Shoei NEOTEC II

Obliviontoad

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just replaced my accident damaged HJC with a Shoei Neotec II Modular. Pretty impressed with the weight and design of this helmet.
I have heard the horror stories warning that modulars are deadly, and you will shave your face off in an accident.
I'm pretty confident that this Shoei is going to do it's job, and have been impressed with its fit and finish.
Wasn't looking to spend a lot of cash on a helmet. But when the option was presented, this one stood out as a compromise between operability and usability.
Adding bluetooth headsets is, well, limited, but the version intended for it is not exorbitant in price and fits perfectly.
I've only had the helmet for the last month or so, and the only drawback is the unfortunate lack of utilization of the CB 1000 helmet lock.
Otherwise, very happy with this lightweight and well designed piece of kit.
 
Obliviontoad, are you OK? How did your HJC get damaged?

I'm interested in why you are unable to use the CB1100's helmet lock?
 
if you have such big concerns it is better to give up biking...because in a ""simple"" accident- Your helmet only gets ev. 2-3 simple scratches without a heavy blow, the chances are much greater forever to lose a large part of the quality of life
 
Bazbro, I’m on my second Shark Helmet. I like them.

Mine has the ratchet fastener—a great improvement on the double D ring—which can (although it’s fiddly) be attached to the helmet lock with a small webbing loop built into one side of the strap.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Bazbro, I’m on my second Shark Helmet. I like them.

Mine has the ratchet fastener—a great improvement on the double D ring—which can (although it’s fiddly) be attached to the helmet lock with a small webbing loop built into one side of the strap.
We chose ours because of the variety of temperatures we ride in on the same day. In the French Alps (as Alprider will confirm!) temperatures can vary from the mid-30s C (90F+) in the valleys to single figures C (below 50F) up in the mountains, in evenings. The flip front is excellent - motorway rides, chinbar down but cruising round town, chinbar up!

What drew you to Shark, Cormanus? I love the design, clever and lightweight for what's offered, and also the quality, though Shoei's and Arai's are the top notch Japanese ones. (British Police motorcyclists use Arai)

I, too, like the ratchet straps. Much more convenient than a D-ring, though maybe not quite as strong? But we're talking "rip yer head off" strength so I think I'll happily stick with the ratchet strap!

Not tried to lock it on the CB yet! :)
 
Ratchet straps are indeed convenient. I use a Nolan modular, but I have to say the Shark offerings have been improving over recent years. Arai is my preferred choice, but I remain open to other offerings.

In regards to helmets in general, modular and otherwise, and with forces that strong to be concerned about, I am sure your neck will turn in ways it was not meant to turn before worrying about a shaved face, and so on. Speaking of shaving, hmmm.
 
including the on-board tool, the monkey also has such a small loop with it...but with a ratchet...hopeless
 
Thread starter
My comment on the opinion of modulars not being as safe was really me not believing it. I have full confidence that this helmet is designed well.

As far as my accident, it was 2 years ago, and I have only now gotten back into the swing of things. Accident, medical fun, legal hijinks, insurance, settlement. I didn't want to make a big deal, and I'm pretty much ok. I haven't changed a thing.

I love the ratchet strap. Miss the helmet lock, but I have a place at work to store it when I commute.

By the way, did I mention I got the red one? :)
 
Bazbro_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Bazbro, I’m on my second Shark Helmet. I like them.

Mine has the ratchet fastener—a great improvement on the double D ring—which can (although it’s fiddly) be attached to the helmet lock with a small webbing loop built into one side of the strap.
We chose ours because of the variety of temperatures we ride in on the same day. In the French Alps (as Alprider will confirm!) temperatures can vary from the mid-30s C (90F+) in the valleys to single figures C (below 50F) up in the mountains, in evenings. The flip front is excellent - motorway rides, chinbar down but cruising round town, chinbar up!

What drew you to Shark, Cormanus? I love the design, clever and lightweight for what's offered, and also the quality, though Shoei's and Arai's are the top notch Japanese ones. (British Police motorcyclists use Arai)

I, too, like the ratchet straps. Much more convenient than a D-ring, though maybe not quite as strong? But we're talking "rip yer head off" strength so I think I'll happily stick with the ratchet strap!

Not tried to lock it on the CB yet! :)
I was in a shop trying on helmets; I tried one on and it was very comfortable. The price was reasonable, so I went with it.

It finally blew off a guide post at the top of Mt Wellington in Tasmania and developed a few nasty looking cracks so I replaced it with a more up to date model which, except for the ratchet chin lock, I'm not sure I like quite as much. However, I'd be happy to have another.

My helmet has a little, red webbing loop attached to one end of the ratchet. With care I can get it over the tongue on the CB1100's helmet lock. Of course, when I'm in a hurry it refuses to cooperate.
 
I have read many reports of guys going down with modulars and them not coming apart. I have been wearing a modular for years and have no concerns with it whatsoever.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have read many reports of guys going down with modulars and them not coming apart. I have been wearing a modular for years and have no concerns with it whatsoever.
I heard first generation modulars having issues during accidents, but that was so long ago. I have not read/heard anything in the past decade.
 
I love my Neo tech II except for one thing in heavy rains it gets the inside of the shield wet no matter what I do to try to stop it.

I've made sure I've got all the vents closed, that I have the shield down before the first drop and I've even put silicone lubricant on the seal itself but it still gets the raindrops coming down the inside of the shield... very annoying... I don't remember having that trouble on my HJC

With that sad the integrated Senna did work well... the other three guys all had trouble with their external Senna 20 I did not.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
I love my Neo tech II except for one thing in heavy rains it gets the inside of the shield wet no matter what I do to try to stop it.

I've made sure I've got all the vents closed, that I have the shield down before the first drop and I've even put silicone lubricant on the seal itself but it still gets the raindrops coming down the inside of the shield... very annoying... I don't remember having that trouble on my HJC

With that sad the integrated Senna did work well... the other three guys all had trouble with their external Senna 20 I did not.
Yeah, that is a drag. I never had that problem with any 3/4+ helmet, Shoei and otherwise.
 
Back
Top