Should I adjust my crank balancer?

DutchRutter

Running like a top
Thread starter
I probably looked into this a bit too much and have myself worried over nothing so I figured I would ask here. I am still pretty new to the bike but I have been noticing some slight vibration in the bars (I am going to be reinstalling the OEM bar weights and going away from the bar end mirrors), gear "chatter" (I wouldn't say an abnormal amount), and most every gear shift has a pretty loud but positive clack to it.

I checked the current setting and It looks on the "tight" side?

4a1652142348226d0cbb4861cc939210.jpg


I'm a little nervous about attempting the adjustment as I really don't want to screw anything up. I am open to all suggestions and flogging.

On a side note: last weekend I replaced all of the brake pads, brake fluid and the nasty clutch fluid. All of that went normal "working on a Honda" smooth.

Thanks!
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Leave it alone.

Seriously- put down the wrench and step away from the bike.

:)
Just the reply I was hoping to get!

I really think that chasing the buzzing bars had me going down some voodoo rabbit holes. About 30 minutes or so on the bike and my finger tips have been going numb. I'm betting that returning to the factory bar weight setup instead of no weights and bar end mirrors will help if not almost eliminate the problem.

Thanks for keeping me sane dubs :beerchug:
 
DutchRutter_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Leave it alone.

Seriously- put down the wrench and step away from the bike.

:)
Just the reply I was hoping to get!

I really think that chasing the buzzing bars had me going down some voodoo rabbit holes. About 30 minutes or so on the bike and my finger tips have been going numb. I'm betting that returning to the factory bar weight setup instead of no weights and bar end mirrors will help if not almost eliminate the problem.

Thanks for keeping me sane dubs :beerchug:

Normal even with the weights. Many guys have put grip puppies on to help.

I had them for a while but then took them back off and just focus on having a loose grip and that makes all the difference in the world.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
DutchRutter_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Leave it alone.

Seriously- put down the wrench and step away from the bike.

:)
Just the reply I was hoping to get!

I really think that chasing the buzzing bars had me going down some voodoo rabbit holes. About 30 minutes or so on the bike and my finger tips have been going numb. I'm betting that returning to the factory bar weight setup instead of no weights and bar end mirrors will help if not almost eliminate the problem.

Thanks for keeping me sane dubs :beerchug:

Normal even with the weights. Many guys have put grip puppies on to help.

I had them for a while but then took them back off and just focus on having a loose grip and that makes all the difference in the world.

Normal even with the weights. Many guys have put grip puppies on to help.

I had them for a while but then took them back off and just focus on having a loose grip and that makes all the difference in the world.
At this point I'll give anything a try. Ordered up a set. At first I thought it was my new and tight joe rocket gloves breaking in. I swapped to my well broken in MX gloves and focused on having a loose grip. Still had some numbness but not AS bad so I think it'll just take time more then anything.

I never had this happen with any of my thumper bikes even after hours of straight riding. I'm thinking the seating position of the CB puts more pressure on my hands then the others but either way we'll get there. Thanks for the input dubs! NGL I was a bit disappointed thinking I wouldn't be able to use the CB for any touring like I had planned.
 
When the topic of bar vibration comes up in the context of the CB1100, I'm always surprised. I don't think that I'm particularly insensitive to it, but there isn't even a hint of vibration in my '17. Really, nothing at all, at any rpm or speed.

My bike is bone stock (other than the tank, seat and side covers anyway) and I wonder if some of these older bikes have modifications that might somehow be contributing.

The topic comes up often enough that I'm not questioning that it's a real "thing"...but it's a mystery how it'd be a problem for some bikes and completely not present in others...
 
You must be really sensitive to 4 cyl vibes. Many of us do indeed use the CB for touring. I have ridden mine from Arkansas to Ohio 698 miles in 12 hours stopping only for gas and a gatorade and granola bar. Ridden it several times from Ohio to North Carolina. I'm getting ready to ride to Rhode Island via the east coast and back.

One member has toured all 48 states on his.
 
Vibration really wasn't a problem, but I installed Grip Puppies anyway as a cushion against the hard rubber factory grips.
 
Dutch, I think once you get the weights in the bars, you will see a big improvement. My stock '13 has no vibration in the bars. I hope you soon have the bike performing the way you expected.
 
DutchRutter_imp said:
I probably looked into this a bit too much and have myself worried over nothing so I figured I would ask here. I am still pretty new to the bike but I have been noticing some slight vibration in the bars (I am going to be reinstalling the OEM bar weights and going away from the bar end mirrors), gear "chatter" (I wouldn't say an abnormal amount), and most every gear shift has a pretty loud but positive clack to it.

I checked the current setting and It looks on the "tight" side?

4a1652142348226d0cbb4861cc939210.jpg


I'm a little nervous about attempting the adjustment as I really don't want to screw anything up. I am open to all suggestions and flogging.

On a side note: last weekend I replaced all of the brake pads, brake fluid and the nasty clutch fluid. All of that went normal "working on a Honda" smooth.

Thanks!
I have cranked this set screw full clockwise and counterclockwise on the CB1100 to see if I could improve anything. At the time - no. The setting was put right back to where it was before.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone! Last I rode it I remember feeling a vibration in the bars around the 3000 RPM mark. Now, since I bought the bike used. The previous owner already had removed the factory weights and installed the bar end mirrors. Which also means I don't know how the bike is stock. I was also wearing a back pack so that might have something to do with it.

When I replaced the small round bar ends I just slapped on another set of bar ends because it was cheaper then going back to the factory setup. Probably a mistake. So now I'm waiting for motosport to send out the new parts. I did just receive my grip puppies but I am waiting to install them for now. I'm kinda interested in trying it piece by piece to see just how things react.

I also ordered a bar cross brace from motowolf (mainly to mount my phone a bit more visibly) but I figured it might help with the vibration too.

I'll make sure to post up more findings once I get some parts on it and get to ride it more.
 
I added heavier bar weights to both of my CB1100, and I really noticed very little difference, as both bikes are so smooth to begin with, but I though an extra 4oz couldn't hurt.
 
Over the years, any number of people have complained on this forum about this bike's bar vibrations at around 3,000-4,500 rpm. Others don't seem to notice. I do notice it sometimes, but it is not significant enough to worry me.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Over the years, any number of people have complained on this forum about this bike's bar vibrations at around 3,000-4,500 rpm. Others don't seem to notice. I do notice it sometimes, but it is not significant enough to worry me.
(+1) The comment seems spot on for me too.

Yes, Grip Puppies help meaningfully, as it is well-written throughout the Forum. Sometimes on long hauls when fatigue might set in, I have noticed it in the foot pegs, otherwise I do not notice it.
 
DutchRutter_imp said:
I probably looked into this a bit too much and have myself worried over nothing so I figured I would ask here. I am still pretty new to the bike but I have been noticing some slight vibration in the bars (I am going to be reinstalling the OEM bar weights and going away from the bar end mirrors), gear "chatter" (I wouldn't say an abnormal amount), and most every gear shift has a pretty loud but positive clack to it.

I checked the current setting and It looks on the "tight" side?

4a1652142348226d0cbb4861cc939210.jpg


I'm a little nervous about attempting the adjustment as I really don't want to screw anything up. I am open to all suggestions and flogging.

On a side note: last weekend I replaced all of the brake pads, brake fluid and the nasty clutch fluid. All of that went normal "working on a Honda" smooth.

Thanks!
My bike was missing the bar end weights when I bought it and I noticed slight vibration. I bought a new set and the vibration is gone.
 
Thread starter
Been a little bit. But I finally have some feedback here.

Right after my last posting, I went through and de-glazed my brake rotors. I should probably have done that when I installed the new EBC HH Pads but I did not. After doing that I have not noticed the harsh vibration that I felt that one day. They we're pretty bad, I could literally see the bars vibrating.

I did however already order everything, which showed up yesterday. I got everything on and took it out for a shorter ride today in between weather breaks. Adding the factory weights back in the bars definitely smoothed everything out even more. I'm pretty confident that I wont have any issues even on the longest of rides now.

I wouldn't say that I am as happy about the look of these new mirrors (I have to angle them pretty high to see more then just the ground on either side, right behind the bike) But I feel that I can probably live with that over numb fingers. I wouldn't say the look is BAD just not as slick and cool looking as the bar ends.

I am currently still waiting on my motowolf bar brace, and I'm hoping to order those blaze saddle bags this month so I don't have to wear a backpack to and from work anymore.

c13f530fabff8cd682dd859a2ec3959d.jpg
 
Back
Top