Shoei RF1400 Nocturne

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
I gave a Torq helmet a try back in September, but I think I was just kidding myself as my oval noggin' wouldn't quite take to the Torq's round shape.

I looked long and hard for a light colored one that I liked. I went to a couple of stores and tried on an HJC i71. Felt really nice, but all white was just too bright--I guess that's the point, to be seen, but I didn't like the look. Their solid colors were ok, but not what I wanted this time around.

Kept looking and looking, but nada for a good week of internet searching. I've had two Shoei helmets and they simply fit me like a glove in medium. But most current prices are in the $650 range and up; a few crazy graffic ones are on sale, but not my style. The RF-SR are on sale at $400, but again solid colors or bright white; still, a decent price for a Shoei.

Then I found this one, an RF-1400 "Nocturne"
55b523de91524c5ba400da0d925ef4e1.jpg


Hmmm...I was intrigued, but first few sites I found were selling them at regular prices, $670.

But then I started seeing some on sale for $600
029ddb50d890319cb36ea7d87c180bbb.jpg


Sure was looking nice from different angles...
3f95db058f757a564485536262b2e06b.jpg


I started seeing the cream and white contrast which is what makes it look less bright than other whites
ea50989fffd65daecaea9ed89e9edcc3.jpg


More searches and I found one at $470. And the red / green w/ bottom black was really starting to grow on me.
0c03686bce72de37dad521abbd35fc1a.jpg


Pulled the trigger as a place in NY had my size...but, alas, they emailed me back after I placed the order saying they had just run out of mediums. Ah well...

But then I found another site. A little more at $512; I called to confirm it was in stock...yes it was. Shoot, really more than I wanted to spend...but darn it the look grew on me. Should be here by Wednesday.

Not a fan of the too dark face shield (it comes with a clear one), but I'll be getting a light smoke shield.
a92e8c96222bb8d4e73b2fdcef8420da.jpg


The two Shoei helmets I have were great fits, the one I tried on at the store was just as nice, so I'm hopeful this one will be too. Def. more than I originally planned on spending, but I sure do like the color scheme. Looks Italian-flavored, but I'm buying it to please my Mexican neighbors and friends.
 
Looks like a great helmet, pdedse. Look out forward to hearing more after it arrives.
 
As a long time rf1400 wearer I can strongly vouch for this helmet in terms of available safety, comfort, and practicality. Honestly probably the very best non-racing homologated helmet you can buy in North America for the money.
 
That is a great looking helmet, and I like the colors and design. If it feels as good as it looks, you are in business. Congratulations!
:biker:
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
As a long time rf1400 wearer I can strongly vouch for this helmet in terms of available safety, comfort, and practicality. Honestly probably the very best non-racing homologated helmet you can buy in North America for the money.
Well that's cool to hear that you wear and really like it. Online reviews are positive. The red does match the CB1100 and green is my favorite color...vanities that I'll allow myself this time around .

I'm told that I shouldn't, but I still have my original Shoei I purchased 20 years ago. I wear it when friends visit and we ride the CB and whatever else is in the garage. Now I can let that one go and leave current Shoei as backup.
 
pdedse_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
As a long time rf1400 wearer I can strongly vouch for this helmet in terms of available safety, comfort, and practicality. Honestly probably the very best non-racing homologated helmet you can buy in North America for the money.
Well that's cool to hear that you wear and really like it. Online reviews are positive. The red does match the CB1100 and green is my favorite color...vanities that I'll allow myself this time around .

I'm told that I shouldn't, but I still have my original Shoei I purchased 20 years ago. I wear it when friends visit and we ride the CB and whatever else is in the garage. Now I can let that one go and leave current Shoei as backup.
Shhh... I occasionally wear my Shoei X-11. Sometimes the Neotec 2 is just too dang heavy against the wind.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Nice thing about the Shoei's is you can usually get a transitions shield for them. A bit pricey but well worth it.
... same with Klim Krios Pro.

The Transitions shields are convenient.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Nice thing about the Shoei's is you can usually get a transitions shield for them. A bit pricey but well worth it.
Except for the Neotec's anyway. :-/
 
Been working an event in FL till this morning, out of the loop!

That is a sweet looking helmet! Yeah, all the promo pics show a dark shield, but you never get that.
Red, white and green. You know what that means, don't you?

You'll need to buy something Italian now.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Been working an event in FL till this morning, out of the loop!

That is a sweet looking helmet! Yeah, all the promo pics show a dark shield, but you never get that.
Red, white and green. You know what that means, don't you?

You'll need to buy something Italian now.
Nope...I decided that this red/white/green was to make my neighbor friend of Mexican descent happy. He's a transplant from the Bay area, a wild fan of the Golden State Warrios and San Francisco 49s. His 49s have now lost two superbowls to my Kansas City Chiefs (I was raised in the area), and so he won't even look at me when I wear my KC jersey as I hop on my bikes. Once he sees the helmet, I think I'll get a thumbs up.

Added plus, if I ever ride into MX again, I think I'll get favorable treatment with this Shoei helmet.

Wait! I nearly forgot...my OTHER neighbor hails from Italy and France (not kidding) and loves all things Italian. I am set!
 
Well, sounds like you have a plan. I was thinking you could get a Mexican motorcycle, like those CG125s we were talking about a few weeks ago. But not sure a pizza delivery bike would be as worthy of matching a helmet to as a Ducati.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, sounds like you have a plan. I was thinking you could get a Mexican motorcycle, like those CG125s we were talking about a few weeks ago. But not sure a pizza delivery bike would be as worthy of matching a helmet to as a Ducati.
I do like those Ducati scramblers; test rode once...very fun.
 
... and now every time you wear that helmet, someone will ask you what kind of Ducati you have.
 
Thread starter
I received the helmet, and its colors really stand out in person. It did look to be an open box item in that it had some gooy smudge on the side of it, but it wiped right off.

I was excited to try it out...a bit tight going on, quite snug all around, fairly tight at the cheeks, but no immediate discomfort. But then I tried pulling it off...ouch! That pinched the cartiledge on the backside of both ears...I mean, it was a struggle! Tried it 3 or 4 times more over an hour. Going on, it's tight, then plop! it's on. But taking it off was downright painful. I tried moving it this and that way figuring a better angle would help, but nope...my wife even commented looking at the backs of my earis...'do that a few more times and you're gonna get blisters!'...Strange.

I've had 2 Shoeis before, both medium. Over the years when at a mc shop, I've tried on this or that new Shoei helmet and just recently tried on a Shoei RF-SR...always medium, always a nice, how-you-want-it-to-be-tight, but no real burning areas, goes on / off tight, but with no struggle. Their larges were always too big. But this was way different. I measured the distance of the interior opening front to back, and the new helmet was 3/4" shorter than the other two. This was the hard shell part, not any padding that compacts over time. I didn't even bother wearing this one for more than just a few minutes...my ears still hurt a little from 2 days ago.

Talked to a Cycle World guy today, and he said they made this model with a tighter opening so that wind noise is reduced. While there, I tried on a plain RF1400 in large, and it came off a lot better, but it's also a less snug. It's not sloppy loose, but not sure if a large would suit me. The CW guy looked to see if they could order a large for me, but nada...only XL. The place I bought it from told me the medium I ordered was their very last one. I think I've seent 1 or 2 available in large...but not at the price of the medium...I thought I had one at $470, turns out it wasn't available, found the medium at $510...but now I see a few larges at $575...it's spiraling in the wrong direction, and much more now than my desired range of $300-350.

Might have to try the HJC...the i71 felt nice and I kinda like the Iorix white-orange at $270. Disappointed, but what to do?
 
I'll tell ya what, Pdedse, if you want something vintage in a similar color pattern, if you haven't checked out the HJC V10, I tried one on not too long ago, and it's very comfortable, and isn't useless for having vintage style. And not too spendy.
 
I like this helmet.
If it were mine, I would add some color accents to the top because it looks too bald :cool:
 
Back
Top