Shoei RF1400 Nocturne

Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
I like this helmet.
If it were mine, I would add some color accents to the top because it looks too bald :cool:
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'll tell ya what, Pdedse, if you want something vintage in a similar color pattern, if you haven't checked out the HJC V10, I tried one on not too long ago, and it's very comfortable, and isn't useless for having vintage style. And not too spendy.
Thank you...I actually did see that one and like the color scheme. It's a cream colored white, or light beige. They have an attractive pure white and light blue in the same pattern, but I like the red striped one better. Here's a look from the back...it even looks to have some thin "hair" covering the top to satisfy PB.
e65c814c1793e06cfd7b53c9c5ebc5f1.jpg


Good to know you found it comfortable because I remember your comment about that Torq helmet that I tried out--about it was too round, and that's how it fit, or didn't fit me, too. The V10s do not have the interior sun-visors that other flavors of HJC have. I have not found any V10s in local stores. I'll have to call around.

I also like this V10, a "grape beige". A funky look, but it's growing on me.
a417568160b7d820348b360b4dcd50f9.jpg


One thing I like about it is that it gets away from the "star-wars-storm-trooper" look of the cream and red.

But I'm zero for 2 with on-line orders of late. I'd really like to find a place that sells these so I can try out a medium vs. a large. Still, as the rains persist, it's a fun hunt.
 
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I like this helmet.
If it were mine, I would add some color accents to the top because it looks too bald :cool:
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'll tell ya what, Pdedse, if you want something vintage in a similar color pattern, if you haven't checked out the HJC V10, I tried one on not too long ago, and it's very comfortable, and isn't useless for having vintage style. And not too spendy.
Thank you...I actually did see that one and like the color scheme. It's a cream colored white, or light beige. They have an attractive pure white and light blue in the same pattern, but I like the red striped one better. Here's a look from the back...it even looks to have some thin "hair" covering the top to satisfy PB.
e65c814c1793e06cfd7b53c9c5ebc5f1.jpg


Good to know you found it comfortable because I remember your comment about that Torq helmet that I tried out--about it was too round, and that's how it fit, or didn't fit me, too. The V10s do not have the interior sun-visors that other flavors of HJC have. I have not found any V10s in local stores. I'll have to call around.

I also like this V10, a "grape beige". A funky look, but it's growing on me.
a417568160b7d820348b360b4dcd50f9.jpg


One thing I like about it is that it gets away from the "star-wars-storm-trooper" look of the cream and red.

But I'm zero for 2 with on-line orders of late. I'd really like to find a place that sells these so I can try out a medium vs. a large. Still, as the rains persist, it's a fun hunt.
How unique lookin'.
 
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I like this helmet.
If it were mine, I would add some color accents to the top because it looks too bald :cool:
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'll tell ya what, Pdedse, if you want something vintage in a similar color pattern, if you haven't checked out the HJC V10, I tried one on not too long ago, and it's very comfortable, and isn't useless for having vintage style. And not too spendy.
Thank you...I actually did see that one and like the color scheme. It's a cream colored white, or light beige. They have an attractive pure white and light blue in the same pattern, but I like the red striped one better. Here's a look from the back...it even looks to have some thin "hair" covering the top to satisfy PB.
e65c814c1793e06cfd7b53c9c5ebc5f1.jpg


Good to know you found it comfortable because I remember your comment about that Torq helmet that I tried out--about it was too round, and that's how it fit, or didn't fit me, too. The V10s do not have the interior sun-visors that other flavors of HJC have. I have not found any V10s in local stores. I'll have to call around.

I also like this V10, a "grape beige". A funky look, but it's growing on me.
a417568160b7d820348b360b4dcd50f9.jpg


One thing I like about it is that it gets away from the "star-wars-storm-trooper" look of the cream and red.

But I'm zero for 2 with on-line orders of late. I'd really like to find a place that sells these so I can try out a medium vs. a large. Still, as the rains persist, it's a fun hunt.
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
:rofl:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I like this helmet.
If it were mine, I would add some color accents to the top because it looks too bald :cool:
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'll tell ya what, Pdedse, if you want something vintage in a similar color pattern, if you haven't checked out the HJC V10, I tried one on not too long ago, and it's very comfortable, and isn't useless for having vintage style. And not too spendy.
Thank you...I actually did see that one and like the color scheme. It's a cream colored white, or light beige. They have an attractive pure white and light blue in the same pattern, but I like the red striped one better. Here's a look from the back...it even looks to have some thin "hair" covering the top to satisfy PB.
e65c814c1793e06cfd7b53c9c5ebc5f1.jpg


Good to know you found it comfortable because I remember your comment about that Torq helmet that I tried out--about it was too round, and that's how it fit, or didn't fit me, too. The V10s do not have the interior sun-visors that other flavors of HJC have. I have not found any V10s in local stores. I'll have to call around.

I also like this V10, a "grape beige". A funky look, but it's growing on me.
a417568160b7d820348b360b4dcd50f9.jpg


One thing I like about it is that it gets away from the "star-wars-storm-trooper" look of the cream and red.

But I'm zero for 2 with on-line orders of late. I'd really like to find a place that sells these so I can try out a medium vs. a large. Still, as the rains persist, it's a fun hunt.
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
:rofl:
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
:rofl:
:thumbsup:
 
I'd like to say that the "comb-over" pinstripes along the top of that helmet would match me, but sadly I'd have to go back a few years even for that.

Luck of the draw finding it on my end, a local dealer stocks a few so I tried one on. Also have a Revzilla store nearby, and I think they stock it there too.
 
The ferret_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
I like this helmet.
If it were mine, I would add some color accents to the top because it looks too bald :cool:
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'll tell ya what, Pdedse, if you want something vintage in a similar color pattern, if you haven't checked out the HJC V10, I tried one on not too long ago, and it's very comfortable, and isn't useless for having vintage style. And not too spendy.
Thank you...I actually did see that one and like the color scheme. It's a cream colored white, or light beige. They have an attractive pure white and light blue in the same pattern, but I like the red striped one better. Here's a look from the back...it even looks to have some thin "hair" covering the top to satisfy PB.
e65c814c1793e06cfd7b53c9c5ebc5f1.jpg


Good to know you found it comfortable because I remember your comment about that Torq helmet that I tried out--about it was too round, and that's how it fit, or didn't fit me, too. The V10s do not have the interior sun-visors that other flavors of HJC have. I have not found any V10s in local stores. I'll have to call around.

I also like this V10, a "grape beige". A funky look, but it's growing on me.
a417568160b7d820348b360b4dcd50f9.jpg


One thing I like about it is that it gets away from the "star-wars-storm-trooper" look of the cream and red.

But I'm zero for 2 with on-line orders of late. I'd really like to find a place that sells these so I can try out a medium vs. a large. Still, as the rains persist, it's a fun hunt.
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
:rofl:
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
:rofl:
:thumbsup:
Well for some of us, the look would match the owner!
:rofl:
:thumbsup:
The Ferret is in that team :P
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'd like to say that the "comb-over" pinstripes along the top of that helmet would match me, but sadly I'd have to go back a few years even for that.

Luck of the draw finding it on my end, a local dealer stocks a few so I tried one on. Also have a Revzilla store nearby, and I think they stock it there too.
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'd like to say that the "comb-over" pinstripes along the top of that helmet would match me, but sadly I'd have to go back a few years even for that.

Luck of the draw finding it on my end, a local dealer stocks a few so I tried one on. Also have a Revzilla store nearby, and I think they stock it there too.
Gone, would you mind checking with that Revzilla store to see if they have the V10 "Tami red/beige" in medium?

Went in yesterday to a shop with lots of HJC helments, called around and I've spent an unhealthy amount of time net searching, but this helmet is a '23 and the HJC catalogue does not show it for '24 models. Solid colors are available, the white/blue is as well. Some extra small, extra large red/beige ones out there, but no mediums.

Was able to try out a Shoei RF1400 large, and it was too loose--the medium I purchased too tight, so no Goldilocks moment there.

I tried on the the HJC i71, and must say it is a very nice fit in medium. Very snug in a good way, pulling on/off felt like a new helmet should, tight but but painful. I do wonder whether medium is constant across the HJC lineup.
 
Sorry, Pdedse. Stopped in the RevZilla store on my hike yesterday and they had cycled the V10 out of their display rotation. Seems with all the helmets they have, some get limited time shelf space.

On a side note, your RF1400 is a staple however. Yesterday at that store I overheard a guy helping his girlfriend pick out a helmet. “You need a 1400. It’s the best.” They had your pattern but not in red/green.

Del Amo Motorsports is a chain out here and the location between home and work had the V10 last time I looked. I can check it out during the week for ya. Being a regular motorcycle dealer, they do the closed on Sunday and Monday thing.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Sorry, Pdedse. Stopped in the RevZilla store on my hike yesterday and they had cycled the V10 out of their display rotation. Seems with all the helmets they have, some get limited time shelf space.

On a side note, your RF1400 is a staple however. Yesterday at that store I overheard a guy helping his girlfriend pick out a helmet. “You need a 1400. It’s the best.” They had your pattern but not in red/green.

Del Amo Motorsports is a chain out here and the location between home and work had the V10 last time I looked. I can check it out during the week for ya. Being a regular motorcycle dealer, they do the closed on Sunday and Monday thing.
Ok, thanks! I figured somewhere, in some local mc shop there might be a V10 medium in beige/red. There's one place NY that supposedly does have 3. I'll give them a call. But their return policy is 20% restock plus customer pays for return shipping. I know I like the look, but after the Shoei medium being a poor fit, I'm a little wary of one HJC fitting well (the i71) while another (the V10) might not.

I could likely wear the Shoei RF1400 large, it's snug to a degree, but there's still something catching on back of my left ear...and it's at $580, steep for me. The HJC i71 in a color I think is agreeable is only $270 and it fits like a glove, so I might go with this:
dca22ac0b594a9d77c508e55883271db.jpg


A lot of white (particularly the back), some soft grey, blue and orange...a little busy but one that grows on me. And it's readily available. I'm just looking for something brigher, a bit of color after mainly mono-color, greys and dark grey helmets.
 
That looks cool… shoulda kept the orange Interceptor, it would have been a good match:)
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
That looks cool… shoulda kept the orange Interceptor, it would have been a good match:)
So true, but I did replace it with a blue W800.
 
Thread starter
Was checking out models from a Shoei Europe on-line catalogue for 2024 to see what's coming up. Had never heard of the the "Glamster" model; sure do like the way they look:

ce84fb51e40ccde405098e492fb19830.jpg


981aa69bb7d569e05fcdee4478228520.jpg


35343b63c6caa6a3df3e56d7464c3ddb.jpg


0fb26f7ca0b18ced3e55435e79986307.jpg


Found one Italian place that looks like they'll send to the US, just under $600 shipped.

If the darn weather would cooperate, I'd get out and ride instead of helmet shopping. :cool:
 
Well, Pdedse, swung by that dealer I mentioned on the way home. Saw your white/red/green Nocturne, very pretty.

They had the HJC V10 in two colorways. Flat black, and this, ahem, busy-looking design. I might be assuming too much by saying it might not be your style.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, Pdedse, swung by that dealer I mentioned on the way home. Saw your white/red/green Nocturne, very pretty.

They had the HJC V10 in two colorways. Flat black, and this, ahem, busy-looking design. I might be assuming too much by saying it might not be your style.
Ah...thanks for taking the time to check them out. I think it's great looking helmet. Did you happen to notice what size they had it in? I scoured the net looking for the medium I tried. I still find it strange that they reduced the opening by a good 3/4". I compared the rear base-thickness of a few other types of Shoei helmets and the RF 1400 was the only one that was obviously thicker. Two other styles had "normal" thickness and both helmets in medium fit me perfectly. I must have a weird shaped head right where the ears connect. To a lesser degree, even the large RF-1400s were getting caught up while taking off.

Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, Pdedse, swung by that dealer I mentioned on the way home. Saw your white/red/green Nocturne, very pretty.

They had the HJC V10 in two colorways. Flat black, and this, ahem, busy-looking design. I might be assuming too much by saying it might not be your style.
Eureka!!! You found my second choice.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, Pdedse, swung by that dealer I mentioned on the way home. Saw your white/red/green Nocturne, very pretty.

They had the HJC V10 in two colorways. Flat black, and this, ahem, busy-looking design. I might be assuming too much by saying it might not be your style.
Ah...thanks for taking the time to check them out. I think it's great looking helmet. Did you happen to notice what size they had it in? I scoured the net looking for the medium I tried. I still find it strange that they reduced the opening by a good 3/4". I compared the rear base-thickness of a few other types of Shoei helmets and the RF 1400 was the only one that was obviously thicker. Two other styles had "normal" thickness and both helmets in medium fit me perfectly. I must have a weird shaped head right where the ears connect. To a lesser degree, even the large RF-1400s were getting caught up while taking off.

Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, Pdedse, swung by that dealer I mentioned on the way home. Saw your white/red/green Nocturne, very pretty.

They had the HJC V10 in two colorways. Flat black, and this, ahem, busy-looking design. I might be assuming too much by saying it might not be your style.
Eureka!!! You found my second choice.
Well, see, that's why you should never assume.

Here's a clearer look at this beauty.
HJC HELMETS AMERICA
BTW, while I wanted to help you find your new helmet, pdedse, I had an alterior motive. I figured visiting a motorcycle dealership would yield a variety of bikes in the parking lot that I could take a photo with, to get my submission in for the monthly photo challenge.

Unfortunately, the only other bike in the parking lot at the time was a ratty old R1 "stunta" bike, spray-bombed in day-glo yellow. And a phalanx of Vanderhall three-wheelers that I don't think the dealership is having much luck moving.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, Pdedse, swung by that dealer I mentioned on the way home. Saw your white/red/green Nocturne, very pretty.

They had the HJC V10 in two colorways. Flat black, and this, ahem, busy-looking design. I might be assuming too much by saying it might not be your style.
Ah...thanks for taking the time to check them out. I think it's great looking helmet. Did you happen to notice what size they had it in? I scoured the net looking for the medium I tried. I still find it strange that they reduced the opening by a good 3/4". I compared the rear base-thickness of a few other types of Shoei helmets and the RF 1400 was the only one that was obviously thicker. Two other styles had "normal" thickness and both helmets in medium fit me perfectly. I must have a weird shaped head right where the ears connect. To a lesser degree, even the large RF-1400s were getting caught up while taking off.

Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, Pdedse, swung by that dealer I mentioned on the way home. Saw your white/red/green Nocturne, very pretty.

They had the HJC V10 in two colorways. Flat black, and this, ahem, busy-looking design. I might be assuming too much by saying it might not be your style.
Eureka!!! You found my second choice.
Well, see, that's why you should never assume.

Here's a clearer look at this beauty.
HJC HELMETS AMERICA
BTW, while I wanted to help you find your new helmet, pdedse, I had an alterior motive. I figured visiting a motorcycle dealership would yield a variety of bikes in the parking lot that I could take a photo with, to get my submission in for the monthly photo challenge.

Unfortunately, the only other bike in the parking lot at the time was a ratty old R1 "stunta" bike, spray-bombed in day-glo yellow. And a phalanx of Vanderhall three-wheelers that I don't think the dealership is having much luck moving.
Hey at least you tried to get a good shot!

I returned the beautiful Shoei Nocturne...such a shame. But, today the HJC i71 Iorix arrived. I thought the Nocturne cream/red/green color scheme was going to be difficult to beat. But this one passes my "white with some color" test just fine:
55c8e8dbccf7a729acfa3585ab34b7e1.jpg


There's some very light blue, almost acqua, mixed with the grey and orange striping.

b226d8520c03abd267b5c19a7170c405.jpg


I prefer less obvious vents and a more smooth surface all around the helmet, but at least the black open / close tab works easily enough
dc1cb8a0d262ff8bc27b22ce509877ee.jpg


035db62778bcd9b35025ac3a795b02a6.jpg


Fit feels great, goes on snug as a bug, no immediate hot spots.
6e585293b98127087c12425ccfb27616.jpg


c94d1a71b0ea47b2b8165d65e4cb1992.jpg


And the interior sun visor is a first for me. Easy to manipulate the slide mechanism:


Now I'm excited to test it out. Weather forecast calls for a dry spell beginning Wednesday, and sunny skies and high 60s for a week. Should be fun.
 
Back
Top