or will a Honda Accord do? You decide.

Why did the 2014 Standard (black version) not sell? Well, because the wizards at Honda were trying to go head-to-head in the young hipster market against the likes of the Triumphs. The 2014 Deluxe (a true retro looking bike, IMHO) sold out as fast as they made them, why, because us old geezers who remember the CB750 bought them.

Don't sit on the fence, buy it.
As good as the old Magna was back in the day, let's face it, keeping and old bike on the road is a full time job... Wouldn't you rather be riding than wrenching?

TINK
Either Triumph Bonnevilles aren't hipster bikes or the industry has overestimated how many hipsters want to ride motorcycles! Go look at dealer inventory for 2017 Bonnevilles, there are tons of black ones sitting on dealer showrooms unwanted.

My advice to the OP would be to either get a low-mileage non-ABS 2013 or, if you can stand a black bike, then a new 2014. These are where the deals are to be had.
 
I just bought a new 2014 Honda CB 1100. I was looking at a BMW Dakar, but they are way too tall for me. I was sadly walking around a showroom and there was a magic creature in the corner. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A magical unicorn. I ended up with a 2014 (with 700 miles) with about $2500 in custom upgrades for $5500. It is the single best bike I have every owned. I am so so glad I got. They are amazing.
 
Welcome and congrats Storitelr!
 
storitelr_imp said:
I just bought a new 2014 Honda CB 1100. I was looking at a BMW Dakar, but they are way too tall for me. I was sadly walking around a showroom and there was a magic creature in the corner. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A magical unicorn. I ended up with a 2014 (with 700 miles) with about $2500 in custom upgrades for $5500. It is the single best bike I have every owned. I am so so glad I got. They are amazing.
Awesomr, you'll love it
 
Back
Top